Be Cool - "Get Shorty" Sequel

Started by CastCall, November 07, 2003, 01:08:23 PM

SiliasRuby

Saw this the other night and was really disapointed. Andyk basically said what I felt. That's all.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Pozer

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI've never seen Get Shorty, but I enjoyed this. I laughed enough and had a fun time with the film doing so many pokes at itself and the characters. It never really took itself seriously to make me think it was adapted from a novel of any respect. It's just an entertainment film.
I will never understand your taste.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: POZER
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI've never seen Get Shorty, but I enjoyed this. I laughed enough and had a fun time with the film doing so many pokes at itself and the characters. It never really took itself seriously to make me think it was adapted from a novel of any respect. It's just an entertainment film.

Until you seriously want to try, I'll take it as a good thing.

Pubrick

Quote from: POZER
what's there to understand, he likes random shit.
under the paving stones.

Recce

Man, I hate movies like this. Its like they didn't even try cause they had the hype from the 'Get Shorty' fans and John Travolta and Uma Thurman. Editing wise, it was amateurish. Without trying to brag, if I had a few days with the movie, I could have tightened it up. They had these scenes that would just go on and on cause they thought the improv was funny I guess. Damn, its mind-boggling how amateurish it was. The characters were all pretty annoying, and not in the good way. What the fuck was with the assasin guy and the coleslaw. Its like they sat around and went 'we have to give him a tick, what could it be? Let's make him a really annoyingly sloppy eater. Like he never swallows. Won't that seem really obviously fake? Naw, it'll be fine.'
And then you have vince vaughn, which I guess was supposed to be funny, but I jsut felt like walking towards the screen and start beating the crap out of his projection. Anyway, that's my opinion.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Finn

It's awful...really awful. Enough said.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Recce

Just saw Get Shorty for the very first time today, and it jsut made Be cool worse for me. They just did the same jokes in the sequel as they did in the first one. What the fuck is that? It was ridiculous how identical the films are. I'd go into a list, but there are seriously too many and its late. Fuck, I hate Be Cool.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

metroshane

Has anyone read Be Cool?  If you had, you might have realized that the book is also just a cheap copy of Get Shorty.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

life_boy

I thought Be Cool was a little too self-referential and self-aware for my taste.  It has been a while since I've seen Get Shorty (my memories of the film are good) but I seem to remember it having more going for it than the one-joke premise of the Hitman-in-Hollywood ("the film industry is just like organized crime except less honest" type thing).  In Be Cool, that is basically the whole setup of the film (except now it takes on the music industry).  For a two hour movie (even one with half a dozen major supporting characters), that is a pretty flimsy foundation.  I wanted to enjoy this at least on a pure entertainment level and still couldn't do it.  Everyone was just running around setting each other up while dismissing each character's stereotype by having some unexpected quirk.  But, the characters weren't funny, they weren't endearing and they were all written so thinly that to give them so much screentime only made the film far less interesting than it could have been had it just tried to keep up with all of the double-crosses.  Instead of being fun or interesting it was just sad.  What a waste.