The Party's Over

Started by boombanglarrabee, October 24, 2003, 11:57:52 PM

boombanglarrabee

An Interview with Philip Seymour Hoffman
by Jonathan W. Hickman

“Voting could be a lot easier.” Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman called me to talk about the new documentary entitled THE PARTY’S OVER directed by Rebecca Chaiklin and Donovan Leitch. Hoffman narrates.

“When you think about it,” he said, “why can’t the voting be when people aren’t working? Like on Saturday, or over two days, or from 4 to midnight or something. It sounds crazy, but it is bad enough that people aren’t voting period. Some just can’t find the time. And the voting policies don’t make it easy for us.”

Hoffman’s memorable performances in BOOGIE NIGHTS, PUNCH DRUNK LOVE and others including this year’s OWNING MAHOWNY have solidified his position as one of the best actors of his generation. In THE PARTY’S OVER which covers the events leading up to the 2000 Presidential elections Hoffman surprisingly tells us that he was not very informed and got involved hosting the documentary because he wanted to educate himself.

I wanted to be as honest as I could about myself, I’m a college grad and everything, but I really didn’t know how someone was really elected.” Hoffman jumped right into the subject with a self-deprecating manner that humbly made him warm and sincere.

“As a kid I wasn’t that politically minded, my mother was a strong Democrat and brought me up that way. I guess I rebelled in a silly youthful way.” Hoffman added that his mother is now a judge and has been a wealth of information to him in that he has gone to her with questions he needed answered.

“The only way to change things is by voting,” he told me. I commented that in his documentary much time was devoted to protests which do tend to bring issues to the forefront when voting the bums out is not an option. “Still, the main problem is that most people aren’t voting period,” he reminded me.

At one point in the documentary, there is a concert outside the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles that goes badly out of control. Nine Inch Nails was the featured headliner and eventually the police took over clearing the streets with rubber bullets and night sticks. “[Police] enforcement in LA was definitely worse than in Philadelphia [site of the Republication National Convention]. I got the impression that the cops were Hell-bent on making you feel scared and intimidated.” Hoffman related that at one point he was pushed by a Police officer for just trying to get to his car. Meanwhile inside the convention, there was no evidence of unrest.

Hoffman indicated that he is very interested in how many people actually vote in the California recall election. “How many people voted, that’s what I want to know. During the last Presidential election something like 35% of the registered voters voted. Just think what would happen if 65% voted, Gore would have been elected and we would have a third party.”

I asked Hoffman about the fact that THE PARTY’S OVER does have a somewhat liberal (perhaps that is too strong) slant to it. He did agree that there was a slant, however, “the film speaks to everybody on the level of voting. Voting is the most powerful thing.”

Hoffman told me that one of the enlightening things he learned was that the volunteers at the polls were predominately part of an older generation of Americans that may have a greater appreciation for the act or privilege of voting. “Voting is understandably important to them, but this generation may have lost touch as well.

THE PARTY’S OVER does make a good point that there may be very little difference between the Democrat and Republican parties come election time. “There is a big difference between the two parties. But when campaigning, there doesn’t seem to be because everyone wants to appear centrist.” It is only later once they are in power that they show that they aren’t centrist at all, Hoffman said pointing to the fact that Bush has proven to be way more Right than previously represented.

“Do what I did, get informed, read what the candidates stand for, find out what the issues are and vote, vote, vote. The people do hold the power.” Hoffman’s film THE PARTY’S OVER opens in limited theatrical screenings this month.

Xixax

Man, this sounds great!

I'm at a real disadvantage being a conservative Republican, though. The best documentaries are all made by liberals. I still enjoy them, though. The way Democrats enjoy Rush. I watch to make my blood boil. Plus, I can appreciate the medium, ya know?

Can't wait to see this one.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

molly

Elections in Croatia are on 23. november, and things are looking... hm...
I'm going to vote, definetely, because, if those conservative idiots can be disciplined, so can I!

this wasn't meant offensive to any of you here. Conservatives in Croatia are a special sort. Actually, they like to call themselves conservatives, but the rest of the world calls them different, and doesn't look forward seing them in the government.

Find Your Magali

My Film Movement DVD of "The Party's Over" just arrived in the mail this week. I'm looking forward to watching it very soon, and then listening to the PSH/Chaiklin commentary.