2005 MTV Movie Awards

Started by MacGuffin, May 04, 2005, 02:58:48 PM

MacGuffin

Fallon to Return As MTV Movie Awards Host

Jimmy Fallon will return as host of the MTV Movie Awards.

"I'm kinda bummed because I thought I had a shot at being named Pope ... but this is cool, too," Fallon said Wednesday in a statement to The Associated Press. He hosted the 2001 MTV Movie Awards and the 2002 Video Music Awards.

The 14th annual awards ceremony will be taped June 4 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. The show will air June 9 (8:30 p.m. ET).

"Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy" and "Mean Girls" top the nominees, with four each. Nominations for "Mean Girls" include best female performance for Lindsay Lohan. "Anchorman" star Will Ferrell is nominated for best comedic performance.

The nominees for best movie are "Kill Bill: Vol. 2," "The Incredibles," "Spider-Man 2," "Ray" and "Napoleon Dynamite."

MTV has added two new categories: best frightened performance and best videogame based on a movie, which join a slate of categories such as best fight, best kiss and best action sequence.

Nominees were chosen through a national poll of MTV and MTV2 viewers. Winners will be decided by viewer voting by phone or online at MTV.com.

Fallon, 30, co-stars with Drew Barrymore in the hardball romantic comedy "Fever Pitch," now in theaters.

Nominees for the 2005 MTV Movie Awards:

Best Movie
"Kill Bill Vol. 2"
"Napoleon Dynamite"
"Spider-Man 2"
"Ray"
"The Incredibles"

Best Male Performance
Jamie Foxx - "Ray"
Will Smith - "Hitch"
Brad Pitt - "Troy"
Matt Damon - "The Bourne Supremacy"
Leonardo DiCaprio - "The Aviator"

Best Female Performance
Uma Thurman - "Kill Bill Vol. 2"
Lindsay Lohan - "Mean Girls"
Hilary Swank - "Million Dollar Baby"
Rachel McAdams - "The Notebook"
Natalie Portman - "Garden State"

Best Comedic Performance
Antonio Banderas - "Shrek 2"
Dustin Hoffman - "Meet the Fockers"
Will Ferrell - "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy"
Ben Stiller - "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"
Will Smith - "Hitch"

Best On-Screen Team
Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert and Amanda Seyfried - "Mean Girls"
Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Spencer Fox and Sarah Vowell - "The Incredibles"
Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Fred Armisen and Steve Carell - "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy"
Vince Vaughn, Christine Taylor, Justin Long, Alan Tudyk, Stephen Root, Joel David Moore and Chris Williams - "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"
John Cho and Kal Penn - "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle"

Best Villain
Tom Cruise - "Collateral"
Ben Stiller - "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"
Rachel McAdams - "Mean Girls"
Jim Carrey - "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events"
Alfred Molina - "Spider-Man 2"

Breakthrough Performance Male
Jon Heder - "Napoleon Dynamite"
Tim McGraw - "Friday Night Lights"
Zach Braff - "Garden State"
Freddie Highmore - "Finding Neverland"
Tyler Perry - "Diary of a Mad Black Woman"

Breakthrough Performance Female
Rachel McAdams - "Mean Girls"
Ashanti - "Coach Carter"
Elisha Cuthbert - "The Girl Next Door"
Bryce Dallas Howard - "The Village"
Emmy Rossum - "The Day After Tomorrow"

Best Action Sequence
Destruction of Los Angeles - "The Day After Tomorrow"
The Subway Battle - "Spider-Man 2"
Beverly Hills Plane Crash - "The Aviator"
The Moscow Car Chase - "The Bourne Supremacy"
The Desert Terrorist Assault - "Team America: World Police"

Best Fight
The Battle of the News Teams - "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy"
Daryl Hannah vs. Uma Thurman - "Kill Bill Vol. 2"
Brad Pitt vs. Eric Bana - "Troy"
Ziyi Zhang vs. The Emperor's Guards - "House of Flying Daggers"

Best Kiss
Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling - "The Notebook"
Natalie Portman and Zach Braff - "Garden State"
Gwyneth Paltrow and Jude Law - "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"
Jennifer Garner and Natassia Malthe - "Elektra"
Elisha Cuthbert and Emile Hirsch - "The Girl Next Door"

Best Musical Performance
Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo (Thriller Dance) - "13 Going On 30"
Will Ferrell, Paul Rudd, Fred Armisen and Steve Carell (Afternoon Delight) - "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy"
John Cho and Kal Penn (Hold On) - "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle"
Jon Heder (Election Dance) - "Napoleon Dynamite"

Best Frightened Performance
Cary Elwes - "Saw"
Sarah Michelle Gellar - "The Grudge"
Jennifer Tilly - "Seed of Chucky"
Mya - "Cursed"
Dakota Fanning - "Hide and Seek"

Best Video Game Based On A Movie
"Spider-Man 2"
"Van Helsing"
"Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay"
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"
"The Incredibles"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: MacGuffin
Nominees for the 2005 MTV Movie Awards:

Best Movie
"Napoleon Dynamite"

Best Male Performance
Jamie Foxx - "Ray"

Best Female Performance
Natalie Portman - "Garden State"

Best Comedic Performance
Will Ferrell - "Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy"

Best On-Screen Team
Vince Vaughn, Christine Taylor, Justin Long, Alan Tudyk, Stephen Root, Joel David Moore and Chris Williams - "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story"

Best Villain
Jim Carrey - "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events"

Breakthrough Performance Male
Jon Heder - "Napoleon Dynamite"

Breakthrough Performance Female
Elisha Cuthbert - "The Girl Next Door"

Best Action Sequence
Beverly Hills Plane Crash - "The Aviator"

Best Fight
Daryl Hannah vs. Uma Thurman - "Kill Bill Vol. 2"

Best Kiss
Elisha Cuthbert and Emile Hirsch - "The Girl Next Door"

Best Musical Performance
Jon Heder (Election Dance) - "Napoleon Dynamite"

Best Frightened Performance
Sarah Michelle Gellar - "The Grudge"

Best Video Game Based On A Movie
I have no idea.
[/size]

Those are my predictions for who I think will win, not who I want to win.  MTV loves giving Carrey awards.  Also, these awards are shit.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Gold Trumpet

Doesn't matter who wins, Rachel Mcadams is showing dominance in the nominations. More so than even MTV's beloved Jim Carrey ever did. A star is born.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetDoesn't matter who wins, Rachel Mcadams is showing dominance in the nominations. More so than even MTV's beloved Jim Carrey ever did. A star is born.
is that who ur avatar is sposed to be? if so, ur not doing her any favors, that's the worst picture u could possibly display.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: The Gold TrumpetDoesn't matter who wins, Rachel Mcadams is showing dominance in the nominations. More so than even MTV's beloved Jim Carrey ever did. A star is born.
is that who ur avatar is sposed to be? ur not doign her any favors, that's the worst picture u could possibly display.

Ah, so you know the gamet of pictures she has taken? Or wait, you're just finding out that is her? Hmmmm...even though I like it, no worries, a new one is coming shortly.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Fuck nominations, Carrey has won a ridiculous number of those space statues.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

MacGuffin

Quote from: sundown all overMTV loves giving Carrey awards.

Quote from: MacGuffinWinners will be decided by viewer voting by phone or online at MTV.com.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

MacGuffin

Eminem to Perform at 2005 Movie Awards

Nine Inch Nails and Eminem will perform at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards. The 14th annual awards show, hosted by Jimmy Fallon, will be taped June 4 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. The show will air June 9.

Nine Inch Nails will perform their single "The Hand That Feeds," and Eminem will perform his new single, "Ass Like That," MTV announced Tuesday.

Presenters include Hilary Swank, Vin Diesel, Jessica Simpson, Johnny Knoxville, Jessica Alba, Hilary Duff, Zach Braff, Lindsay Lohan, Billy Bob Thornton and Katie Holmes.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: PubrickEmiwho?

I know..

People are still listening to his music? Must be the last gasp..

MacGuffin

'Breakfast Club' Crew to Reunite on MTV

Don't you forget about "The Breakfast Club" At the 2005 MTV Movie Awards, to air June 9, the network plans to reunite the cast of the classic '80s movie, the cable channel said Friday.

Though Emilio Estevez, who played Andrew Clark, isn't confirmed, in attendance will be Molly Ringwald (Claire Standish), Ally Sheedy (Allison Reynolds), Anthony Michael Hall (Brian Johnson) and Judd Nelson (John Bender).

The 1985 film was directed by John Hughes, who had a string of hit films starring young people during the decade, among them "Sixteen Candles," "Weird Science," "Pretty in Pink" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

Yellowcard will perform the film's theme song, "Don't You Forget About Me," from the 1985 film. The song was originally recorded by Simple Minds.

This year's awards will be hosted by Jimmy Fallon. To be taped June 4 at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, the show's scheduled performers include Mariah Carey and Eminem.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

the kids who watch this show were born after that movie came out.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

MTV Jabs at Award Show Conventions

Not even award shows are safe from ridicule at the MTV Movie Awards. The ceremony known for its lighthearted celebration and skewering of films and actors turned on itself Saturday night, jabbing at everything from acceptance speech advocacy to booming TV announcers.

Ben Stiller won best villain for his role as a menacing gym owner in "Dodgeball" and raised an egg in his hand to demonstrate the evils of high cholesterol.

"Take a look at this little fella. He's killed more people than all the Hollywood bad guys combined," Stiller said. "Crush cholesterol now!"

Host Jimmy Fallon got into a heated verbal argument with the disembodied show announcer, who said he would fight Fallon in person. But when a masked man ran out onstage and Fallon knocked him down some steps, the announcer revealed: "You just killed Frankie Muniz."

In another segment, Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn coached a young man on how to get into parties, but their pupil was stopped and beaten by a bouncer at the MTV Awards red carpet.

Eminem referenced his run-in with Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at a past award show by mimicking the puppet to tease Lindsay Lohan.

"You like to remake movies," he said, referencing "Freaky Friday" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded." "What are you going to remake next, 'Glitter'?"

There was also a rare hint of nostalgia in evidence as the youth-focused cable network gave out its first lifetime achievement award to Tom Cruise and honored the 1985 film "The Breakfast Club"

Cruise accepted the award from girlfriend Katie Holmes, who poked fun at his "Oprah" appearance by dropping down on one knee in celebration and asking the crowd "Should I go get him?"

Laughing, Cruise moved slowly through his remarks and told yelling audience members, "Let me speak."

"If I've been able to entertain you at all, OK, then, I thank you for allowing me to do so," he said.

Hilary Swank introduced a reunion of four members of "The Breakfast Club" cast, saying the film about students brought together in high school detention reflected "the good, the bad and the ugly of teenage wasteland."

Star Molly Ringwald said the movie was made "for the MTV generation. We made it for you!"

"I had no idea that we would be here 20 years later and it would still mean so much," she said.

Dustin Hoffman, in accepting his award for comedic performance for "Meet the Fockers," said he was making an effort to keep in touch with the younger generation by copying Eminem. He stepped away from the podium and grabbed his crotch between each thank-you.

Rachel McAdams took home three awards, including breakthrough female performance for her role as the meanest of "Mean Girls" and best kiss for her rain-soaked smooch with Ryan Gosling in "The Notebook." The two recreated the kiss on stage and Gosling gushed, "Look, it was my pleasure."

McAdams' third award, for on-screen team, was shared with "Mean Girls" co-star Lohan, who also received the award for best female performance.

"Watch out for the paparazzi," said Lohan, who hosted last year's show and was slightly injured when a celebrity photographer crashed into her Mercedes-Benz last week.

"Napoleon Dynamite" was named best movie and star Jon Heder received two awards: breakthrough male performance and best musical performance for his awkward talent-show dance moves set to a Jamiroquai song.

"I want to thank Michael Jackson, John Travolta, Justin Timberlake," Heder said, referring to the inspirations for his dance moves.

Other winners included Leonardo DiCaprio for male performance in "The Aviator" and Daryl Hannah and Uma Thurman for best fight in "Kill Bill Vol. 2."

Child actress Dakota Fanning won best frightened performance in "Hide and Seek," saying of her Golden Popcorn trophy, "This is the best popcorn I've ever had."

Cruise carried Fanning, his "War of the Worlds" co-star, on stage as they later presented an award together. "It's part of her contract. I have to carry her everywhere," he said.

The awards handed out at the Shrine Auditorium were based on fan votes. The show will be broadcast June 9.

List of winners at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards, taped Saturday night in Los Angeles:

Best Movie: "Napoleon Dynamite."

Male Performance: Leonardo DiCaprio, "The Aviator"

Female Performance: Lindsay Lohan, "Mean Girls."

On-screen Team: Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Lacey Chabert, Amanda Seyfried, "Mean Girls."

Best Kiss: Rachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling, "The Notebook."

Best Villain: Ben Stiller, "Dodgeball."

Dance Sequence: Jon Heder, Napoleon Dynamite."

Breakthrough Male: Jon Heder, "Napoleon Dynamite."

Breakthrough Female: Rachel McAdams, "Mean Girls."

Best Fight: Uma Thurman vs. Daryl Hannah, "Kill Bill: Vol. 2."

Best Frightened Performance: Dakota Fanning, "Hide and Seek."

Comedic Performance: Dustin Hoffman, "Meet the Fockers."

Lifetime Achievement Award: Tom Cruise.

Lindsay Lohan runs around the stage after accepting the award for best female performance for her work in "Mean Girls," during the MTV Movie Awards on Saturday, June 4, 2005, in Los Angeles.

Skeleton FilmWorks