Inception

Started by modage, August 24, 2009, 10:21:41 AM

Robyn

OH SHIT, HOW DID HE DO THAT!?

picolas

it was only attached at the top. he crawled under the bottom. this is clearly shown during the explanation-montage where he's chipping away underneath the poster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhZuEtYWSo#t=6m19s

ps. i love universe spoilers.

jtm

this is the most confusing thread ever.

i guess when i finally see this movie it might make sense then?!?!

RegularKarate

Quote from: Gamblour. on August 10, 2010, 07:42:50 PM
Haha that is a pretty big plot hole.

no, it's not.

His dad can't just kidnap the kids and take them to another country.  He wouldn't even be able to get them on a plane without some kind of consent.  The whole point is that the legal issue was going to be taken care of for him.  If he took his kids from the US, he would have been hunted down even more.

Also, it doesn't matter since seeing his kids again is all in his mind and has nothing to do with the US v France.

blackmirror

Quote from: picolas on August 10, 2010, 10:02:27 PM
ps. i love universe spoilers.

!

One more for you: it ends in a twist!

Quote from: jtm on August 11, 2010, 02:10:47 AM
this is the most confusing thread ever.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Quote from: jtm on August 11, 2010, 02:10:47 AM
i guess when i finally see this movie it might make sense then?!?!

jtm, if I were in your neck of the woods, I'd tell you to grab your hat, and we'd go catch it.  In fact, I'd round all of you up to go see it again.  One last hurrah before summer 2O1O vanishes . . .

pete

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 11, 2010, 12:25:18 PM
Quote from: Gamblour. on August 10, 2010, 07:42:50 PM
Haha that is a pretty big plot hole.

no, it's not.

His dad can't just kidnap the kids and take them to another country.  He wouldn't even be able to get them on a plane without some kind of consent.  The whole point is that the legal issue was going to be taken care of for him.  If he took his kids from the US, he would have been hunted down even more.

Also, it doesn't matter since seeing his kids again is all in his mind and has nothing to do with the US v France.

now you're making up legal complications.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Michael Caine DEFINITIVELY explains how Inception really ended
Source: SfyFy

If you're still trying to figure out that ending to Inception, you don't have to figure any more. Because the answer's out, from someone who should know—Michael Caine, who portrayed Leonardo DiCaprio's mentor and father-in-law in Christopher Nolan's mind-bending movie.

During an interview on BBC Radio 1 this morning, Caine was discussing his autobiography The Elephant to Hollywood, and the conversation came around to Inception's cryptic ending. (Hey, if YOU had him in the studio, wouldn't you bring it up?)

Asked whether DiCaprio's character Cobb made it home, or ended up trapped in a dream, Caine replied (and you'd better stop now if you really don't want to know):

"It's real life. ... If I'm in the scene then it's real. I'm never in the dreams."

Apparently, that's not only what Caine felt, but what Nolan intended to convey
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

That's probably just what Nolan told him, so he wouldn't try to play it as "crazy dream Michael Caine."
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Nolan wouldn't lie to Caine. He's Mike fucking Caine.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It's all Michael Caine's dream.

And overrated.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

polkablues

Quote from: Stefen on September 30, 2010, 02:57:02 PM

On the commentary track to the movie Sphere (yes, I've listened to the commentary track for Sphere... yes, I own the DVD of Sphere, deal with it), Sam Jackson talks about how, for the scene in which he first encounters the titular sphere, he was told that it was going to be silver, but the special effects people later decided to make it gold instead.  What we see on screen, Sam Jackson explained, is his silver sphere performance.  His gold sphere performance would have been totally different.

I've never been able to figure out if he was kidding or not, but I know this; Michael Caine would not kid about that.  He would have a gold sphere performance, a silver sphere performance, and a rainbow sphere performance in his back pocket just in case.  If you tell Michael Caine that the scene is taking place in a dream, goddamnit, he's going to give you a this-is-a-dream performance.  Chris Nolan is a smart guy.  He knows how to handle a Michael Caine.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

Quote from: polkablues on September 30, 2010, 05:25:22 PM
Quote from: Stefen on September 30, 2010, 02:57:02 PM

On the commentary track to the movie Sphere (yes, I've listened to the commentary track for Sphere... yes, I own the DVD of Sphere, deal with it), Sam Jackson talks about how, for the scene in which he first encounters the titular sphere, he was told that it was going to be silver, but the special effects people later decided to make it gold instead.  What we see on screen, Sam Jackson explained, is his silver sphere performance.  His gold sphere performance would have been totally different.

I've never been able to figure out if he was kidding or not, but I know this; Michael Caine would not kid about that.  He would have a gold sphere performance, a silver sphere performance, and a rainbow sphere performance in his back pocket just in case.  If you tell Michael Caine that the scene is taking place in a dream, goddamnit, he's going to give you a this-is-a-dream performance.  Chris Nolan is a smart guy.  He knows how to handle a Michael Caine.

Haha sweet post, totally agree.

To me it is an absolutely certain that the end means one of two things:
1: It's a dream.
2: We can choose what we want.

For Michael Caine to say that Nolan wanted to convey that this is absolutely real life makes no sense. It's just obvious that he told Caine that so he could have a certain performance.

matt35mm

This is absolute proof that it was a dream.

Pas

Quote from: matt35mm on September 30, 2010, 06:05:50 PM
This is absolute proof that it was a dream.

Yeah I would almost say so too.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pas on September 30, 2010, 05:56:44 PM

To me it is an absolutely certain that the end means one of two things:
1: It's a dream.
2: We can choose what we want.

This could be said about any movie ever.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye