Luke Haines/Auteurs/Black Box Recorder Commentary Thread

Started by Mesh, June 05, 2003, 04:48:00 PM

Mesh

godardian made me this huge 3-disc comp. of music in this category. I felt like sharing my thoughts as they pop up.  Sorry if I'm boring.

- "Get Wrecked at Home" is a fantastic b-side.  It just might be my favorite track on the comp thusfar.  Something very late-era Beatles about it, but so syrupy, so alienated.  Stunning production.  Only an excellent album would be able to spare this one.

- "Brutality," a BBR b-side.  Was that a cover?  Hmmm....

- Selections from BBR's Facts of Life: I'd say I was initially grabbed by about half of these.  "The English Motorway System" and "The Facts of Life," especially.

...more as I continue on through it....

Mesh

- "England Made Me" - so Wall-era Pink Floyd, in its off-kilter way (or does it sound like "Learning to Fly"?).  I heard this song years ago on a Jetset comp. and it made me remember its name.

- "Child Psychology" - I think I heard this one before, too.  Brutal.  Pretty and brutal.

Mesh

- First couple tracks from After Murder Park:  whoa.  Strange.  This may take some getting used to.  Not what I was expecting.  "Land Lovers" kinda sounds like The Coral.  Odd.

godardian

It can definitely be said of Mr. Haines's work: The more it changes, the more it stays the same. Thematically, at least. A little paranoia, a little misanthropy, a little social-critic savagery. Add a hint of music-geekdom and a dash of class-consciousness, and serve ice-cold. Ahh, refreshing.

"Brutality" isn't a cover... the only covers BBR has done are "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" (which I think is a beautiful version, from the John Peel show), "Seasons in the Sun" (!), the giant UK seventies hit "Up Town Top Ranking" in a sinister, slowed-down version, and an obscurity called "Lord Lucan is Missing."

Glad you're enjoying, Mesh. You're the board's resident muso, so it'll be interesting to hear your takes. So many Pink Floyd comparisons already, though! :?

Anyone else wants a copy of this comp, PM me where to send it and I'm willing to get a copy to you.  Nothing would make me happier than seeing Luke Haines get the discussion and attention he so richly deserves. With his various projects and pseudonyms, he's like a post-mod Phil Spector, a pop maestro with an agenda.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Mesh claims Haines stuff sounds like Pink Floyd and sometimes like Steely Dan (I've heard anything by SD, so I withhold comment for now).

The influences Haines acknowledges: The Adverts, The Fall, Nirvana (!). He claimed his solo stuff sounded like "Kraftwerk meets Steve Harley." Big non-musical influences: Lenny Bruce, Rudolph Valentino, and Situationism (if you read Greil Marcus's Lipstrick Traces, you really get a picture of how Haines has this impulse in common with The Sex Pistols).

Other unacknowledged influences I hear: The Smiths, Bowie (what with the "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" cover) and Bolan, Velvet Underground, Pulp, Air (on BBR), Dylan (on early Auteurs).

He's long had a withering opinion of the public obsession with the royal family; on tour in 2000, as a deliciously pointed satirical gesture, Black Box Recorder always took the stage to the thundering sound of Elton John's "English Rose" version of "Candle in the Wind" cranked up to 10 on the PA.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Mesh

Quote from: godardianMesh claims Haines stuff sounds like Pink Floyd and sometimes like Steely Dan (I've heard anything by SD, so I withhold comment for now).

The Pink Floyd I hear only in spots, and more in BBR than in the rest.  As for Steely Dan: LH/A/BBR sound nothing like them, I just see a similar musical syrup to lyrical salt ratio.  Tha's all.

Quote from: godardianOther unacknowledged influences I hear: The Smiths, Bowie (what with the "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" cover) and Bolan...

I've heard all of these in what I've heard so far....to some extent.

Nirvana?

Mesh

Quote from: godardian...the board's resident muso....

Well.  Only if you mean "muso" in the sense of "someone who knows a lot about popular Western music."

I'm used to "muso" meaning "musician"—and I'm only a passable drummer at best.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: godardian

Nirvana?

He probably meant the Steve Albini connection. Though some of the earlier Auteurs stuff (esp. off Now I'm a Cowboy) has some pretty loud/dirty guitar.

Mesh

- "Kenneth Anger's Bad Dream" - On first listen, thumbs down.  Maybe I'm missing something lyrical.  Or I just don't get it.  Eh.

- "Lenny Valentino" - This, though, I like.  Like The Smiths meets Iron Maiden or something (that guitar just almost goes metal).  I figured I might be partial to the early Auteurs stuff......Onward.

- "I'm a Rich Man's Toy" - I'm calling this song "Pet Shop Pixies" from now on.  Interesting.  Very interesting.  This Auteurs stuff will grow on me—surely.

Also, I'm now starting to hear that obtuse Dylan influence.....

Mesh

- The Baader Meinhof stuff - On a strictly sonic level, this might be my favorite section of the comp.  I like the spacious, varied arrangements; also, the mixed media feel (rock guitar, strings, electro beats, etc.) is appealing to me.  Production is uniformly excellent, too.  Some of this has a almost goofy, They Might Be Giants feel to it (say, the second version of "Baader Meinhof").  I mean that in a good way.

godardian

Quote from: Mesh- "Kenneth Anger's Bad Dream" - On first listen, thumbs down.  Maybe I'm missing something lyrical.  Or I just don't get it.  Eh.

- "Lenny Valentino" - This, though, I like.  Like The Smiths meets Iron Maiden or something (that guitar just almost goes metal).  I figured I might be partial to the early Auteurs stuff......Onward.

- "I'm a Rich Man's Toy" - I'm calling this song "Pet Shop Pixies" from now on.  Interesting.  Very interesting.  This Auteurs stuff will grow on me—surely.

Also, I'm now starting to hear that obtuse Dylan influence.....

The "Lucifer Rising" bit is the only thing directly to do with Anger in the song, maybe... though the whole thing, the horror of "the man outside who wants to tear the fan club down" seems to speak of a "serious" vs. "pop" confrontation, and of course 'ol Ken was always on the side of the fan clubs and gossip pages. I like the relaxed, narrative tone, though... esp. the strings. Definitely not their best song, though.

Speaking of which, who could that star-fixated man (c. 1993, when he was apparently just a lad who smoked way too many cigarettes- could that rasp really be emanating from that baby face? These days, he looks much more the evil Eurotrash genius, with his balding stark-bleached-blonde hair and impeccable suits) in my latest avatar be?

godardian

So, when one is familiarized with the Haines catalog and one knows that I consider him the premier pop artiste of our time, what does one recommend I familiarize myself with that might have a similar appeal? Especially when one is a muso (a term I use to mean someone whose knowledge and analysis of music ascends to gloriously obsessive and thorough levels, even though I know it means "technically proficient musician" when it comes down to it)

Mesh

Quote from: godardianSo, when one is familiarized with the Haines catalog and one knows that I consider him the premier pop artiste of our time, what does one recommend I familiarize myself with that might have a similar appeal?

Our time:  I'll go with 80s/90s/00s.

Pop artistes:  A subject I'm not at all ready to call myself "expert" in; it's not really an area I'm too good at making recommendations in.  But I'll try to name a few I haven't seen much of in this or other xixax.com music threads....

- David Bryne/Talking Heads
- Joy Division/New Order
- Bjork
- Will Oldham/Palace/Bonnie "Prince" Billy (I mention him because I remember you mentioning Arab Strap somewhere....)

Or were you hoping for some far-lesser-knowns?

godardian

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: godardian

Or were you hoping for some far-lesser-knowns?

Maybe... I'm pretty familiar with all the ones you mentioned and have at least one release by them (if not approaching their whole catalog, as with Joy Division/New Order).

Mesh

Quote from: godardianMaybe...[some lesser knowns would be good]

This is far-left-field (and also pre-80s), but:

Have you heard any of Brian Eno's solo pop music?