What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

snaporaz

Quote from: Banky
Quote from: snaporaz
Quote from: BankyI said off the top of my head beacuse all these movies adorn posters on my wall.

no you didn't.

however i do understand the difference of opinion between "favourite" and "best".

still...keep getting pissed about it if you want.

I really feel sorry for you.  First you criticize a list of "favourite" movies, which you had not right to do.  Then you call me a liar and give me flack for a spelling error.  You obviously are taking personal jabs at me for some reason, maybe your just trying to make entertaining post for people to read or you just wanted to pick a fight to get a rise out of me.  So whatever, if you want to be the victor in this scenario take the win.  I come on here to discuss movies in a casual enviroment and enjoy myself.  I wish people like you would stop scrutinizing others in such an unnecessary way.  It just brings down the whole site and turns it into something it should not be.

jesus christ, man. take a break.

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteI really feel sorry for you. First you criticize a list of "favourite" movies, which you had not right to do. Then you call me a liar and give me flack for a spelling error. You obviously are taking personal jabs at me for some reason, maybe your just trying to make entertaining post for people to read or you just wanted to pick a fight to get a rise out of me. So whatever, if you want to be the victor in this scenario take the win. I come on here to discuss movies in a casual enviroment and enjoy myself. I wish people like you would stop scrutinizing others in such an unnecessary way. It just brings down the whole site and turns it into something it should not be.

Cry me a river.... Cry me a river... The damage is done, so I guess I'll be leaving... Oooo! The damage is done...

NERD ALERT!

Anyways, don't take somebody's stupid comments too seriously. Just look at these two I just made.

Now please continue with this amazingly popular thread I created awhile ago.

And I haven't even posted my own top 5. Someday....

chris

aclockworkjj

Quote from: BankyI come on here to discuss movies in a casual enviroment
No, you don't...stop lyin'.  Really you come here to have the hottest pics of the hottest chicks in your av.  Always.  Banky is full of shit everyone...his purpose here is that of a much greater one:

To constantly show us just how hot of chicks we could get in if we get that movie made.  

I feel you should all bow down, cause hardly anyone provides the inspiration that of Banky's Bitches.

coffeebeetle

Sorry to break the Banky's Bitches topic, but since I'm new here I just wanted to post my fave five real quick (constantly changing BTW):

1) Lantana
2) Hard Eight
3) Married to the Mob (hey, it's funny as hell)
4) Hedwig and the Angry Inch
5) In a Lonely Place

P.S. I hope to see more Banky Bitches in the near future.  And no, I won't whack off to them.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: coffeebeetle253) Married to the Mob (hey, it's funny as hell)

Heck yeah, it is!  Definitely a classic (and surpringly well-made too, for a comedy).  I love how the end credits are filled w/ outtakes and deleted scenes, a nice way to end it (plus we get more clown-Issak, always a plus).

aclockworkjj

Quote from: XIXAXAmerican Movie
very interesting...realize though, Mike and Mark are not good examples of the film students/makers in that area...however, if some people had the determination and will as Mark, there would be a lot more great filmmakers nowdays.

Chris Smith and Sarah Price seemed pretty cool thou.  It was kinda neat they had this big premiere in Milwaukee at the time with all of them showing up. Of course, us film geeks got the heads up as well as the first dibs on tickets.

I love , it shows the best example of a typical wisconsin accent, ya know der hey.

You can even call mike...414-466-Mike...I can vouch that it's a real Milwaukee area code, though, I have never felt the need to call him..haha!

SoNowThen

That's in my top 25. I love that fucking movie.

JJ, do you know why Chris and Sarah decided to do this doc, and how they heard about Mark, and why he gave permission?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenJJ, do you know why Chris and Sarah decided to do this doc, and how they heard about Mark, and why he gave permission?
they were all students in the film school at UW-Milwaukee, and hooked up that way...thou, if I am not mistaken, I believe Chris and Sarah (I can't remember if Sarah was technically a film student...as they were there before my time...talking like 1995) were doing independent study type stuff (it's set up there that your first 2 years are the basic required classes, then you need to pass into junior study and the last 2 years are essentailly an independent study), and I think Mark was dealing with the bullshit classes I had to take (I don't think Mark ever got an actual degree, but chris and sarah did).  Really Mark's enthusiasm towards film is one in a million, as much as I wanted to just laugh at the guy, he poccesses something I wish I saw more of.  He loves making films...plain and simple, and will do anything just to be able to do that.  I really respect that.  It's kinda cool though, there is this street in milwaukee called Brady Street (sorta the low-key, chill, somewhat artsy bar scene in Milwaukee..compared to the wannabe clubs in the heart of downtown), we used to see Mike chillin' around there drinkin' coffee or something all the time.  He's a really nice guy too, though a total burn out like portrayed.  

I am not for certain though, so don't quote me on exactly how Chis got involved with Mark, as I don't know them, only shook a few hands the night of the premiere.  I love watchin' that movie though, as there are scenes from the very same editing room, classrooms, and the courtyard outside Mitchel Hall (the film program is in the basement of this building) that I used to frequent many a late nights.  I miss it, sorta, but like I said, I still owe the dept. $50 for breaking a broken camera....so screw them.  

Here here is "my" bar on brady st...it was sweet, one of the only bars there that would show world soccer games...they even offered Nomad soccer jerseys 4 sale...

ElPandaRoyal

this a top 10 made somewhat quickly:

Manhattan
Taxi Driver
The Royal Tenenbaums
Jackie Brown
Magnolia
Jules and Jim
Annie Hall
A Clockwork Orange
The Big Lebowski
Blue Velvet

and,as said before, "a million fucking others"...
Si

chinaski40

impossible to limit it to 5, it's too hard to decide why you like your #5 film from your #15 film.  A top forty is needed, but i'll name a few and whatever number it comes to, oh well, although many have done it before me, so i'm not upsetting the thread continuity:

Last Tango in Paris
La Dolce Vita
Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Boogie Nights, Sydney (the whole PTA chronicles)
Umberto D
L'Avventura
Taxi Driver
Citzen Kane
Pulp Fiction
Nights of Cabiria
The Phantom of Liberty
Belle de Jour
M
Jules and Jim
My Life to Live

That's off the top of the head; i'm sure i'm not setting any new trends here, but there you go...

Sanjuro

hi this is my first post, but ive been lurking ever since the pta board

heres my top 10, no order:

1. 8 1/2 (Fellini)
2. Ran (Kurosawa)
3. A Clockwork Orange (Kubrick)
4. Pierrot Le Fou (Godard)
5. Mulholland Dr. (Lynch)
6. The Last Temptation of Christ (Scorsese)
7. Citizen Kane (Welles)
8. Vertigo (Hitchcock)
9. Day for Night (Traffaut)
10. 2001: A Space Oddysey (Kubrick)
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

mister mister

I need you all to explain why you loved A Clockwork Orange - does it grow on you, is it some Kubrick thing thats totally revolutionary or what?

After finally seeing it, I immediately thought it was such a crap adaptation from the book, which I've read a fair bit.

It was just.. slow.

All the morality speeches and stuff towards the end were so unthrilling - the violence stuff at the start was so plain compared to the book.

I mean, don't just get pissed off because I haven't seen it a million times like most people here,  because its always good to have new perspectives on a film.. just coming from only reading the book, I was just really suprised of what it was really like. Anyway, thought I'd share the disolusionment.

maybe you'll remember the first time you saw it..

snaporaz

Quote from: heathermaybe you'll remember the first time you saw it..

i remember wanting to see it again.

Cecil

me too i watched it three times in a row, and then again the next day

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: aclockworkjjthey were all students in the film school at UW-Milwaukee

I'm thinking about going to that film school in milwaukee. I don't know. As a city, I'm just in love with Milwaukee. My own area is secluded so everytime I'm able to drive down there I go nuts and thats just for the two indie movie theatre houses. Is the film school down there any good?

~rougerum