Alethia

jtm

Quote from: ewardhaha liar

what?! ...explain urself.

Alethia

...i....was just kidding...... :oops:

jtm

Quote from: eward...i....was just kidding...... :oops:

oh, never mind then... i thought you were thinking that i meant that i had never heard of the scuba thing at all. when what i meant was, i didn't know pta based it on a true occurence.

Alethia

Link

A.I.'s one of my favorite movies.  Sure, it's flawed, but I like it like that anyway.  At first, I was with the people who said the better (and more Kubrick) ending would be leaving him frozen at the bottom of the water.  But now when I look at it, sure, that's what I would have done, had I made it, but I don't no of that's more "Kubrick" than the real ending.  In fact, I think the actual ending is more like him (as people have already pointed out, that ending was his idea).  He himself, of course, said that Spielberg was the ideal director for this movie, so I trust him.  I've come to love the last 15-20 minutes, and I really dig the Supermechas.  Also, the structure seems like his "non-submersible units" technique (http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/faq/index4.html, number 49).

Anyone been here?  http://www.mysteriesofai.com/index.htm

It analyzes it as a Jewish allegory.  It's an interesting read, but I think they're really pushing it.

One thing definitely missing that would have made it even more Kubrick was the "Kubrick Stare" (my favorite being Gomer Pyle's in Full Metal Jacket)

I find it extremely funny that Kubrick liked White Men Can't Jump.  I dunno why.

Derek

Quote from: AnubisGOJIs it just me, or does this movie actually have two endings? Let me explain: The Kubrick ending would have ended with David in the flyer, trapped for all eternity looking at his "blue fairy".

It irritates me when people assume this was when Kubrick wanted to end the film. It is a very presumptiuous statement, and somehow implies that Spielberg lessened the film by ending the movie on a so-called uplifting note, which really isn't true at all.

Kubrick didn't make A.I., Spielberg did. Would you prefer no one had at all?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Derek
Quote from: AnubisGOJIs it just me, or does this movie actually have two endings? Let me explain: The Kubrick ending would have ended with David in the flyer, trapped for all eternity looking at his "blue fairy".

It irritates me when people assume this was when Kubrick wanted to end the film. It is a very presumptiuous statement, and somehow implies that Spielberg lessened the film by ending the movie on a so-called uplifting note, which really isn't true at all.

Kubrick didn't make A.I., Spielberg did. Would you prefer no one had at all?

Thats a point that cant be stressed enough. And regards to Spielbergs ending, I find it a bit more depressing then if it had ended with David in the flyer.

He gets to live in an empty house without a shred of the hope he had in the flyer.

modage

You received criticism for A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Was is difficult to make a movie that was someone else's vision?

Spielberg: A.I. was an exhausting film to make. It had Stanley's (Kubrick) spirit in my ear. He was everywhere in my life. I was trying to put Stanley's vision on the screen. There were many things that I didn't do because it wasn't what Stanley would have done. On this film I was free again because it was the first film I had made since I made Stanley's movie and now I got to make my movie and it was a great feeling to not have to think 'what would Stanley do?' But the funny thing about that movie and the reason why I think people don't know Stanley as well as they think, is that all the parts of A.I. that critics thought were Stanley's were me, and all the things that people thought I had sentimentalized were Stanley's. The talking Teddy Bear was Stanley's; the whole last 20 minutes and the first 45 minutes were from Stanley's screenplay. It was Stanley's vision – I read everything that was written about A.I. and 80% of the stuff people said was wrong. I am the guy who did the dark side of it. Stanley said in 1994 that this movie was closer to my sensibilities than his own. When he tried to talk me into doing it then I told him that I had to back out because he was too passionate when he was telling me about it in his faxes. He was the DNA of this movie, and it was only after his death and his people approached me that I agreed to do it. I pushed this movie back two years. I was going to do it and not A.I."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

you know, this film sits much better with me every single time i see it.....

modage

Spielberg, in a very humorous purge, related something about A.I. that many have erroenously "blamed" him for. "If you take anything away from tonight, please let it be that it was Kubrick's original ending to A.I. to have all the schmaltzy, Spielbergian future scene with the boy having a day with his mother....for once, in public, let me set the record straight."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

i think i read that interview - if thats not from an interview then he gave an interview stating something very similar to that.

modage

Quote from: ewardi think i read that interview - if thats not from an interview then he gave an interview stating something very similar to that.
yeah that was from a chat in nyc where he previewed 10 min of catchme before it came out.  but i remember reading a more in-depth interview with him about A.I. after it was released and him going way into detail about how exactly the parts everyone thinks are his are stanleys and the parts people assume stanleys are his.  i searched everywhere a few minutes ago for this thing and couldnt find it.  but i did find those two notes which basically confirm the same thing.  kubrick had the beginning and end mapped out (the parts most people had a problem with), adn the whole dark middle was where spielberg had to basically look at the notes/drawings and construct it himself.

Alethia

further proof that spielberg is very often unfairly discredited.

Henry Hill

ive always thought A.I. had a kubrickian feel to it. i love this film.