Capitalism: A Love Story - Michael Moore's latest

Started by MacGuffin, May 21, 2009, 06:27:58 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

what I love about Moore is that he's so manipulative that most people can spot it and it actually becomes an anti-message for the left. hurray for us.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

New Feeling

This is a real good movie.  I cried on occasion.  :oops:

SiliasRuby

This is his magnum opus and while he uses his usual shtick, he gives it to both parties, democrat and republican. As long as they were money grubbing cheating douchebags who sole for the american people. I haven't loved all of Moore's films over the years and some of his tactics I think are a bit cheap but I really fell in love with this film. There are moments where I, like New feeling, felt really emotional.

Spoiler: I read up a quite a bit about FDR and what he proposed in his presidentcy about writing a second bill of rights was something that hit me like a ton of bricks. This is something that I would get behind, right now. Spoiler End.

This film demands to be seen, no matter what your political ideals and ideas are. It will spark a conversation and maybe a debilitating debate amonst your friends and as well it should. It will want to make young liberals stand up and start protesting like they did in the late 60's when I wish I was living right now.

Check it out.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

See, now that makes me want to see it. I probably won't, but it makes me want to.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Neil

Quote from: SiliasRuby on October 03, 2009, 03:22:56 AM
The gives it to both parties, democrat and republican. As long as they were money grubbing cheating douchebags who sole for the american people.

Stole From?
----------------
headed out in about 20 minutes to see the noon showing, but i'm probably going to buy a ticket for toy story 3D instead. Maybe i'll give my first real review.  Just so long as brad doesn't tell me sarcastically how "illuminating" it is and P doesn't tell me "congrats, you've made your worst conglomeration of words yet"   When will you guys [and lady?] realize I'M the voice of this generation god dammit!!!???

[a bumper sticker i saw recently] I'll keep my guns, money, and freedom. YOU keep the change. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Reinhold

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2009, 11:41:37 AM
[a bumper sticker i saw recently] I'll keep my guns, money, and freedom. YOU keep the change. 

luckily, they also sell "Don't Blame Me, I voted for Palin" stickers. http://www.patriotdepot.com/
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

New Feeling

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2009, 11:41:37 AM

headed out in about 20 minutes to see the noon showing, but i'm probably going to buy a ticket for toy story 3D instead.

What is the logic here?  Disney needs the money more than Michael Moore?

Neil

I think the best yet is "Nope" in change of "Hope" way to ruin the idea that we're fucked. by just saying "no" or turning your back.  How's that for patriotic. 

If the money were going to the folks' you cried for things would be different.

whenever i read he's become a philanthropist....actually. fuck this clown, my point is i gave him enough of my money for Roger and Me, Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11, and Sicko.  At least this way i know that future kids will get to watch sexist cartoons rather than spin.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Neil

Bought 2 dvd's, gave the first away when i was gung ho, i was 3 when it came out.

A village in Kenya is missing an idiot. 
(saw this one tonight and the 'o' in idiot is the obama 'o')

EDIT: To clarify for those who are built up with internet angst, I saw these stickers in real life, i'm not mocking some silly right wing web site.  I didn't see them on the silly link you posted, I was done with that place when i saw "GlennBecks Common Sense"  I AM MAKING FUN OF THESE BUMPER STICKERS. It's entirely another ball game when you notice the people YOU live next to are buying these, so it is different IN REAL LIFE, which is what i was speaking of Reinhold, please.

Reinhold

Quote from: Neil on October 03, 2009, 10:18:15 PM
Bought 2 dvd's, gave the first away when i was gung ho, i was 3 when it came out.

A village in Kenya is missing an idiot. 
(saw this one tonight and the 'o' in idiot is the obama 'o')

the first time you referenced these bumper stickers it didn't make sense, you apparently missed that i was mocking you when i brought up the palin one, and now you're just listing stupid shit you've seen on that web site.

somebody bring back the custom titles so that Neil can officially be the xixax village idiot.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

Wow. Why so abrasive all of a sudden? That's not like you at all, Reinhold.

Nobody needs to be called this places village idiot. That's not going to help this place grow.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Ravi

The ending is the best part IMO.  It shows ordinary people banding together to fight (and win) against major corporations to get what they deserved.  Really gives a sense of hope.  And the FDR thing was extraordinary.

The rest of the film, while it has some very emotional scenes, is kind of muddled, as if Moore's not quite sure where to place his anger.  A friend told me that on a Howard Stern interview, Moore addressed that he himself was making money off his films in a capitalist system, but that he dislikes how "capitalism" has become synonymous with "greed" and that he's not against working hard to earn wealth, but that he's against depriving others to earn wealth.  That should have been in the film.