Panasonic HVX200

Started by Reinhold, March 03, 2006, 02:01:05 AM

Reinhold

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/HVX200/

except for its size and lack of lens-changing ability, this thing looks too good to be true.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Redlum

This camera is it! DVCPro HD at 4:2:2! Plus the MPEG group of pictures is all I frames which is the way it MUST be for true progressive and filmic footage. Although the recording time suffers because of this I embrace the 20minute "mag" time because I hate the bad habbit of letting the camera roll and roll. I've seen so much raw footage where people have left the camera rolling just because because they can or doing an unneccessary amount of takes because they didnt rehearse the shot. I doubt that was part of the esign and as storage capacity increases that will disappear but for now at least I think its very cool.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Reinhold

i wonder why people aren't really shitting themselves en masse about this thing. it seems to have hit the market very quietly.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ghostboy

It's too expensive for consumers, but as far as the prosumer market goes, they're flying off the shelves. My friend works for a pro video retailer and they have a huge waiting list. I'm hoping to shoot with it in a month or two, on a short film.

Among all its other features, the idea of never having to log and capture footage makes me very, very excited.

Reinhold

the camera itself is very inexpensive, relatively speaking.

but the digital memory = highway robbery.  it's a small price to be able to record in uncompressed hd, but even with an absolute barebones setup, you need two 8gb mags so that you can shoot on one while dumping the footage from the other on to a hard drive on location. if you can't do that, then you're thowing potential image quality away by recording on mini dv.

Ghostboy

Yeah, there's no point in buying it if you're not going to use the p2 cards - might as well just stick to the DVX-100a. But I think they're going to drop in price, and there's also a Firestore coming out that'll hold 100 gigs (roughly 100 minutes).

Wave of the future.

md

Ive seen some footage posted from that camera over at dvxuser.com and the footage looks incredible.  It seems that its professionalism certainly takes weight over any of the hdv cameras, but its affordability right now is its main crux - my main crux with it.  Put a 35mm adapter like the P and S or the M2, and you have a very workable setup.  As of now there has been alot of complaint regarding the noise issues.  I personally can't tell too much of difference, but it has seemed to put alot of those video nerds' panties in a bunch.  But most importantly, getting a 35mm adapter, even for a camera like a dvx100 or an xl2 makes all the differance in the world.  A good script helps too though.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Reinhold

Quote from: md on March 05, 2006, 09:10:14 AM
Ive seen some footage posted from that camera over at dvxuser.com and the footage looks incredible.  It seems that its professionalism certainly takes weight over any of the hdv cameras, but its affordability right now is its main crux - my main crux with it.  Put a 35mm adapter like the P and S or the M2, and you have a very workable setup.  As of now there has been alot of complaint regarding the noise issues.  I personally can't tell too much of difference, but it has seemed to put alot of those video nerds' panties in a bunch.  But most importantly, getting a 35mm adapter, even for a camera like a dvx100 or an xl2 makes all the differance in the world.  A good script helps too though.

what are the noise issues?

also, what's the 35mm adapter you're talking about? i thought you had to have the ability to change lenses to do something like that. perhaps i'm merely exposing my ignorance, but please elaborate.

killafilm

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-mini35.php

So you can use 35mm Film lenses and get some of that sweet depth of field.

I believe the noise issues people are complaining about are due to low light levels.  Where instead of 'black' you get a weird videoish noise in the image.  Like in this photo(not HVX)

Reinhold

Quote from: killafilm on March 05, 2006, 11:03:57 PM
http://www.pstechnik.de/en/digitalfilm-mini35.php

So you can use 35mm Film lenses and get some of that sweet depth of field.

I believe the noise issues people are complaining about are due to low light levels.  Where instead of 'black' you get a weird videoish noise in the image.  Like in this photo(not HVX)

thanks. i know what noise is, but i hadn't heard anything about the hvx's problems with it.

md

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=48201  (hopefully that works)

I think overall its apparent in certain lighting conditions, and probably has to do with the cameras lux level.  I havent really seen anything that jumped out at me, so I'm not sure how significant the problem is.  There are about 10 35mm adapters including DIY ones that people are buying and make DV alot prettier in my opinion.  It has alot of downsides as well and is also somewhat expensive. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

ono

So I've been doing some thinking the past few days about the feasibility of switching from the DVX-100a to this new one.  I love the HD capabilities and all the other goodies that come with this thing.  Been doing research, and I have a few questions.  One big one, really:

So, the most footage you'll be able to store is with that Firestore 100 GB HD, right?  100 minutes?  So the camera's $6k, the Firestore is $1,600 (for the 80 GB model, though I hope that'll come down).  Will Final Cut Pro need replacing?  Mine is HD (4.5), so I'm fairly sure I'm still fine.  I'm pretty sure DVD Studio Pro will need an upgrade to version 4, though.

I should note that as I was reading, there was talk about switching out hard drives to save money.  Say, buying the Firestore 40 GB and putting in an 80 GB HD.  Sounds promising though I wasn't able to find any conclusions as to whether it was totally reliable.

A lot of this is me thinking aloud, but some clarification would be welcome anyway.

I use an external hard drive for capturing footage right now and it works great.  Just trying to think in advance for just how much extra storage I'll need, considering HD takes up so much more space than simple DV.

I'm also assuming that these P2 cards can plug right in to a notebook slot.

Just trying to get a grasp on how this will all work.  I'm salivating at the possibilities.  Independent films can now be made with the visual quality of professional television shows and movies.

killafilm

It might not be the most ideal set-up, but, I think having a laptop/external HD/FCP HD/DVD SP 3 should be more than enough to get you by.  I think I remember reading that you could dump footage off the P2 card directly onto a laptop, but i'm not positive.  In the worst case you can always use firewire.  Wait, check this out  http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=52345

I don't see why you'd need to upgrade Studio Pro.  FCP HD def. supports everything you'd need.

Would you ever really need to capture footage for 10+ minutes continuously?

I'd love to make the switch myself.  But as of now I hardly use my DVX and I don't have any thing in the works that would really warrent the upgrade.  Once I go completely crazy and decide to max out credit cards and try to Really put something together this will be mine, o' yes.

jasper_window

I shot a short film with this camera a few weeks ago and it's awesome.  We have 2 8gig P2 cards which we offloaded to an external firewire drive hooked up thru a laptop.  You can edit off of the P2 Card thru the slot on your laptop or you can load the files onto a hard drive and cut on avid or final cut ( I use avid).  As far as noise problems, I haven't noticed anything and  just like with any other camera, if you light properly you'll be thrilled with the outcome.  This is a million times better than HDV.

If you shoot in the Native mode (24PN as opposed to 24P), you get approx 20 minutes per 8 gig card instead of 8 minutes.  I didn't work extensively with DVD Studio Pro, but I did export a QT which we brought into Studio pro and burned a DVD with no problems.   

I've talked to 2 reps for panasonic and they both said the cards are going to come down in price and within the next 3-4 months a 16gig card will be available.

Any-who, I'm really excited by the image quality, the workflow, and as far as no digitizing goes, it's like not having to wash the dishes after dinner-- I love it. 

killafilm

Quote from: jasper_window on April 24, 2006, 03:08:18 PM

... and as far as no digitizing goes, it's like not having to wash the dishes after dinner-- I love it. 

hilarious.