homage/rip-off.

Started by NEON MERCURY, May 01, 2004, 10:36:35 PM

NEON MERCURY

um, what s the differnce between to two??.i understand that rip-off has a more negative connotation while homage is "paying respects" to something and therefore has a more postitve connotation......for instance:

-kill bill is paying homage to spaghetti westerns and old school kung fu ..right??.....but why wouldn't you say he ripped off the style of the two??

-the opening scene in boogie nights is ripped off from the club scene in goodfellas right??........or would you say he's paying homage to that scene..

-cabin fever...is it ripping off evil dead..or homaging ..it??....

i'm just using those as examples......... what s the difference ..thats all.......

ono

Quote from: NEON MERCURYum, what s the differnce between to two??.i understand that rip-off has a more negative connotation while homage is "paying respects" to something and therefore has a more postitve connotation......
You nailed it.  It all depends on the quality of the director, and the context of the homage.  It's not usually a subjective thing, though.  "Rip-off" is used pejoratively, though, while homage is not.  Guy Ritchie rips off Tarantino, who's ripped off I mean paid homage to directors ten times better.  Tarantino has the ability to create unique moments, but recently he's been caught up in emulating others.

The difference between Guy Ritchie and all the other wannabes is Tarantino (and Anderson) know their film history.  In other words, you have to know the rules in order to break them (much like Godard and the French New Wave), and Ritchie hasn't proved he knows the rules.

molly

I think that life sometimes imitates movies - people are imitating movie heroes and villains.

rustinglass

Quote from: mollyI think that life sometimes imitates movies - people are imitating movie heroes and villains.

(licks some of his white russian off his moustache)- what the fuck a'you talking about?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

molly

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: mollyI think that life sometimes imitates movies - people are imitating movie heroes and villains.

(licks some of his white russian off his moustache)- what the fuck a'you talking about?

There are popular movies like Pulp Fiction, The Godfather, Die Hard, etc. that many people saw. Well, some people are imitating those characters from movies in real life. When a film, or TV-show becomes popular, soon you can spot people trying to look like the actors in that show, and talking like the character. Never saw a person saying something that sounds misplaced, but it sounds familiar, like a punchline from some film, or Friends? But it's not a quote, it's like that person spotted a cool line, then memorized it like something original and effective to say before her/his friends and look smart, original, cool,...Never noticed this?

rustinglass

yes!It was a joke. I was imitating The Dude from Big Lebowski, I totally agree with you.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURYum, what s the differnce between to two??.
cinephile, macguffin and i had some of this discussion in the kurosawa thread here...

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=72&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

i think ono (above) has stated the popular opinion.  if someone credible/artistic is doing it its an 'homage' and if someone who isnt does the same thing its a 'rip off'.  

so, basically, there is no difference.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Context can be originality.

molly

i don't think it's a ripp off if your point is that the history repeats. If you're making a hommage to a film made 10-20 or even more years ago, then it's more a tribute to the artist but also it states that themes made so many years ago are very up to date. Same thing, different package. Remakes are interesting because of that - it's completely wrong to make a remake of an old movie and set the story in the time when the original was made.