Which scene is ripped off most often???

Started by kassius, February 22, 2004, 11:29:18 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: BonBon85The Jennifer Connelly on a dock shot.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/answ-man/sho-sunday-ebert08.html

(2nd question from the top)
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Chest Rockwell

Ah man, can't believe I didn't think of Taxi Driver. I couldn't stand watching de Niro ripping off himself in Rocky and Bulwinkle.

grand theft sparrow

I don't think anyone's mentioned the "faithful boyfriend/husband gets caught in seemingly compromising position with gorgeous hussy just in time for the suspicious girlfriend/wife to see" scene.

pete

wait, are we talking about cinematic cliches or are we talking about a specific moment in a specific film that we can cite and reference.  'cause I whoop ass at the former, not very good at the latter.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

tpfkabi

i was thinking about starting a thread about all of the times the Graduate has been copied, but this seems like a good place:
the pool scene  - Rushmore
after daughter finds out, mother in corner of stairs - The Royal tenenabums
party scene - igby goes down
opening credits - jackie brown
the wedding sequence mentioned before - in one of the Wayne's Worlds

there's just five that i can think of off the top of my head
======================
2001's apes and music are parodied a lot
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

yeah, the better question is Which Movie is Referenced the Most?

2001, the graduate, the godfather, taxi driver, the shining, etc....

a technique or a tricky shot can't be referenced, otherwise hithcock would rule and everyone would be orson welles.
under the paving stones.