76th Annual Academy Awards News!!

Started by The Silver Bullet, September 25, 2003, 08:26:34 AM

Jeremy Blackman

21 Grams and City of God need to replace Master and Commander & Mystic River for Best Picture. It wouldn't be difficult... you wouldn't even lose LOTR and Seabiscuit. The only best picture nomination that I really liked is Lost in Translation.

Unsurprisingly, 28 Days Later was completely ignored.

The girls from In America... not there? This is a Haley Joel Osment-size mistake.

The most tragic thing this year: Where's 21 Grams in the editing category?  :yabbse-angry:  Seriously!

That said, there are some very good things:

Quote from: MacGuffinACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER
Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Djimon Hounsou - IN AMERICA

DIRECTING
CITY OF GOD

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
CITY OF GOD

CINEMATOGRAPHY
CITY OF GOD

rustinglass

no nomination for kill bill! not even for cinematography! nor for visual effects (not that they were sophisticated or anything but they look as good as all the other nominees)!

Why the hell wasn't eddie vedder nominated for best song?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

Hey, there are some things I'd like to have seen nominated...but there were so many things that surprised me and so many great choices (minus Diane Keaton) that I can't argue. I'm one of the few that is glad that Master & Commander is doing so well. And I love that Holly Hunter and Johnny Depp got nominated.

Alethia

what the fuck is seabiscuit doing being nominated at all for anything??

Gloria

I'm upset that Big Fish wasn't nominated for more awards.  :(

Pozer

Quote from: GhostboyHey, there are some things I'd like to have seen nominated...but there were so many things that surprised me and so many great choices (minus Diane Keaton) that I can't argue. I'm one of the few that is glad that Master & Commander is doing so well. And I love that Holly Hunter and Johnny Depp got nominated.

yeah, exactly. Such a nice list. Really can't complain this year.
I couldn't believe when I heard Johnny Depp's name. And was so worried about 21 Grams (especially Watts) being ignored.
I'm excited this year

©brad

well i'm actually surprised/pleased w/ this year's nominations, save sea biscuit and master and commander, as p and others have duly noted.

and i agree w/ u jb, i woulda scrapped mystic river, master and commander, and seabiscuit for 21 grams, in america, and city of god for best picture.  

i'm really flabbergasted that matrix reloaded/revolutions were completely ignored in the effects/editing categories. wtf? did joel silver forget to promote them for the awards?

MacGuffin

Quote from: ewardwhat the fuck is seabiscuit doing being nominated at all for anything??

Because it's a great film. I really don't understand everyone bashing that film. It deserves everything it was nominated for and more that it wasn't. What the fuck is everyone's problem with that film?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

happy enough.

I thought for sure Kill Bill would be nominated and win for sound.
Peter Dinklage was snubbed for The Station Agent.
Very happy about American Splendor's writing nom, but Mystic River baffles me, I thought the script was the downfall of that film.

EDIT:
No Paul Giamatti or Hope Davis for American Splendor?
EDIT COMPLETE:

I know sone dislike the Diane Keaton nom but I actually dig it.  I really think she deserves it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ProgWRX

Im guessing Kill Bill will be honored next year after Vol 2 is released?  :?:

In any case, I have not seen Pieces of April or House of Sand and Fog, but I have trouble believing those actresses are more deserving of the nod than Scarlett  :evil:

Pleasantly surprised that Depp got nominated for Lead actor, UNpleasantly surprised about Diane Keaton. (she was good in the movie, but its just more of the same from her IMO)
-Carlos

SHAFTR

is it safe to assume the Best Picture category is a 2 film race with RotK having a 90% possibility and LiT having about a 9% chance.
Unfortunately.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

modage

KILL BILL= 0 NOM'S
CITY OF GOD=4 NOM'S
where was harvey's campaigning for quentin there?  0 is such an insult to quentin.  like, if harvey isnt there to create nominations, what good is he?  atleast some technical awards.

no acting mentions for LOTR: ROTK even though its up for 11, (the most of any movie).  

i'm shocked and pleased that ONLY ONE of the best picture nominees was released in december.  whereas last year, ALL FUCKING FIVE were from december.  it shows that yeah there actually is a whole year for movies, not a month.  cause that really bugs the shit out of me.  still the earliest movie, seabiscuit, was released at the end of july.  i'm waiting for the year where the best picture comes out in the first quarter of the year.

i am pretty pleasantly surprised overall though.  this is the 'coolest' batch of nominees in a long time, probably ever.  usually the movies i really really like dont get any recognition, and this year is littered with my favorites.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ProgWRX

Quote from: SHAFTRis it safe to assume the Best Picture category is a 2 film race with RotK having a 90% possibility and LiT having about a 9% chance.
Unfortunately.

what about Mystic River though? it scares me  :oops:  (im rooting for LOTR, then Lost In Translation)
-Carlos

modage

also, after reading the book i'm especially happy about this...

MIRAMAX DOES NOT HAVE A BEST PICTURE NOMINEE!  

this is the first time in how many years?  i swear the book said in the past 11 years they've had 10 nominations for best picture or something like that.  i'll be he is so pissed that cold mountain isnt up there for picture or director.  hahah, fuck harvey weinstein.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Redlum

Maybe Volume 2 will blow Volume 1 out of the water.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas