Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

Gamblour.

I think "accessibly" should be the most painful. It's like he kicks you in the crotch, kicks you while your down, then, just for spite, spits in your wounds.
WWPTAD?

The Perineum Falcon

Just had a thought. There is no clear outline of how to do it because it just came to me. Maybe it's dumb but anyway.

What if we start an email in disfavor of the film getting made, we all sign it and make everyone else we know sign it and the people they know and so on and when the list gets huge we send it to the men themselves (producers, revivalists - Michel Shane and Anthony Romano). And they can decide what to do with it, but it might come in handy while they're not getting the finance.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I saw we just place a curse on them.

Anyone know a medicine man or shaman?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

MacGuffin

Fellini's erotic drawings a crowdpuller in Austria

KREMS, Austria (AFP) - Erotic drawings by Italian film director Federico Fellini showing his unusual taste in women are proving popular with art lovers in Austria, where an exhibition opened this month.

A gallery in Krems, north Austria, has seen great interest in its "Erotomachia" exhibition, which assembles 29 erotic drawings sketched by Fellini in his twilight years 1991-1992, a spokeswoman for the Karikaturmuseam, Katrin Draxl, told AFP.

The drawings feature his last mistress -- Gianna -- with whom Fellini spent several years before his death in 1993 at the age of 73.

Fellini, who directed the Oscar-winning classic "La Dolce Vita", as well as "Amarcord" and "La Strada", was a keen artist and regularly drew the scenes to his films.

The drawings of Gianna show a sizeable woman, strong and sensual, contrasted with a small man, almost faceless, who serves as her toy.

The exhibition runs until January 29.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffinFinal 'Journey'
Lost Fellini project will finally be filmed -- The ''8 1/2'' director's last unfinished project, ''Journey to Tulum,'' is being revived Source: Entertainment Weekly

Fellini's never-filmed project Journey to Tulum is being revived by producers Michel Shane and Anthony Romano (I, Robot), who stumbled upon it during a visit to Italy.

Shane is hoping to attract backing for the movie, which will be in English, from an indie company; Marco Bartoloccioni — who helped rediscover the outline a few years ago — is directing. ''It'll be completely far-out, but it won't be an art-house ride,'' Shane says. ''I think we'll do it as an homage to Fellini in the Fellini style, but accessibly.''

''No one's told me not to make the movie.''

Someone put a bullet through this man's brain, and fast.

This eerily reminds me of some of the pitches in The Player...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

I say, "make the movie." It's just a forgotten Fellini project. It's not really to say he put the time and energy in most of his films the way a Stanley Kubrick did. Between Barry Lyndon and The Shining, Fellini made 5 films. I wish he would have dropped many films he did to concentrate on fewer. A lot fewer.

SoNowThen

Fellini made three in between those two. And how do you know how much effort he put into unrealized projects? He nearly killed himself trying to make the Voyage of M_ (can't exactly remember the title)...

Why waste loads of money and resources on what sounds like a retarded reason for making a project AND smear the name of a legend at the same time? Punishable by death is what it should be.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenFellini made three in between those two. And how do you know how much effort he put into unrealized projects? He nearly killed himself trying to make the Voyage of M_ (can't exactly remember the title)...

I don't have it with me, but I remember reading a Kubrick book and the exact example being 5. (Fellini was being interviewed and was astonished how much Kubrick invested in one film. Fellini something along the lines he had enough difficulty getting financing for each film) I also really won't argue with you though.

Quote from: SoNowThenWhy waste loads of money and resources on what sounds like a retarded reason for making a project AND smear the name of a legend at the same time? Punishable by death is what it should be.

Thing is, I'm not sure if its really smearing the name of a legend. This isn't Fellini's name being used as director still, the way Robert Ludlum is continually is credited as 'author' of books that are coming out when he's dead. Its just a project Fellini worked on, the way Schindler's List trickled from Kubrick to Scorsese and then finally to Speilberg. I doubt that is much of any offense.

cowboykurtis

i think it's very clear that this producer's desire to make this film is for the built in press surrounding such an endeavour. rather than an attempt to continue fellini's visual and theoretical lineage. In essence they're saying " we're trying to make a fellini film, with fellini's sensibilities, but just more accessbile. Making it more "accessible", in essence would be deviating from the very archetype that made it a fellini film in the first place. It's more or less saying, fellini was known for being bizarre - we're going to make a "fellini film", just not as bizarre - Then its not really a fellini film, is it? So why make it at all? $$$$$$$$, thats why.
...your excuses are your own...

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: cowboykurtisi think it's very clear that this producer's desire to make this film is for the built in press surrounding such an endeavour. rather than an attempt to continue fellini's visual and theoretical lineage. In essence they're saying " we're trying to make a fellini film, with fellini's sensibilities, but just more accessbile. Making it more "accessible", in essence would be deviating from the very archetype that made it a fellini film in the first place. It's more or less saying, fellini was known for being bizarre - we're going to make a "fellini film", just not as bizarre - Then its not really a fellini film, is it? So why make it at all? $$$$$$$$, thats why.

Well, yea, but who gives a shit. It will be just another movie. And maybe, at best, it may make some wide-eyed kid interested in really digging into Fellini. There are many more terrible crimes out there in the film world.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Well, yea, but who gives a shit. It will be just another movie. And maybe, at best, it may make some wide-eyed kid interested in really digging into Fellini. There are many more terrible crimes out there in the film world.

I for one give a shit - and it seems SO NOW THEN does as well.

Am I going to lose sleep over it? No. But, at the end of they day, it seems that one who is not alive to protect their namesake, should at least have a governing force preventing opportunists from disgracing their legacy.

Fellini didn't make this film for one reason or another - Either he explored it and decided that the idea was not worth continuing -- Or he wasnt able to get it made, so gave up the fight.

It's like sperm - The strong ones turn into children, the weak one's don't.

In this situation, we're talking about a scientist trying to take weak sperm and fertilize an egg - and what do you get? a weak child, or even worse a retarded child.

So, now you have some wide-eyed kid watching a retarded kid and assuming everything created by fellini was just that - retarded. So this wide-eyed kid who could have naturally discovered the strong, brilliant films of Fellini, just like every other kid,  has now been cheated by some old fuck trying to make a dollar.

and that is a crime. as bad as they get in the film world.

Gamblour.

so wait, if a really great film was about retarded people, does it make it a retarded kid or what?

and i'm with you cowboy, these people are digging up fellini and necrophilizing his repertoire.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: cowboykurtisand that is a crime. as bad as they get in the film world.

Oh, as bad as von Stroheim's full length version of Greed likely lost forever. All we are left of that version is actually a fraction of the original length. Also, there was the fact Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev was cut drastically and unreleased in its entire version for many years. Sam Fuller's The Big Red One will also never get its entire release. Last year's 'Reconstruction' only made up for some of went missing. Though Fuller in his auto-biography says the entire version is available in some vault, thats really not true.

Then what about all the worthy foreign films that are not available in the United States? Forget those not on DVD and maybe just available only on cheap but expensive VHS tapes. What about Syberberg's Hitler: A film from Germany, merely available online only? So many worthy filmmakers really have no breath of recognition in this country. So c'mon, this abandoned/unrealized work by Fellini, really is not even close to the other crimes in the film world. Fellini hardly realized many of the films he finished in his later years anyways.

cowboykurtis

i think it's up there with what you mentioned. Not as severe, but up there.

And I don't think you can make comparissions in order validate what this man is trying to do.  The mechanics behind it are very different. We're not talking about lost film elements, or lack of availability. we're talking about a man trying to profit on a dead man's legacy. that's pretty fucking scummy in my book.

Very similar to what the author of EYES WIDE OPEN did (Rafael, I believe?)

On a side note - A few years ago I saw a print of the 4 hour cut of GREED - unbelievably impressive. rivals INTOLERANCE. However, I think Greed is more sophisticated in execution.

would love to get my hands on a copy of it.

Gold Trumpet

This is getting insane. It's not like this film was made by Fellini, lost and then instead of found again, was remade by a more topical filmmaker at a larger compromise to take its place. Fellini's dead. He had his time to make this film. Every filmmaker who is able to have a durable and varied career leaves behind projects that never were done. (whatever the reason may be) Why is there no rucus for their lost works being re-done? Its because some people understand filmmakers dabble with many projects and just can't get to all of them. And when the project is able to be bought out, that means the filmmaker's family thinks it was worth selling or the filmmaker committed the story to a studio knowing full well if he didn't touch it, it could be sold.