Federico Fellini

Started by cine, April 05, 2003, 01:58:36 PM

SoNowThen

I really really really enjoyed that movie. More so than White Sheik, and easily just as much as Cabiria. The goofy characters in the troop, man, Fellini does that so well.

What's up next for your FF week, mod?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i've previously seen 8 1/2, la dolce vita, nights of cabiria, and la strada.  and so far i've liked to loved everything.  this week i'm watching variety lights, the white sheik, the swindle, juliet of the spirits, and amarcord.  exciting stuff.  :-D
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Ah, Amarcord *swoon* !!

Which version of Il Bidone do you have? I've got the chopped American version dvd. It's supposed to be about 20 minutes longer, and you can sure feel it missing as you get towards the end. Too bad really, cos it must've been a great movie.

Anybody have any word whether or not they'll ever release it in its proper version? I think I might have heard whispers on the CC message board...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

whichever one NETFLIX has.  i think its the only region 1 version of it, isnt it?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Chest Rockwell

I just saw 8 1/2 for the first time Monday. I loved it.

The Perineum Falcon

For all those who get IFC, they'll be airing Amarcord on the following dates:
Saturday, Mar 6 2004 5:15 PM
Sunday, Mar 7 2004 8:00 AM
Sunday, Mar 7 2004 2:00 PM
Tuesday, Mar 16 2004 11:45 AM
Tuesday, Mar 16 2004 6:45 PM
Wednesday, Mar 17 2004 9:15 AM

I have yet to see this, so I'm very excited (especially since it'll leave me $40 richer).
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

The Silver Bullet

RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

modage

goddamn i was not prepared for that!  just finished White Sheik which was okay.  it was very light and in a few places even wacky, which was fine but i wish if they were going to push the comicness of the situations that they had gone a bit further with it.  it didnt seem quite funny enough to be completely engaging.  the highlight of the film was Giuletta Masina's cameo AS freakin' Cabiria!  i had no idea, so when she popped up (and in that character no less) it was a nice surprise for the film.  The Swindle however, for some reason, i was under the impression it was a lighter film as well about a heist or con men or something of that nature.  i had no idea it was as terribly sad as it was.  god, that was depressing.  i read afterwards that it was the middle chapter in fellini's trilogy of lonliness with la strada and nights of cabiria both of which were sad as hell.  it did seem like there may have been some missing around the end.  the way the painter character suddenly is gone seemed too abrupt.  but the final scenes/shot were really sad.

modage

okay i just watched Amarcord and have come to the conclusion that Fellini is like the Rolling Stones.  he had a really great period for a couple years where he made his best stuff, and the further away you get from that period (either eariler or later) it gets less good.  Juliet of the Spirits was okay/good, interesting.  there were some serious Lynchian elements going on during the psyhic sequence, (anyone know if he's mentioned that movie as an influence?), and Amarcord had a collection of great scenes/dialogue, incl. asking the local whore if she dips cocks in her morning coffee. hahha, but it really just didnt hit the spot for me personally.  so ranking my Intro to Fellini, my favorites are like this...

1. La Dolce Vita
2. 8 1/2
3. Nights of Cabiria
4. La Strada
5. Il Bidone/The Swindle
6. Variety Lights
7. The White Sheik
8. Juliet of the Spirits
9. Amarcord

very interested in seeing I Vitelloni, (did i read criterion is putting that out this year, or am i making that up?)  and overall I really really like Fellini.

classical gas

Quote from: themodernage02
very interested in seeing I Vitelloni, (did i read criterion is putting that out this year...

God, I hope so...

And your list is pretty much identical to how I would rank his films, except that Amarcord would be #5.  I didn't like it as much as most, but it was still great.

Alethia

make sure you see roma as well

SoNowThen

Vitelloni is getting re-released by Kino this year, so expect a dvd from someone.

Trust me, I didn't love Amarcord the first time I saw it either. By the third viewing, it will move into your top 3, easily.

I like the Fellini/Stones comparison, btw.

Seraphim

Quote from: SoNowThenTrust me, I didn't love Amarcord the first time I saw it either. By the third viewing, it will move into your top 3, easily.
I already fell in love with it the first time I saw it, but yeah- you're right- this film has to be seen at least three times to really astonish you.

The colors, the humour, the performances... best Fellini, together with- of course!- Otto e Mezzo.
Seraphim's magic words:
Dutch
Dead Can Dance/ Cocteau Twins
Literature
European/ Art Cinema:
Tarkovsky, Bresson, Fellini, Angelopoulos

SHAFTR

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,72547,00.html

Starting April 23rd on TCM.
The Magic of Fellini
La Dolce Vita
La Strada