WONG KAR-WAI

Started by Rudie Obias, March 01, 2003, 11:37:52 PM

Lottery

Was suddenly reminded of this scene earlier today. I remember the first time I watched it, it was very early in the morning and I was exhausted and this part seemed like the most oddly futuristic thing ever.

Still seems that way. Particularly 1:18.

Lottery

This I can get behind.

Along with the promise of that feature, Hong Kong cinema has something else to celebrate today: word of a new Wong Kar-wai picture. After The Ferryman became merely a producing and, according to IMDb, writing endeavor, it's encouraging when Shanghai Film Group Corp. announce that the writer-director has begun some stage of work on Blossoms, which is an adaptation of Jin Yucheng's Shanghai-centered short-story collection. Here's how CRI English sum it up:

Depicting chores and trifles of urban life, such as grocery shopping and hosting a dinner party, Blossoms provides a vivid image of the daily life of ordinary Shanghai people. Focusing on a hundred characters, and several main ones, the whole story is carried out over two time-lines: from the 1960s to the mid-1970s, the end of the Cultural Revolution; and from the 1980s to the start of the 21st century. As the two time periods alternate, the book unveils the two faces of the city: the Shanghai of old and the modernized metropolis it is today

http://thefilmstage.com/trailer/trailer-for-johnnie-tos-design-for-living-arrives-alongside-word-of-wong-kar-wais-next-film/

jenkins

pete

he's the guy in sunglasses posing on the beach
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Lottery

The smart jock who became a real estate mogul. Despite his wealth and success, he still visits small and lonely Hong Kong jazz clubs every week.

jenkins

while reading this i noticed
QuoteIn September last year, Wong committed to direct his first TV series, "Tong Wars," for Amazon.
so i googled, read this
QuoteWong's Tong Wars, a crime drama series about Chinese gangsters set in the United States of the late 19th century.

"The thing that attracted me to this project was the first opportunity to tell the story of the first Chinese-American experience in the most authentic and proper way, because I think there aren't many films about this experience," Wong said at a film festival in France in October, noting the story would span decades, until the 1970s.

Few details about the show's story line have been revealed except for the fact that it will explore the clashes between Chinese immigrants and organized-crime families in San Francisco's Chinatown.
Quote10-part original series
QuoteBehold, here are the four main protagonists of Wong's Chinese-American gangster saga.

Vicky Sun: Vicky, a woman in her 70s who runs a global criminal network. She began her life in the US as a slave girl growing up in a brothel, and rose to become the richest woman in 1970s San Francisco. "Imperious, volatile, cunning, stylish, educated, with a cutting sense of humor, altogether fabulous," the casting call says of Vicky.

Tom Sun: Tom is the adoptive gangster father of Vicky. A revolutionary fugitive from southern China, Tom flees to the US and becomes a killer for hire during the street wars between Chinese gangs. He has two wives living with him in the brothel, and eventually falls in love with a wealthy, married white woman. It looks like Tong Wars might feature a spot of martial arts—at any rate, it's listed as a plus point for the actor trying out for this role.

Lo Mo: Mo appears to be one of Tom's wives, and runs the brothel. A shrewd and dominant figure, she directs and molds Tom with her knowledge of her society and its players. She has developed a fondness for opium to deaden her rage.

Johnny Young: An orphaned teenager, Young is raised on the streets by his fellow members of a Chinese gang that seems slated to go to war with Vicky's criminal empire. "Violence, after all, is how Vicky understands love. Johnny reminds her of Tom and herself."

Paul Attanasio, who received Oscar nominations for the screenplays for Quiz Show (1994) and Donnie Brasco (1997), is writer and executive producer for the series.
QuoteThe notice says candidates for the roles must be available from July 2018 to January 2019. There is no set time for the release of the show.

Ravi

Wong Kar-wai Says Next Film 'Blossoms' Will Have Thematic Connections to 'In the Mood for Love' and '2046'
Written by Jordan Raup on March 19, 2019

In the six years since his last film, The Grandmaster, there have been a number of projects Wong Kar-wai's been attached to. There was The Ferryman, which he ended up just producing, as well as his ambitious Amazon series Tong Wars, which is still in development, and a Gucci biopic for Annapurna that never came together, along with another drama series. Also among those in development was the drama Blossoms, which is now finally confirmed as his next film, according to the director himself.

While being awarded by the Hong Kong Film Writers Association this week, the director confirmed that the film could begin production as early as the end of this year, Ming Pao reports (via Coconuts). Based on Jin Yucheng's 2013 novel, the film follows three Shanghai residents from the early '60s, at the end of China's Cultural Revolution and through the '90s, with a selection of scenes being shot in San Francisco.

Speaking at the ceremony, Wong said after working on the screenplay for the last four years, he's nearly done. For the first time, he also said, "Blossoms would be the third part of In The Mood for Love and 2046." It's intriguing to hear this, considering the latter two films already form his informal Love trilogy with Days of Being Wild, but perhaps he'll expand on this as we get closer to production. He also added, "No actors have been cast yet, and they need to be able to speak Shanghainese," referencing the specific dialect also heard in his masterpiece In the Mood for Love.

"Shanghai is my hometown and the time that the book describes is the time of my absence from Hong Kong because I went to Hong Kong when I was 19, in '63," the director said a few years back. "I hadn't been back to Shanghai until the early nineties. This is my opportunity for me to fill in all the things that I have missed."

Here's a fuller synopsis of Blossoms:

Depicting chores and trifles of urban life, such as grocery shopping and hosting a dinner party, Blossoms provides a vivid image of the daily life of ordinary Shanghai people. Focusing on a hundred characters, and several main ones, the whole story is carried out over two time-lines: from the 1960s to the mid-1970s, the end of the Cultural Revolution; and from the 1980s to the start of the 21st century. As the two time periods alternate, the book unveils the two faces of the city: the Shanghai of old and the modernized metropolis it is today.

WorldForgot

Release includes:
THE HAND
IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE
HAPPY TOGETHER
FALLEN ANGELS
CHUNGKING EXPRESS
DAYS OF BEING WILD
AS TEARS GO BY (Debut).

blu ray punto com

Criterion site

Booklet sheet on the Restoration + Aspect Ratio changes attached to this post ~

QuoteSEVEN-BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES
New 4K digital restorations of Chungking Express, Fallen Angels, Happy Together, In the Mood for Love, and 2046, approved by director Wong Kar Wai, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks
New 4K digital restorations of As Tears Go By and Days of Being Wild, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
New program in which Wong answers questions submitted by authors André Aciman and Jonathan Lethem; filmmakers Sofia Coppola, Rian Johnson, Lisa Joy, and Chloé Zhao; cinematographers Philippe Le Sourd and Bradford Young; and filmmakers and founders/creative directors of Rodarte Kate and Laura Mulleavy
Alternate version of Days of Being Wild, on home video for the first time
Extended version of The Hand, a 2004 short film by Wong, available in the U.S. for the first time
Hua yang de nian hua, a 2000 short film by Wong
Interview and “cinema lesson” with Wong from 2001
Several programs featuring interviews with Wong; actors Maggie Cheung Man Yuk, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Chang Chen, Faye Wong, and Ziyi Zhang; and others
Program from 2012 on In the Mood for Love’s soundtrack
Deleted scenes, alternate endings, behind-the-scenes footage, a promo reel, music videos, and trailers
PLUS: Deluxe packaging, including a perfect-bound, French-fold book featuring lavish photography, an essay by critic John Powers, a director’s note, and six collectible art prints

New cover by Nessim Higson

jenkins

oh wow that's tragic about the Happy Together negative. yeah WKW made alterations to these movies that are stirring all kinds of conversations. it's sort of distracting and I do want to go in with open eyes, open heart

wilder

Comparisons between the controversial new transfers and the old:

Quote from: Christopher Doyle"I think that we should not be so sensitive with our works. You have to let go, let them go. No need to masturbate over creations," said Doyle. "I was not firmly involved in the restorations, although I gave my opinion several times and I was observing how the process was carried out. I think the 'Fallen Angels' case is a perfect example of an attitude towards work: they tried switching to an anamorphic format and oh, how they marveled. You always have to see with new eyes, the social and conceptual changes have been many. One thing that happened in almost all of those movies, something that people often call our 'style,' is that it usually came out of a mistake. [Laughs]"

He added, "What happened was that we shot a certain scene with two actors who had only been hired for one day and something went wrong with the emulsion. I don't remember the reason, maybe one of the attendees accidentally opened the can. The truth is that the image had been left with low exposure and a lot of grain. What to do about that? We tried various things and eventually transferred the scenes to high-exposure black and white film. And that worked. But we couldn't have a single black-and-white scene, so we decided that every time something went wrong in the relationship between the leads, that situation would be seen in black and white. That became a part of the style, but it wasn't originally that way. It was a kind of compromise."

jenkins

I think, you know, Doyle couldn't stop it anyway. so when he talks about letting go he's maybe gone through that for himself. and it's good advice. the only thing that fucks with me here is I already own all these movies on blu-ray. this happened with Pierrot le Fou too

it's like, geez I do like the movie, that's why I bought it in this exact same format. I'd rewatch all the WKWs another way of course I would, I suspect I somehow will eventually

WorldForgot

from r/criterion

QuoteExcerpt from this blu-ray.com review on Police Story (and Police Story 2):

The 4K remaster that L'Immagine Ritrovata produced for Police Story is yet another one in a long list of questionable 'restorations' that basically replaces the film's native identity with a digital one. Sadly, this is actually a very frustrating trend with a wide range of older color films that are being 'restored' at L'Immagine Ritrovata, so I don't quite understand why changes are not made to end it. Anyhow, considering the alternative, it is very obvious that currently this is without a doubt the best overall presentation of the film on the marketplace, but it is not what its fans deserved.

A Touch of Zen Blu-ray.com review that notes similar issues with L'Immagine Ritrovata restoration.

Dragon Inn Blu-ray.com review that notes similar issues with L'Immagine Ritrovata restoration.

Twitter thread I found showing the side-by-side for the upcoming In The Mood For Love release.

jenkins

knowing about L'Immagine Ritrovata is definitely the kind of nerd stuff I need in my life

a certain problem that arises when talking about In the Mood for Love Chungking Express is they were flawless. King Hu too, and Jackie Chan another way I suppose. but anyway the changes are noticeable in like in a spiritual sense. WKW was all-in on this and the loss of certain Happy Together materials was a tragedy. but As Tears Go By and Days of Being Wild are better now, is my guess, and Doyle put support into the widening of the Fallen Angels perspective

I remember when The Red Shoes was restored my friend was pissed at the blacks. I think restoration is tricky

WorldForgot

And for anybody that's experienced actual eastman fade on an old print, you know that a full-pink tint tends to come with time. Still, it seemz odd that it's a common trait of L'Immagine Ritrovata work to just go green, lol.