tarsem singh

Started by cowboykurtis, November 03, 2003, 06:43:24 PM

cowboykurtis

what the hell is he up to? i think the cell is one of the most visually impressivec films to date.
...your excuses are your own...

cine

Yeah, I've been wondering this too. I completely agree on The Cell. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. The guy HAS to make another movie. He's such a gifted director of that genre.

ElPandaRoyal

I enjoyed The Cell, and yeah, the main reason for it was really the directing, because the script, well, it felt a little bit thin. The could have explored it better. And it felt too much like Silence of The Lambs at times. I dunno, I'd like to see it again.
Si

Gold Trumpet

I'm with RT. The visuals were amazing but the movie has come down because the writing doesn't really hold up at all. I loved the movie when it came out but I've grown a lot in that time period. I heard something about Tarsem directing a certain horror-sci fi-action film a few years back, or rather being in negotiations to do so but it all falling flat. And yes, he's due for another film soon hopefully.

MacGuffin

Tarsem was attached to this project, but:

Warner Brothers and Tarsem Singh sue each other over Constantine movie

The big-screen version of DC/Vertigo's Constantine (based on the comic Hellblazer) was charging towards production when the director bailed out on the project in January. Now The Hollywood Reporter reports that Warner Bros. and that director, Tarsem Singh, have filed lawsuits against one another in Los Angeles Superior Court.

On Feb. 1, Warner Bros. filed a complaint against Tarsem and his Oedipus Productions. The suit alleges that Singh violated his contract with the studio by bailing on the project. Warner is requesting that the court order arbitration of the dispute and may also seek damages.

Last Friday, Singh fired back claiming that Warner "baited (him) with false promises, usurped his creative rights (rights guaranteed under the DGA Agreement), and then, in an ultimate irony, sued im for millions for allegedly failing to do exactly that which they prevented him from doing."

Among Singh's allegations are the charge that the studio tried to prevent him from meeting with the film's writer, that they ignored his script changes and instead presented him with a script "which could not be performed at a cost the studio was willing to accept." Finally, the director also alleges that the studio was actively seeking a replacement for him during the development.

In his complaint, Singh also claims that he never signed the contract with the studio and only had an oral agreement to supervise development of the script.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

shit. this could be a while. but yea, thats the project I was thinking of.

NEON MERCURY

..cowboykurtis..please post one more time your "post count" as of. now is evil..

and i like singh

bonanzataz

he'll never work in this town again. sigh...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

I was very disappointed with The Cell. Obviously, there's no story there; this was a cut and dried case of a style in search of a story. Visually, I guess it was all right, but it was just one cheap rip-off after another from the art world (Damien Hirst, etc). There was something very, very slick, almost to the point of being trashy (in the bad, completely disposable way), that I didn't care for. The Losing My Religion video was obviously also a trip to the museum with a cinematographer, but you can get away with a lot more in a music video without seeming smug and glib, which was my impression of The Cell.

There were some beautiful moments, but I actually felt really betrayed by this movie, more so than other highly anticipated failures (like Fight Club). It just seemed so much like something I would really like... but I found it overall quite poor on almost every level, including the touted "visual" one.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: godardianthe music video direcotr franics lawrence is now directing constantine. i saw them shooting in hollywood at  a hot dog stand. mr. reeves said "woa" when i walked by, i wanst sure what to think.
...your excuses are your own...

Ghostboy

I was massively impressed by The Cell when I first saw it -- I thought the hollow script was transformed entirely into something deep when it was meshed with the amazing visuals. I felt that Roger Ebert's 4 star review was entirely justified.

Like GT, though, I found that its esteem faded in my eyes over time. Visually, it's still amazing, but the story doesn't hold up so well. I'll wait until he makes another movie to judge him as a filmmaker...for now, The Cell is luscious eye candy, but not much more. And some of the imagery now makes me wonder if Tarsem may have seen a few episodes of the Cremaster cycle during pre-production....particularly number 5.

P.S. I love the score. Intensely ominous stuff.

cine

Quote from: bonanzatazhe'll never work in this town again. sigh...
No, it's 'singh'..

Sleuth

ACTUALLY HE WAS JUST EXPRESSING A SIGH IN WRITTEN FORM, RATHER THAN REFERRING TO DIRECTOR TARSEM SINGH AS YOU SEEM TO THINK WHAT A CONFUSING MIXUP THAT WAS CAN A SMILEY BE RELALY BIGHSD 5 8)
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

New 'Westworld' Won't Have Schwarzenegger

The remake of the science fiction thriller "Westworld" is going ahead without the Governator. Arnold Schwarzenegger was to have co-produced and appeared in the movie but those plans were put aside after his 2003 election.

The trade paper Daily Variety reported Friday that a director has been chosen for the remake: Tarsem Singh, who directed the much-panned 2000 thriller "The Cell"

The governor, who starred in the "Terminator" and "Conan" movies, has not held any discussions about involvement with the movie, his representative said Friday.

"It's not even on the governor's radar right now," spokeswoman Sheryl Main said. "He's concentrating on the special election that's coming up in November. That is not even a blip on the screen."

There's no word on when "Westworld" might start production or be released. Schwarzenegger's current term ends in January 2007 but he can seek re-election.

He has appeared in at least one movie since his election. He had a five-minute cameo as a womanizing prince in last year's "Around the World in 80 Days." The cameo was filmed before Schwarzenegger turned his sights on Sacramento.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Boo, Tarsem!  Boo, Arnold!  Go back to music videos and state governance, respectively!
My house, my rules, my coffee