Films showing on TV.....

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 03, 2010, 05:56:26 AM

Gold Trumpet

Threads similar like this one may exist, but I want this to be a thread previewing significant films that will be showing on television in the near future.

On Turner Classic Movies this month, is the premiere of Max Ophuls' Letter From an Unknown Woman (1948). Date is March 27, 10:15pm eastern.

Available only on an all region DVD and not Region 1, I heard this has been the most requested film for Turner to show since the cable channel came on air. I'm definitely excited for this film to finally show because Ophuls has spent too much time in the shadows of cinephile love.

I always keep my ear to what's happening on Turner so I'll keep posting more interesting titles, but I definitely want other recommendations and notices from people on the board.

classical gas

For people with the Ovation channel, this Sunday they'll be playing : Cabaret@noon, Paper Moon@3:00, Chinatown@5:00 and then Cinema Paradiso@8:00.  The last one, seeing as how it will conflict with the oscars, will replay at one in the morning.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 03, 2010, 05:56:26 AMAvailable only on an all region DVD and not Region 1

All region means it'll play in any region, includion region 1.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 03, 2010, 08:46:57 PM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 03, 2010, 05:56:26 AMAvailable only on an all region DVD and not Region 1

All region means it'll play in any region, includion region 1.

I know, but it's usually filler for a company to release a crappy edition and get the benefits of all regions. I'm still waiting for a proper Region 1 DVD.

classical gas

So apparently this month is the 100th anniversary of Akira Kurosawa's birth and on TCM they're playing his movies every Tuesday night.  overall they're showing about twenty of his films. 

tpfkabi

Glad you started this since I have wanted to do this for years (especially in regards to TCM showings), but I'm not cool enough for people to take part if I did it. 

:yabbse-smiley:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

classical gas

there's a pretty interesting line-up this evening (well, 18 hours from now) on TCM:

8:Citizen Kane
10:15: The Seventh Seal
12:00: The Third Man
2:00: The Earrings of Madame De...

tpfkabi

Quote from: classical gas on October 06, 2010, 02:24:03 AM
there's a pretty interesting line-up this evening (well, 18 hours from now) on TCM:

8:Citizen Kane
10:15: The Seventh Seal
12:00: The Third Man
2:00: The Earrings of Madame De...

I noticed that, too. I can see the connection between 1 and 3, but not sure about 2 and 4.

I've recently got to see two Malick films courtesy of TCM - Badlands and Days of Heaven.

Gold Trumpet

It's Critic's Pick night. You're going to get random but good all month. David Ansen and Richard Corliss tonight.

tpfkabi

I ended up watching a good deal of Kane. Just saw that Wes Anderson put Earrings at the top of his Criterion list. Ophuls is one of the ones I've seen mentioned, but have yet to see any of his films. I will have to record it.

TCM is great. I saw The Virgin Spring for the first time recently. I knew it was Bergman, so I planned to watch the first bit while recording and then go to bed and watch the rest later. I was so engrossed I ended up watching the whole thing.

Reel

It sucks that IFC is taking after the Sundance channel and showing commercials now. It's borderline sacriligious! Like if xixax started having pop up ads or something..

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Reelist on December 09, 2010, 01:18:02 PM
It sucks that IFC is taking after the Sundance channel and showing commercials now. It's borderline sacriligious! Like if xixax started having pop up ads or something..

Yea, I noticed that during an airing of Heathers the other night. I was confused but I also did not know about Sundance's turn to commercials. I'm just glad a movie like The White Ribbon has premiered on Starz and I can watch it uninterrupted. Actually, the mainstream movie networks have more and better new indepedent and foreign film releases. I feel like if I want to watch old TV shows from early 2000s or 90s, I will go to IFC now.

Stefen

They're showing commercials during the movies?  :shock:
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

Yeah, not even like for upcoming movies and events but commercial commercials. It's blowing my mind, what happened to your independence IFC? I guess they needed the Christmas dough  :yabbse-undecided:

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.