Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

Started by cine, February 21, 2009, 02:13:11 PM

cine

this will be discussed sooner than later so lets have at it.

they've had a LOT of prep time with their NBC videos but i have no clue what kind of flavour they plan to bring to 12:30. letterman was anti-talkshow silly, conan was surreal, cartoon silly... if i had to guess, i'd say fallon is trying to bring a more book-smart silly. whatever that is.

but the best news as far as im concerned is that he's got a writer in AD MILES.

... discuss.

Gold Trumpet

I've never seen Fallon comfortable in his own skin. In movies, even when he tries to play something other than awkward, he still manages to come off as slightly awkward all the time. He can use that to his benefit on a late night talk show, but I don't think he will use his personality accordingly. It will still get in the way of good jokes and letting a guest talk.

I don't know, I think he's one of the few celebs who can never have too many bobbleheads made of him. But I think the show will go for a brand of goofy and try to slightly be different than Conan, but it will never get out of the shadow.

picolas

ever since his last conan interview i've been worried. he was definitely uncomfortable doing anything unscripted that wasn't praising conan or laughing at his jokes and reacted oddly to the audience laughing at the last, unintentionally funny thing he said... i loved him on snl, but ever since then i've realized how singularly perfect snl was for him. he's obviously not great at playing his non-snl self or choosing written material ('almost famous' aside). still i want him to be great and i hope i'm wrong.

diggler

Quote from: picolas on February 21, 2009, 02:42:40 PM
he's obviously not great at playing his non-snl self or choosing written material ('almost famous' aside). still i want him to be great and i hope i'm wrong.

this is why the decision to pick him puzzled me. he's at his best playing characters, but every time he's just being 'jimmy fallon" he's rather unfunny, sometimes embarassingly so.

anything beats ferguson though, god that show is awful.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

SiliasRuby

Ferguson sucks. and I wholeheartedly agree on what people are saying here about Fallon.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

cine

i must make a correction here.. i just realized that not only is AD Miles a writer, he is their HEAD writer.

Stefen

The only people who watch TV late at night are stoners who can't afford cable. Conan dominated that time slot because he appeals to stoners who can't afford cable.

As a stoner who can't afford cable, let me just say that Jimmy Fallon sucks so bad.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Stefen on February 21, 2009, 03:46:02 PM
The only people who watch TV late at night are stoners who can't afford cable. Conan dominated that time slot because he appeals to stoners who can't afford cable.

As a stoner who can't afford cable, let me just say that Jimmy Fallon sucks so bad.
Hell ya...I'm a stoner who can work consistency and hard on any job most people give me. I'm not sure if that made any sense. I'm a little bit out of it now.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

hedwig

i've always been anti-fallon. i was pretty appalled when i heard the news. :yabbse-undecided:

GT's right about that shadow. what an enormous shadow. i don't see how even AD Miles as head writer could survive jimmy fallon's total lack of charsima. the conan crew wrote material that blended perfectly with conan's persona, but the persona itself was hilarious too. he could squeeze a laugh out of ANYTHING. this is key. fallon has none of that. he's "quirky" in the most annoying way.

pete

it took conana a few years to find his footing.  be patient.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

I agree with most comments here. I've never been a fan and though he sucked in everything he did outside SNL. I never watched his movies though I think, 'Fever Pitch' because he looked stupid and managed to ruin an excellent book, and 'Taxi' because he also managed to look stupid, but also managed to to take a stupid good movie (the original Taxi) and make it horrible.

I think they will try to make him cool and hip, trying to capture the SNL crowd, but I don't see so many people tuning in. I cannot wait for Conan to come back in the Fall.

Ravi

Quote from: pete on February 21, 2009, 08:03:46 PM
it took conana a few years to find his footing.  be patient.

True, though even in his first episode Conan displayed his trademark sense of humor.  I have the episode on my computer if anyone's interested.  Jimmy's been around for a long time, and, while he's a good impressionist and somewhat engaging as an overall entertainer, he's not that funny.  I'd love to be proven wrong, though, and I'm glad that AD Miles is the head writer.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: kal on February 21, 2009, 08:43:57 PM
I think they will try to make him cool and hip, trying to capture the SNL crowd, but I don't see so many people tuning in.

I don't know. One thing Jimmy Fallon has going for him is celebrity. While I don't understand how anyone can find Ferguson funny, he had been catching up in ratings to Conan. Just a few weeks ago he was even beating him in viewers so Fallon doesn't have to strike up comedic gold to be successful.

MacGuffin

De Niro, Morrison first guests for Fallon's show

NEW YORK – If Jimmy Fallon is nervous about the premiere of his new gig as "Late Night" host, he'll have show-biz heavyweights Robert De Niro and Van Morrison to lean on. They'll be the guests for Fallon's March 2 debut hosting the NBC late-night show.

Fallon replaces Conan O'Brien, who has his final show Friday before heading out west to take over the "Tonight" show in June.

Morrison will perform material from his critically praised "Astral Weeks" album.

NBC says Tina Fey, Jon Bon Jovi, Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, Donald Trump and Serena Williams are among other guests scheduled for Fallon's first week on "Late Night."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

Deniro's just as bad as he is on SNL (I lost interest for a minute there), Timberlake was saving (always amusing and entertaining, I'm constantly impressed with how talented he is, first on SNL, then here), never seen a more awkward monologue, but that's to be expected.  Lick it for 10 was somewhat amusing, but the objects chosen weren't nearly as gross as they could be.  Could've started a trend there.  Rule of comedy, you put the chick last, and fill in the blanks as the chips may fall.  Missed opportunity, there.  It'll get better.  This was to be expected.

How long 'til Conan's back, again?  :)