Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

MacGuffin

In an upcoming interview for Empire, Quentin Tarantino revealed a little about the second film and what we can expect - "'Vol 2 is out February 20. Vol 1 is a pure burst of adrenaline. Two we slow it down a little bit, you get to know the characters more, especally Bill; he's in every other fucking frame. Two's more like my other movies, the dialogue comes to the fore, and it's more chronologically fucked. And it really ain't gonna end pretty". The man is also opinionated on the way cinema is heading thanks to the digital revolution - "This CGI bullsh*t is the death knell of cinema. Movies are far too f**king expensive at the moment and it's killing the f**king art form. The way it's going, in ten year's time it will officially be killed".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

finlayr

I think...sorry...he IS absolutely right about what he said about people like the Wachowski's that are flushing cinema right down the fucking toilet with their bullshit CGI.  I knew where Tarantino was coming from before he knew where he was, if ya get me?  I knew he wouldn't do pathetic-looking CGI shit like the fucking Matrix bullshit. Expectation for Kill Bill grows and grows and I'm sure it won't disappoint..and even if it does (by some miracle) then I'll still like it...

REPEAT AFTER ME:

Down with CGI!!!!!!!
Filmmaker

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

prophet

CGI+DUMB PUBLIC=$$$ FOR THE STUDIOS
We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

the first Jurassic Park CGI was fresh and pragmatic. Goofy bluescreen is not.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Alethia

CGI along the lines of say - a film like Minority Report, good.  scooby doo, very bad.

bonanzataz

i must say, spielberg knows how to use his cgi. excluding the reissue of E.T. ... that was pathetic.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ShanghaiOrange

And the COEN brothers know how use CGI TOO! So THERE!
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

cine

Ok the thing with the CGI complaints, I think, is that a good number of people might say that Kill Bill is kinda lame because fighting characters aren't flying and stopping in the air and just doing really far fetched shit. There is nothing wrong with good CGI films.. but when they grow popular and in high demand, they shove them down our throats a little too much and it grows ugly fan bases... the ones where I know too many people who like those films and would vomit after seeing Kill Bill for not being CGI. And I dunno, that's not a good thing really. There should be a healthy balance.. not people creaming their pants just because there's a blue screen involved or people jumping and flying in the air a lot.
Of course, there's nothing wrong with creaming your pants either....

nix

There are a few keys to using CGI:

1) Use it sparingly. Lots of movies do GCI for the sake of it, when an in camera effect would look better.

2) Keep your CGI from looking like CGI. Minority report is a pretty good example with the exception of the greenhouse scene.

Like any other TOOL in fimmaking, it's meant to enhance the storytelling (the first Matrix), not for spectical (The Matrix Reloaded).
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

modage

FIRST SHOTS FROM KILL BILL: VOLUME TWO

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

I cant wait for this movie to come out... and cant wait for the Vol. 1 DVD... which will for sure have some really f***cked up stuff on it and a lot of extras

mr_boz

i agree with nix here:

Quote from: nix

1) Use it sparingly. Lots of movies do CGI for the sake of it, when an in camera effect would look better.

2) Keep your CGI from looking like CGI. Minority report is a pretty good example with the exception of the greenhouse scene.

Like any other TOOL in fimmaking, it's meant to enhance the storytelling (the first Matrix), not for spectical (The Matrix Reloaded).

perhaps the root of this thread is the rise of technology in cinema?  if so, the fear might come from the perception that there is a trend to make movies where the technology is the focus rather than more traditional stuff such as plot, characters, acting.  i agree that the existence of such a trend would be disheartening but would assert that the system has a way of working itself out.

case in point:  the reviews for the new MATRIX films are not good.

i like to think that audiences are generally smart enough to recognize good film-making and to separate vapid CGI spectacles from the stuff of substance.  without this assumption, the film-making process becomes a bit self defeating.  you have to trust your audience to make up their own mind regarding what is good and what is disposable.

this discussion gets emotional when film-makers and film-lovers come to terms with the frequent disparity between critical acclaim and box office receipts.  despite the shitty reviews that MATRIX RELOADED received, it still made a ton at the box office.  some would say a good portion of this revenue was *because* of the use of technology.  i agree that the disparity between critical acclaim and a good box office is worthy of discussion, but it's nothing new.

good story tellers know technology is only a means to an end, not an end in itself.

-ccb