tips for Oink ratio (and now Spotify)

Started by cron, July 05, 2007, 11:27:21 PM

Jeremy Blackman

10 Alternatives to Mininova (I like Kickass Torrents and btjunkie.)

And for streaming TV, the best is NinjaVideo.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

It's not like I'm going to stop yet, but simultaneously, I could easily stop torrenting now.  I have way more music and movies than what I've given a fair listening / viewing to.

What a marvelous age we live in.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

I say I only listen to and watch about 30% of what I download. In a way, the net has kind of made entertainment disposable, but on the plus side, it's easier to hear/see things that you couldn't before.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Stefen

Free leech at what, bitches. FREE LEECH AT WHAT!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

WHAT!?

Does one need an invite to join, and if so, can you help me out?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

http://mog.com/RGM/blog/2101426

Movie Piracy Crackdown Begins, Internet Sites Seized

By: Julia Boorstin CNBC Correspondent

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) just announced a major takedown of nine movie piracy sites that illegally offered first-run movies, some within just hours of their theatrical release. Federal officials began a crackdown of alleged movie piracy sites This action is part of an anti-piracy initiative targeting Internet counterfeiting and piracy "Operation In Our Sites" that ICE and the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York announced Wednesday. ICE, which is part of the Department of Homeland Security, seized nine domain names: Movies-links.TV, nowmovies.com, thepiratecity.org, filespump.com, planetmoviez.com, zml.org, tvshack.net, ninjavideo.net and thisninja.net. These sites generate revenue from ads and some also solicit donations.

Federal authorities shut the illegal businesses down by seizing assets from 15 bank, PayPal, investment and advertising accounts. They also executed residential search warrants in several states. The head of ICE, John Morton, says that the number of illegal movie sites is dramatically rising both in the U.S. and abroad, and organized crime is behind some of them. ICE is putting movie piracy front and center in this new initiative, by making its first actions to protect the movie studios' intellectual property.

The announcement was made at Disney [DIS 31.50 -0.80 (-2.48%) ], and the head of ICE, Assistant Secretary Morton, was joined on stage with representatives of the Motion Picture Association Member studios. The studios aided the Southern District of New York and ICE in gathering the info to prosecute the offending sites. Morton says that the sites ICE is taking down, illegally streamed millions of movies with "millions and millions of hits on a monthly basis." Yes, new piracy sites can always pop up, but Morton tells us that if a new piracy site does launch, it'll take about a year before it can draw the kind of traffic as the sites it's shutting down today.

Pharmaceuticals, music, software, games, and everything else that can be pirated are also part of "Operation In Our Sites." ICE won't break down the exact numbers, but says that intellectual property violations cost American companies billions of dollars and the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs.

----------------------------------

Particularly the last quote in question.  Now, see, I'm not pro costing-billions-of-dollars nor am I pro-loss-of-hundreds-of-thousands-of-jobs, but I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit.  If you deal in these numbers, then surely any ACTUAL numbers at all could help elucidate the reasoning behind all this.  And by all this, I mean spending tax payer money through government programs to stop "pirating" media.

This is just the state of the digital age, people will send files to each other.  P2P only reflects that on a larger scale, and putting people in prison for it is just making you look incredibly out of touch.  Oh wait, they're not planning on looking good, they're planning on making money so they extinguish all these P2P servers, I get it.  But this is god damn ridiculous.  

There could be a move to democratize media, because I'm sure consumers don't mind paying, it's the outlandish price of movie theaters, which go up because they want to.  Of course they can blame movie piracy, but really, I can tell that working in a theater, people love that experience of getting out and seeing a big movie projection in the dark.  It's a designated cinema house, people will show up. Movie piracy is something you'll have to plan around, but it's not going to go away.  Fighting it only makes you look like an asshole.

But I guess the government has never and will never be concerned with looking like an asshole.  I mean, if I made as much money as they do to spend the money that I give them to do whatever they want, then fuck, I'd be trying to sue the internet in general.

cronopio 2

is anyone willing to share an invite for one of those kickass places where they have every song ever made?
my resources have become insufficient...

Stefen

PM me your email or send me a message on facebook.

cinemanarchist

Stefen...
  I'm sure you're still recovering from your big day, but do you have anymore what.cd* invites laying around? Magiska just went invite only and I need another spot to handle my habit.

*or Waffles...
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

PM me your email or send me a message on facebook.

Reel

I just started downloading again for the first time since I was 12 ( back in the napster days ) and I've just been using Pirate bay but their selection of shit seems extremely limited to my tastes. I mean, to me it's like a miracle to be able to download a movie onto your computer, but I guess I'm just into the more artsy fartsy stuff  :yabbse-undecided: What else should I check out? Should I try Oink? Idk a lot of this thread is gibberish to me, I don't want something too high maintanence. Really I have no complaints about the pirate bay, except Broken Bells just put out an EP and I can't me a copy on there! WTF?

Stefen

Oink got shut down in 2006. A few other sites popped up in its place like what.cd and waffles.fm. Both are fantastic.

But it's serious business. You have to keep a good upload ratio and it's a lot of hard work. It's more of a community than a hit and run type tracker like piratebay.

You're probably better off sticking with piratebay and other public trackers. I use those a lot too.