Devendra Banhart

Started by A Matter Of Chance, October 20, 2005, 07:26:03 PM

A Matter Of Chance

I don't know if there's already a tread about this guy on here, but there should be. I've loved him for a while, and last night I popped my cherry to him when I saw him live with the madness of Bunny Brains on hand. It was a great how, I met Noah Georgeson. Anyways, I love him.

i like the fact that he's very young and has made like 80 songs in 3 years. workaholic musicians kick ass .
context, context, context.

The Perineum Falcon

Cripple Crow is terribly beautiful.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

whoa.  hey, we were in the same place last night!  that was my friend (?) who shouted the osama bin loggin pun.  He was some kid I knew when I went out with this beautiful girl to see M Ward and he invited himself along and totally third/fourwheeled the night but also at the same time made me look so much cooler.
the show last night was alright, good musicianship and good tunes, but I wasn't really drawn into it.  I was just staring at the band three rows away (his dad sat in front of me), the slow tunes were too mellow to be overwhelming and the upbeat tunes were fun but never too jumping.  but devendra was cool, what a cool dude.  How many singers would invite a random person in the audience to go up and perform an original?  And that dude looked and sounded a lot like Devendra too.
wish I were more moved though!
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

A Matter Of Chance

Oh, Pete, you missed out, amigo. I went up to the front of the stage every chance I got, my friends and I are whores for freak folk.

Pubrick

Quote from: peteHow many singers would invite a random person in the audience to go up and perform an original?
belle and sebastian did that when i saw em. two fat chicks sang a couple songs, i was underwhelmed. so counting dev.. two :shock:
under the paving stones.

noyes

i used to eat lunch with him at kellogg's diner back when we both used to live in brooklyn. i used to bump into him back in late 2002 and then The Black Babies came out (his best recording, in my opinion) and i totally praised him for it. we made a deal that whenever we bump into each other we have to have lunch. he usually paid. one funny, goodhearted cat.
south america's my name.

squints

Quote from: renéCripple Crow is terribly beautiful.

I completely agree..."Long Haired Child", "Chinese Children" really really caught my attention on the first listen of the cd....first song i ever heard from this guy was "Little Yellow Spider"...great cd, great musician, great tunes :yabbse-thumbup:
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: noyesi used to eat lunch with him at kellogg's diner back when we both used to live in brooklyn. i used to bump into him back in late 2002 and then The Black Babies came out (his best recording, in my opinion) and i totally praised him for it. we made a deal that whenever we bump into each other we have to have lunch. he usually paid. one funny, goodhearted cat.

shit, i love you