Favorite Female Singer-Songwriter

Started by pookiethecat, June 09, 2003, 10:08:07 PM

pookiethecat

Men and women of Xixax, alike, admit your affection for estrogen-emphatic music and select your favorite sensitive female crooner...!

~Pookie, expert at sensitive female singer-songwriters (and burgeoning one herself)
i wanna lick 'em.

Pubrick

nico
aimee
fiona
cat
stina

just one?

bjork.
under the paving stones.

pookiethecat

this was supposed to be a poll...don't quite know where it went. ..ha.  but post your thoughts anyway. the choices included joni mitchell, laura nyro, aimee mann, fiona apple, ani difranco, and lucinda williams.  but post others too, as p has already done.  

and give reasons why!
i wanna lick 'em.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinI'll add PJ Harvey.

PJ Harvey is my favorite, too.

I also really like Nico.

But of the Pookie batch, I'll choose Joni Mitchell. If only for The Hissing of Summer Lawns.

I just recently heard my first Lucinda Williams song ("Right in Time") and was quite impressed.  Need to hear more. [/i]
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

pookiethecat

pj harvey.  god yes.  did anyone else notice "good fortune" in one of the scenes of shallow hal?  pj and the farley brothers. the oddest fucking combination ever.
i wanna lick 'em.

Ghostboy

So anyway, one of the songs from that 'Storie From The City...' album was also in 'Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back.'

But my favorites?

Bjork (no reasons needed), followed closely by Ms. Harvey and Ms. Apple. I used to love Portishead and Tori Amos a whole lot, but I don't listen to either very much anymore.

What about: Gloria Lynn, Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holliday, Nina Simone? And Lauryn Hill? All great as well.

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyI used to love Portishead a whole lot, but I don't listen to either very much anymore.

Still waiting for their next album.

Also, I completely forgot Dido.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pookiethecat

Quote from: GhostboyWhat about: Gloria Lynn, Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holliday, Nina Simone? And Lauryn Hill? All great as well.

I love Ella Fitzgerald's "Cry me a river" "Blue Skies" and I believe it's Billy Holiday's "Lover comes back to me."  Nina Simone's "Lilac Wine" is also sublime.  Jeff Buckley did a pretty cool cover of it a while back.  

I'm glad to know that Fiona is popular on this board.  There used to be/is an antipathy towards her from PTA fans, like she's a Yoko ono to lennon's pta...It's good to know that people appreciate her considerable artistic talent.  Her new album is going to come out sometime this fall and will most likely be fantastic.
i wanna lick 'em.

Ghostboy

The new Fiona album is scheduled for September 30th, and I really can't wait. That Jeff Buckley cover of Lilac Wine is great. And I bought Dido's album, but really couldn't stand it, although I tried. For a musical prodigy, I thought her songs were really badly written and arranged. But that's just me.

RegularKarate

Quote from: GhostboyAnd I bought Dido's album, but really couldn't stand it, although I tried. For a musical prodigy, I thought her songs were really badly written and arranged. But that's just me.

Agreed... I had heard some songs on the radio and swore that they must be poorly done radio edits, but that's the way her songs are.  They just aren't very good.

PJ Harvey is probably one of my favs.

Lucinda Williams can be good, but her drunk ass gets on my nerves and she seems very full of herself.  When I went to see Willie Nelson, she got pissed off that she wasn't headlining and couldn't take up all the time she wanted for her twenty-five minute extended cut of whatever fucking song that was... she just started cussing and people were about to have to pull her drunk ass off th stage.

Emylou Harris is much cooler.  I still haven't found an entire album by her that I like yet, but  some of her stuff is very unique and just plain cool.

Bjork rules... Portishead is awesome.

I love old Tori Amos... I saw her live so many times, I can't count back in the day.  Now she kind of bores me.   Though once in a while, she'll put out something kinda cool.

Pedro

Fiona, of course, but also Joni Mitchell.

SHAFTR

I can't help but love Natalie Imbruglia, her looks and her music, but especially her looks.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"