new Harry Potter book (spoilers) (split from reading thread)

Started by Ghostboy, July 16, 2005, 11:37:22 PM

Stefen

You still go to parties?

I haven't really been to one since I turned 21 (yesterday was my b-day btw)
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Stefen

Tell me about it.

I can't tell you how bad I want to meet a 15 year old.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

last days of gerry the elephant

Parties exist outside of the Highschool mark, I hope you knew that.

Stefen

No. No, I didn't.

Do you mean like key parties like in The Ice Storm?

grand theft sparrow

Can we move this to the "Stefen and Pubrick (don't) go to parties (split from new Harry Potter book (spoilers) (split from reading thread) thread)" thread?

So anyway, this book.  Flawed but great.  I think the ending was a little too abrupt and was hoping for a couple of things to happen that didn't but overall, I'm satisfied.  I guess I'll get more into it once RK and a couple of other people finish. 

Or once Stefen shows up on To Catch a Predator.

pumba

Just finished it too,

SPOILER:

I remember back in 2005 (at a party, coincidentally)  my friend explaining his theory about dumbledore asking snape to kill him and harry being a horcrux. It made total sense back then and I was like "fuck! that's so smart, that'll forsure happen!" but I was kind of hoping JK would completely surprise me, while reading, instead of following the same path my friend did. I still really enjoyed it, and i heard rumors of Joss Whedon begging to direct the movie...

tpfkabi

SPOILERS:

what's with the Malfoys just giving up?
is this based mostly on the fact that V insulted him by taking his wand?

after reading Half, i thought maybe Malfoy would turn totally good, and he did sorta.

Snape was made so bad/good throughout the series, i knew he had to turn out good.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

pete

that's so interesting that you're all talking about the book, 'cause, I'm not making this up.  Last night, I fucked every character that was in the book.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

Quote from: pete on July 24, 2007, 01:45:03 AM
Last night, I fucked every character that was in the book.

to death?

(spoilers)

is that why all their kids are asian?
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Way to spoil the epilogue, pete!   :yabbse-angry:

Quote from: bigideas on July 23, 2007, 06:49:34 PM
SPOILERS:

after reading Half, i thought maybe Malfoy would turn totally good, and he did sorta.

That was part of what I meant by things not happening that I was hoping for.  There was so much douchebaggery committed by the Malfoy family that you want them to, at the very least, go broke at the end, after taunting the Weasleys through 6 previous books about their financial status.  Narcissa's betrayal of Voldemort wasn't really enough for me in that respect.  If the only way to find Draco would have been to kill Harry and everyone in Hogwarts, she would have tried to find a way to do it.  So letting them off the hook without some degree of punishment is this universe's equivalent of letting Nazi war criminals off the hook just because Hitler is dead.

Draco has always been a coward, so I was hoping for a moment when he would quit being a punkass and actively save Harry's life or quit being a punkass and think he's got the balls to be Voldemort.

Plus, the ending (before the epilogue) was too abrupt.  I was really hoping for a scene where Harry has to take his Defense Against the Dark Arts N.E.W.T. and he just sits there and laughs or writes, "My name is Harry Potter" for every answer.

tpfkabi

Quote from: SPARR•O on July 26, 2007, 08:25:53 AM
Way to spoil the epilogue, pete!   :yabbse-angry:

Quote from: bigideas on July 23, 2007, 06:49:34 PM
SPOILERS:

That was part of what I meant by things not happening that I was hoping for.  There was so much douchebaggery committed by the Malfoy family that you want them to, at the very least, go broke at the end, after taunting the Weasleys through 6 previous books about their financial status.  Narcissa's betrayal of Voldemort wasn't really enough for me in that respect.  If the only way to find Draco would have been to kill Harry and everyone in Hogwarts, she would have tried to find a way to do it.  So letting them off the hook without some degree of punishment is this universe's equivalent of letting Nazi war criminals off the hook just because Hitler is dead.

Draco has always been a coward, so I was hoping for a moment when he would quit being a punkass and actively save Harry's life or quit being a punkass and think he's got the balls to be Voldemort.

Plus, the ending (before the epilogue) was too abrupt.  I was really hoping for a scene where Harry has to take his Defense Against the Dark Arts N.E.W.T. and he just sits there and laughs or writes, "My name is Harry Potter" for every answer.

i'm fuzzy - what was her betrayal?
(i hadn't read Half Blood and the rest for over a year when i read the new one)

i really would have liked to have known what jobs they had.

Tictacbk

SPOILERS

Quote from: bigideas on July 26, 2007, 04:34:42 PM

I believe that would be when she checked to see if Harry was dead...knew he wasn't...and then said he was?

I just finished the book.  I haven't had enough time to fully comment on it yet but I will say I'm somewhat disappointed that Harry was a Horcrux after all my arguing that he couldn't be.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Tictacbk on July 26, 2007, 09:08:24 PM
SPOILERS

I believe that would be when she checked to see if Harry was dead...knew he wasn't...and then said he was?

I just finished the book.  I haven't had enough time to fully comment on it yet but I will say I'm somewhat disappointed that Harry was a Horcrux after all my arguing that he couldn't be.

ah, yes.
i'm not sure i understand the motivation behind that.

grand theft sparrow

The motivation was "I may be a fascist but I still love my son."  Which we already knew since she was so upset in book 6 that Voldemort was sending Draco on a mission it looked like he would die during and made Snape do the Unbreakable Vow or whatever.  I guess it all falls into Rowling's theme of "love conquers all" but I was hoping for a little more activity.

I wondered that too.  Does Harry become an Auror like he wants to?  Is there even a need anymore?  Or does he end up as the David Beckham of Quidditch?