new Harry Potter book (spoilers) (split from reading thread)

Started by Ghostboy, July 16, 2005, 11:37:22 PM

Tictacbk

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: TictacbkHow can a horcrux be a person?

There wasn't anything that said it couldn't be, as far as I can remember.

But if a horcrux is a piece of someones soul, then if that piece of soul resides within Harry he would currently possessed by voldemort.  much like the piece of soul that was in the diary that possessed Ginny in the 2nd book.

Also i do think snape loved Lily and thats why dumbledore trusted him so much...whats the consensus on whether or not snape is really evil?  I think he is and if he wasn't Rowling would've summed it up  in this book instead of letting you wonder.  Also the only way to show that snape isn't evil is to have Harry trust him at some point...which he has never done.  I only foresee that happening if Snape is saving Harry's life...which would be interesting.

God i can't belive i've posted more in this forum than any reasonable ones..

deathnotronic

Reinhold

who do you think is going to die in the next book?
do you think that harry will have to use any unforgivables?

do we know how sirius' brother died?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Tictacbk
Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: TictacbkHow can a horcrux be a person?

There wasn't anything that said it couldn't be, as far as I can remember.

But if a horcrux is a piece of someones soul, then if that piece of soul resides within Harry he would currently possessed by voldemort.  much like the piece of soul that was in the diary that possessed Ginny in the 2nd book.

But you're forgetting Harry's family protection, the reason he has to go back to his Aunt and Uncle's house every summer.  That could be the difference.  Maybe he's the perfect horcrux for that reason.  That would also explain the parseltongue.  I don't know that I completely buy into the "Horcrux Harry" theory 100% but I think it's very possible.

Quote from: TictacbkAlso i do think snape loved Lily and thats why dumbledore trusted him so much...whats the consensus on whether or not snape is really evil?  I think he is and if he wasn't Rowling would've summed it up  in this book instead of letting you wonder.  Also the only way to show that snape isn't evil is to have Harry trust him at some point...which he has never done.  I only foresee that happening if Snape is saving Harry's life...which would be interesting.

Again, I say that Snape has to be ultimately good for Rowling to have made us give a shit about him at all.  He may be an asshole to Harry but he's never been painted in the same pure evil way that the Malfoys or any of the Death Eaters are.  But he'd be irredeemable if he killed Dumbledore in cold blood without there being an understanding between the two and, as RegularKarate said:

Quote from: RegularKarateDumbledore trusted Snape and I don't see Rowling's lesson being "you can't trust people"

The real test of Snape's loyalty will come if and when he has to choose between saving Harry or Draco.  Does he sacrifice himself for Harry and the greater good or does he fulfill his unbreakable vow and save Draco (and himself)?

As for Snape being in love with Lily... it's probably the case but something doesn't sound right to me about that.  Can't put my finger on it.  Maybe that it hasn't been established already (has it?).

Quote from: TictacbkGod i can't belive i've posted more in this forum than any reasonable ones..

Me neither.

Reinhold

the unbreakable vow is already taken care of, i thought. didn't he fulfill his obligation to narcissa when he killed dumbledore? that was the end of draco's mission.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

grand theft sparrow

So... is anyone else re-reading the first 6 in preparation for the 7th?

Pubrick

hedwig is trying and failing.

i don't know if i should just read the ending of the last book without reading anything else. just to tell my kids i did it, that i alienated myself from yet another defining moment of my era. like some dude who spent the 60s playing solitaire and reupholstering his furniture.
under the paving stones.

picolas

i did that for the fifth or sixth when i was in the airport one day. (now only you can live out the dream of ONLY 7)

Tictacbk

I just picked up 6 again to reread and get excited for 7.  New HP=me posting on xixax again for a couple weeks of geekdom, woohoo!

grand theft sparrow

Just heard that the epilogue to the new book has leaked.

So I'll see you guys next week as I won't be going on the internet until I'm done reading the book.

Stefen

EDIT: Spoilers! Apologies to anyone who already read this! I AM SO SORRY!!

Why waste the whole half of the book with Ron in a coma only to kill him off in the middle? Why not have him die suddenly protecting his friends?

Pisses me off.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Raikus

I download it from bit torrent yesterday. So far pretty good. Hard to read some pages do to angles but I'm already pretty sad about what's happened.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Bethie

My friend and I stopped by a Barnes and Noble tonight just to make fun. She couldn't believe how many cars were there. I told her I felt like going through the store and yelling the spoilers for the new book. We did a walk through of the store and snickered the whole time. When we left she said to me, "I don't understand why they didn't release the book and the movie on the same day? why would they release the movie before the book?" I said, "the movie that just came out was for a previous book.." Her response, "...really? ohh..I had no idea!"
who likes movies anyway

Reinhold

some copies came into work a couple days ago. i finished the book the night i got it. i think this'll make the best movie.

Pubrick

during a lull at a party last nite i went on wikipedia and read the ending.

i made it their homepage.

under the paving stones.