new Harry Potter book (spoilers) (split from reading thread)

Started by Ghostboy, July 16, 2005, 11:37:22 PM

Ghostboy

Started the new Harry Potter today, and am about 200 pages in - I'll probably have it finished in a day or two. There's a dropped bombshell of sorts within the first thirty pages. Good stuff.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: GhostboyStarted the new Harry Potter today, and am about 200 pages in - I'll probably have it finished in a day or two. There's a dropped bombshell of sorts within the first thirty pages. Good stuff.

p. 534 for me.  120 pages to go.  Solid writing all the way through as usual.  There's a bunch of "holy shit" moments, but (and this isn't necessarily bad) it feels like it's merely setup for the non-stop insanity that book 7 is destined to be.

<-- hey, look!  Professor Lupin.  ;)

Ultrahip

Just finished it, and have (I modestly presume) figured out who R.A.B is: Sirius's brother.

Reinhold

stole my prediction from me.

finished it about 20 minutes ago.

i expect a lot of piiiiisssssed off parents. this one isn't oriented to kids at all.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

context, context, context.

deathnotronic

I think that this is the best book to date. It's obvious that Rowling has strengthened her writing.

Do you think that book 7 will be the last? I know JKR said it would be, but there are so many things that have been left in question that I don't want to think it'll take one book to tie up.

SPOILER:

Are you to assume that Hogwarts won't be open in book seven?

Ghostboy

Just finished it. Man, that was intense. Each of the past three books has been increasingly grim, increasingly thrilling...it's remarkable (and exhausting) how well she keeps raising the stakes.

The scene with the Inferi was pretty terrifying. That's gonna give kids nightmares...not to mention the eventual cinematic translation.

I do think she'll wrap it up with one more, but it might be closer to 900 pages or so...

SPOILER

And whether or not Hogwarts opens next year, I'm sure the characters will return to it, and the final showdown will probably be there as well.

Pubrick

haha, i can't believe how fast everyone reads these things. it's a shame it has to end. reading won't be cool anymore.
under the paving stones.

Myxo

I read the first Harry Potter but I'm too lazy to read these days. I think the last book I spent hours at a time reading was Stephen King's unedited version of The Stand. I spent my summer vacation working through it.

NEON MERCURY

is this on many of you guys high school summer reading lists?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Ultrahip Lobster SupperJust finished it, and have (I modestly presume) figured out who R.A.B is: Sirius's brother.

Wish I didn't read that. You're totally right.

POSSIBLE BOOK 7 SPOILER

Guaranteed, the next book opens with Privet Drive exploding on Harry's birthday, when his aunt's protection wears off.  

That book is gonna have to be 1000+ pages easily.  The countdown to summer 2007 begins.

Pas

Who is the marketing teacher in Hogwarts ? He's fucking strong.

RegularKarate

I had some shit come up over the weekend so I just finished this last night.

I agree about Sirius' brother... I think it's obvious that's what the B stands for...

So my theory is that Dumbledore isn't dead... Severus isn't a death eater and the whole thing is a cover.  Maybe I'm stating the obvious though.

I think this book was a step down from Order (which was a mild step down from Goblet), but it was still great.  I think Goblet is the best because of it's Empire Strikes Back qualities.  So dark... great ending.

This book isn't intended for kids.. it's intended for young teenagers.  She's writen these so that the readers should get older as the characters do.

American's are gonna bug about the underage drinking.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: RegularKarateSo my theory is that Dumbledore isn't dead... Severus isn't a death eater and the whole thing is a cover.  Maybe I'm stating the obvious though.

Dumbledore's dead as hell (from a certain point of view  :yabbse-wink:  ).  I'm sure that he'll be around in a painting in McGonagall's new office, along with the other former headmasters.  With all the damn ghosts and talking paintings and shit that float around Hogwarts, the only thing Dumbledore won't be able to do now that he could before is give Harry a hug.

Quote from: RegularKarateI think Goblet is the best because of it's Empire Strikes Back qualities.

You wanna go get a beer sometime?  Though I'd place HBP just above Order of the Phoenix.

Quote from: RegularKarateAmerican's are gonna bug about the underage drinking.

I thought they'd bug more about the subtle Bush/Iraq war-bashing, considering the flicker of controversy that surrounded Revenge of the Sith.

RegularKarate

Quote from: hacksparrow
Dumbledore's dead as hell (from a certain point of view).  I'm sure that he'll be around in a painting in McGonagall's new office, along with the other former headmasters.  With all the damn ghosts and talking paintings and shit that float around Hogwarts, the only thing Dumbledore won't be able to do now that he could before is give Harry a hug.

I'm with you... and he should be dead... we all knew it was going to happen, but:

A: Dumbledore had JUST told Malfoy they could manage to make it look like he was dead to the Death-eaters and Voldemordt.

B: Dumbledore trusted Snape and I don't see Rowling's lesson being "you can't trust people".

C: I don't quite remember what my "C" was, but I had another reason.