The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Captain of Industry

It's great to follow Network with Altered States for a Paddy Chayefsky double feature.

socketlevel

i still haven't seen the paddy flick Hospital i believe it's called
the one last hit that spent you...

Pubrick

Quote from: socketlevel on May 07, 2010, 10:36:03 AM

it's The Hospital, but anyway that's about as obcsure as saying "i've never seen The King of Marvin Gardens"

well i've seen both those titles but i think it's a bit of a stretch to think they deserve a mention in this thread. unless you bring it up in the context of "i claim to be Paddy Chayefsky's number one fan but.." or in my example "i consider myself an expert on Bob Rafelson but...".

no one is expecting anyone to have even heard of those films, let alone to hav seen them.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Yeah man, I mean, no one is above a shitty post but I have no fucking clue what film you are referring to so maybe this revelation makes sense on alt.binaries.paddychayeskyhentai or something

wow that usenet reference made no sense whatsoever

socketlevel

Quote from: P on May 07, 2010, 10:39:18 AM

it's The Hospital, but anyway that's about as obcsure as saying "i've never seen The King of Marvin Gardens"

well i've seen both those titles but i think it's a bit of a stretch to think they deserve a mention in this thread. unless you bring it up in the context of "i claim to be Paddy Chayefsky's number one fan but.." or in my example "i consider myself an expert on Bob Rafelson but...".

no one is expecting anyone to have even heard of those films, let alone to hav seen them.

i was off on the tangent conversation about paddy.  following up network with altered states comment made me think of how i still haven't seen the hospital. i don't claim to be embarrassed not having seen it.

Neil

no need to defend yourself, he's just aggressive, not you man.  You were talking about the same director that was being discussed.  And as far as shit being obscure, and "not needing to be discussed;"  Use google and get out of here.

Quote from: P on May 07, 2010, 10:39:18 AM

"WELL, I'VE SEEN BOTH OF THOSE OBSCURE TITLES but they don't deserve mention in a thread that is about being ashamed of not seeing specific films blah blah... you just socketlevel'd the socketlevel with your little messiah complex.

Why wouldn't the film Network or a great writer like Paddy "deserve a mention" in a thread like this? Considering that several people already have been saying they have not watched Network alone, his film making might need discussing..  Network as a stand alone film is one of the greatest films i have ever seen.  I know this gives it no merit, because the previous statement doesn't actually say anything.  But, anyone who wants to participate in the realm of mass media of any kind should see this film, it is brilliant is every sense of the word.

P, I don't believe that you said anything other than reaffirming your subterranean lifestyle.
Your post, said even less than most of mine on xixax, let alone this post that i am typing now.  What are you qualms with the films simply getting metnioned in a thread about movies that people should see?  I hope your arguments are as strong and legitimate as your critiques on Kanye's music via his public outbursts/image?  Because i'd love to hear it. A shit load of talk about what the artist is doing in their personal lives rather  than their art.

-------------------------------------------------
Quote from: New Feeling on April 17, 2010, 03:51:34 PM

Kanye is certainly one [the notable artists in the 00's) of them, and due to his run of excellent albums combined with his prolific and influential production work, especially with Jay-Z (one of the other few contenders), along with his highly controversial persona, I would cast my vote in his favor.  Of course now that I think about it I might have cast my vote for Radiohead or the Flaming Lips or Animal Collective, but I can't really consider them "Pop" in the same way I consider Kanye.  

Of course you are free to disagree and I'd love to hear who you think was the great pop musician of recent times.  

Quote from: P on April 18, 2010, 07:57:06 AM
i dunno.

in terms of success he isnt the GOAT that he believes himself to be. what ppl will remember are the ppl who were huge in 2000-2010. kanye's one of them but so is Black Eyed Peas (garbage) and Justin Timberlake (kinda alrite) -- THAT's pop music, hell even BEYONCE is more easily classifiable as pop music than freaking Jay Z. an early contender for this title in the new decade is Gaga - EASY.

Kanye is probably best compared to Timbaland. his hip hop cred is nowhere near Jay Z and to be honest that's the only thing Jay Z brings to the table (god knows where he got it cos i think the dude is massively overrated).. in terms of amazing pop music you have to look at what Timbaland did as producer (pussycat dolls and those 2late 2pologize ppl notwithstanding) in the last decade. he's on hiatus now, whatever that means, but he left his mark and made a pretty penny which won't be forgotten anytime soon.

kanye SELLS himself as the greatest of all time. so when ppl try to think of who the best is, it's easy to remember that there was this one dude who all he ever said was "hey i'm the best pop artist of all time, remember that".. that's actually frighteningly close to a real quote of his.  he is not the best POP artist between 2000 and 2010 in terms of success, or even what he's done to the genre.

he's just a egomaniac producer slightly more camera-hungry than timbaland.

Can't wait for another great outlook from you p.  

He's much more successful than Timbo, success has something to do with the Pop(ular) culture music.  Kanye has made some of the greatest produced hip hop albums in the decade we speak of.  Timbo has released some great tracks but no game changers, just fads, Kanye started the whole idea of major labels giving Producer/rappers a shot at their own album.  Listen to Kanye West's albums and then listen to the new one Timbo just released "Shock Value: 2."  Go give that a listen, and compare it to any of Kanye's records, especially the second release produced by john brion.   On timbo's album you'll find all of your favorites.  Miley Cirus, Katy Perry, Daughtry, Chad Kroeger, all the great contributions to pop music.  Kanye actually makes good albums, but you seem to solely focus on the realms outside of the art.  Kind of like the idea of "obscure" films and you having seen them and letting the masses know it isn't worth it or worth mentioning in discourse

Stick the shit that you "actually research"  Oh yeah, Jay Z got his "street cred" from selling grams to grammy's....AND he was friends with Notorious BIG, one can ride that wave for a while

I don't need a "JUST FOR THE RECORD"  or a "I NEED THE LAST WORD POST EITHER"  Save your time and let's get back to films.

I've never watched Barry Lydon or a Pedro Almodovar either.  :(
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Pas

The two films in questions were not Network and the Hospital but The King of Marvin Gardens and the Hospital.

Yikes.

socketlevel

i'm not defending, i'm clarifying. i should have quoted my post and this issue could have been avoided. one thing for sure is this shit is about to explode! what path are we all starting down now?! lol

neil thanks for defending, but i saw P's post less aggressive than you, i think he read it directly related to the OP. I can hold my own even if it was an attack :)  one love though, appreciate you got my back (no sarcasm).

we're actually talking about a writer, not a director. just to set the record straight (you said both in your post)

onto the films:

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2010, 01:22:04 PM

Pedro Almodovar is one of the most overrated film makers around.

socketlevel

you just socketlevel'd the socketlevel with your little messiah complex.

i don't know whether to hit you or hug you. i like attention as much as the next guy but damn... lol

ono

Quote from: Pas on May 07, 2010, 11:06:12 AM
Yeah man, I mean, no one is above a shitty post but I have no fucking clue what film you are referring to so maybe this revelation makes sense on alt.binaries.paddychayeskyhentai or something

wow that usenet reference made no sense whatsoever
Haha, I loled, though.  :]  :yabbse-thumbsup:

Captain of Industry

Quote from: socketlevel on May 07, 2010, 01:59:21 PM
onto the films:

Pedro Almodovar is one of the most overrated film makers around.

Balls to that.  Overrated in what sense?  I'm trying to think of how he could be overrated, and is it that you don't like his febrile melodrama narratives?  Okay let's say you don't - the man knows his craft, there's no way around it.  He's one of dying cinema's enduring warriors.  That Scorsese quote about Samuel Fuller keeps springing to my mind, "If you don't like the films of Sam Fuller, then you just don't like cinema."  I sort of think calling Almodovar overrated is calling cinema overrated, in the same sense.

Pas

I'm with you Captain. Almodovar overrated lol what a silly thing to say. He's underrated if anything.

Alexandro

Gold Trumpet

I understand the overrated comment from an angle. In the 1980s, he made comedies that highlighted his excellent writing and today, he makes sentimental movies that highlight his stylistic touches. The irreverence today is his ability to make unlikely things touching, but I think his writing is his major strength and the style of writing that made him famous is no longer in his filmmaking. He could be called overrated because it's his cinema today that is getting everyone to comment on him. I don't think we look back enough with Almodovar. 

Alexandro

kind of agree. specially after being so let down by broken embraces. still, all about my mother and talk to her are two films that really, are both excellent screenplays and directing jobs. hard to top those. just writing-wise, most movies, you know where they're going at some point. but Talk to Her is just completely unpredictable all the way until de end, you never know where it's going, and yet is so entertaining and fascinating. Love that film...

Back to the subject, that doesn't really make him overrated...perhaps it makes some of his films overrated and others underrated, but him, personally as a filmmaker...nop.