NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: deathnotronicit's generally considered cheap but a lot of the elite players love playing with it.

Well, yeah, call it cheap, but that's all you can do while they beat you.  At first I tried different approaches, but when you're swimming with the sharks, you've got to adapt, you know?  I personally prefer Protoss, but if I want to win without any real strategic approach, I will mass Lings.

QuoteNR 15 LOLZ.

Classic.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

deathnotronic

Quote from: Walrus
Quote from: deathnotronicit's generally considered cheap but a lot of the elite players love playing with it.

Well, yeah, call it cheap, but that's all you can do while they beat you.  At first I tried different approaches, but when you're swimming with the sharks, you've got to adapt, you know?  I personally prefer Protoss, but if I want to win without any real strategic approach, I will mass Lings.

QuoteNR 15 LOLZ.

Classic.

I haven't played this game in a good year or so. I should play it.

Too bad I'm too addicted to World of Warcraft to do anything else than: eat, sleep, go to school.

Jeremy Blackman

So is there a viable defense against this evil strategy?

Do you mass more than 12 at a time? How easy are these masses to control? There must be some way to distract them.

deathnotronic

Well, they're really weak and only have like 25 hp or something. So if you build cannons or have like 2 of any other unit you can kill five or six of them. It's pretty easy to defend if you know what you're doing, basically.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanBut it's a PC game, Neon. You're going to need a new computer to play this one (as will I).

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanNeon... add this one to your GameCube list, if only because it's dirt cheap at GameStop...

i meant this game.... :yabbse-grin:

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
can we have our own video game/pc game forum???????
please?

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanNo.

:splat:

man, we need more geeks here.  once the new systems come out the video gaming industry will be bigger and stronger than ever.  it always does each year.   game developemnt is an under appreciated art form.  soon people will realize this.  games like halo and grand theft auto get national media coverage.
(if cameron crowe has a  forum then there there should be a jump roping one too. :yabbse-wink:).....     for now, i will stop my begging until this time comes :salute:

:yabbse-angry:

deathnotronic

GUYS I JUST GOT MY MOUNT IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

Yeah, it's really really awesome.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: deathnotronicGUYS I JUST GOT MY MOUNT IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

That's really the milestone, isn't it... What kind of mount is it?

My friend is a druid night elf... doesn't have a mount yet, but he's gone through a few pets... a bear, a crocodile, something else...

I'm not sure what I'd want to be. My first choice is probably an undead mage, but everyone I know is on the other side.

deathnotronic

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: deathnotronicGUYS I JUST GOT MY MOUNT IN WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

That's really the milestone, isn't it... What kind of mount is it?

My friend is a druid night elf... doesn't have a mount yet, but he's gone through a few pets... a bear, a crocodile, something else...

I'm not sure what I'd want to be. My first choice is probably an undead mage, but everyone I know is on the other side.

I'm a paladin so I got a free mount. Warhorse, to be exact. It's so sweet. It's the first milestone you achieve, the other one being gaining level 60.

I also have a 20 troll shaman and a 15 undead rogue. Shaman is my favorite but only started a few weeks ago.

MacGuffin

Milius finds 'Honor' in world of vid games

Writer-director John Milius is the latest Hollywood veteran to tackle video games. He already has a long resume of hits, including "Apocalypse Now," "Conan the Barbarian" and "Red Dawn," as well as the upcoming TV series "Rome" and the new film "King Conan: Crown of Iron." But Milius has gone interactive as well, applying his talents to Electronic Arts' "Medal of Honor: European Assault."

"My involvement as a writer was more of a plot and direction style, but I wrote a little dialogue now and then, when they asked me to," Milus says. "It seemed like a natural fit for me, because I am a big military history buff."

EA's "Medal of Honor" franchise, which began as an idea by Steven Spielberg, has sold more than 25 million units worldwide since its debut in 1999. The latest WWII first-person shooter title in the series, "European Assault," ships June 6 for Xbox, PlayStation 2 and GameCube.

Milius says the interactive nature of games doesn't directly impact the writing of the story. "It's not the storytelling that differs between video games and films, it's what you do with that experience," he says.

Milius says that in a film, you watch it once and you have an emotional reaction or connection to it. In a video game, however, you experience it over and over again, as many times as you want to play through it. In essence, you can have a million different reactions to one sequence of events.

"With video games there is an opportunity to introduce story elements in the middle of the action," he said. "Even though you are playing a game, and running around shooting people, the story still sets the stage for the experience."

While at first it was a wave of Hollywood actors that migrated to video games, more directors and writers have entered the game business led by such names as John Woo, John McTiernan, Bryan Singer and Andrew Davis. Milius says there was a time, not very long ago, when movies were not taken all that seriously, either.

"Video games will absolutely lead to something -- who knows if they'll even be like video games are today, or whether they'll lead to something else entirely," Milius says. "I think video games are going somewhere, somewhere that no one can say exactly -- but as a medium they will be bigger than anyone thought movies could ever be."

Milius says there are still things that Hollywood can do in movies that can't be done in games, but at the same time there are effects and experiences that games offer that are impossible to capture in films. He enjoyed his work on "European Assault" enough to come back for more, he says, adding that he already is working on another EA game that he can't yet discuss.

It's clear that Milius is in interactivity for the long term. Speaking of the future, he says some of the films that he directed -- including "Red Dawn" and "Conan the Barbarian" -- would be great material for video games.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Raikus

I don't know why they're continuing the 'Medal of Honor' series. I guess because EA is the Microsoft of video game companies and can pour endless funds into it. 'Call of Duty' far outstrips any game quality of MoH. 'Pacific Assault' was the nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned. They showed they weren't going to upgrade the gaming experience and it was extremely buggy.

Just bidding my time to CoD 2.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

SHAFTR

Currently playing:

a) Jade Empire:  very good RPG from the same company that did KOTOR.

b) Halo 2 Version 1.1:  The new update, released monday, adjusts some of the game's glitches and balances the weapons out even more.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

UncleJoey

Quote from: MacGuffinIt's clear that Milius is in interactivity for the long term. Speaking of the future, he says some of the films that he directed -- including "Red Dawn" and "Conan the Barbarian" -- would be great material for video games.[/size]

A Red Dawn videogame is exactly what this world needs.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Raikus

I'll be attending a Red Dawn paintball game next month. Does that count?

And speaking of unusual move-to-videogame adaptations... check out the new issue of Game Informer for screenshots of "The Warriors" being developed by Rockstar Games.

"Come out and plllaaayyy."
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

At this point, I can comfortably say that Halo 2 is my favorite game of all time.  I know some people on here feel it is over-rated, but I assure you that it isn't.  The game, on the surface, looks like just a top tier FPS, nothing more.  To a certain extent I would agree, atleast with regards to single player.  Personally, I find very little value in single player at this stage in video gaming.  When it comes to Halo 2 on Xbox Live, I find it to be one of the funnest activities you can have playing a game.

I was a huge fan of Halo and very excited about Halo 2.  I got the game at midnight when it came out and played it quite a bit for the first month.  After this amount of time, I kind of came to a similiar conclusion that some of you have (just a good FPS, nothing else).  Recently, in the past 3-4 months, I've started playing Halo 2 much more on Xbox Live.  Once you truly immerse yourself into the multiplayer, Halo 2 really starts to come alive.  The excellent weapon balance and flawless level design really makes the game stand out.  Couple this with Team Play and every game takes on an entirely new strategy.  It is important to be "good" at the game, but it is learning how to play each level and what approaches to take with your team that makes the game shine.

I normally end every night with an hour or two of Halo 2.  I know this classifies me pretty high on the Dork Hierarchy, but I could care less.  Now Bungie has released some new maps and an autoupdate that improves weapon balance even more.  If you have never played Halo 2 online, you are missing out on what that game truly excells on.  If you have Halo 2, I strongly urge you to get Xbox Live, or atleast try it out free for 2 months.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"