The Simpsons-The Movie

Started by i/o, May 05, 2003, 12:56:33 AM

BrainSushi

Quote from: DanTMcGovern
Quote from: BrainSushiJohn Goodman...? That's so obvious. Homer should be played by Gary Oldman.

That would be so in line with teh randomness the show has taken on lately.  A live action movie where teh actors are just completely wrong for the part might work.  I'm thinking Haley Joel Osment as Bart.

Well, those words come straight from the mouth of Homer Simpson hisself, and if he says it should be Gary Oldman, I gotta take his word for it. Nobody knows Homer better than himself.

MacGuffin

Just announced from Fox Home Entertainment: On September 2nd comes The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, which includes a bonus montage of "Kang and Kodo's finest moments." Retail is $14.95
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinJust announced from Fox Home Entertainment: On September 2nd comes The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, which includes a bonus montage of "Kang and Kodo's finest moments." Retail is $14.95

I wonder if those episodes will be included as they release the seasons, though...?? I guess they will be, if they're "complete" seasons. The price is right on this, but it seems sort of unnecessary. I'd rather they released an additional season of the series, including that season's treehouse, then just a compilation.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

jokerspath

Ya, putting out that Treehouse of Horror DVD is kinda bullshit.  All those episodes will be on the Season DVDs sooner or later anyway (well later, years later).  

Also, The Simpsons movie won't come out till the series is over, if ever.  And it will be the same animation, not CGI or live action.  

And it will be funny, and at the end we'll all come out with wet sleeves from wiping our goddamned eyes and knowing we will not see any new Simpsons episodes ever again...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

The Anvil

I don't even think Matt Groening (damn, I had to look that up to get it right...) would even be allowed to make a Simpsons movie.  I'm pretty sure he doesn't even own it anymore.  So basically, Fox would have to make it, and if they wanted to make it right, they would have to sign Groening to the project...  Who probobly wouldn't do it because it was taken away from him in the first place.  But really, I have no idea.

The only person that would really fit the simpsons live action movie character would be William H Macy as Flanders.
"We're all one thing, Lieutenant. That's what I've come to realize. Like cells in a body. 'Cept we can't see the body. The way fish can't see the ocean. And so we envy each other. Hurt each other. Hate each other. How silly is that? A heart cell hating a lung cell"

Banky

MacGuffin

Producer Mike Reiss talks "Simpsons" DVD and Movie!

DVDFanatic.com was able to chat with one of the producers and veteran writers of “The Simpsons,” Mike Reiss, and he gave us a scoop on the next “Simpsons” DVD and confirmed rumors about “The Simpsons” movie. We even have a speculated release date! Read below for some great news on one of the best shows on the networks and be sure to check out Part 2 tomorrow where we talk about the recently released "The Critic" DVD, which has been selling extremely well.

DVDFanatic.com (Tom Chau): Are you currently working on the next season’s “Simpsons” DVD?

Mike Reiss: Yes I am. In fact, it’s funny, I’m going in, in a couple hours to do more commentary and Jon Lovitz will be there. We could not get Jon Lovitz, he just wasn’t available to do “The Critic” commentary and he’s in town so he’ll be doing some “Simpsons” commentary on the episodes he appeared in.

Tom: Is there anything new on “The Simpsons” DVD this time around that you can let us in on?

Mike: You know, I own these DVDs, I comment on them but I never watch any of them! I don’t know what bonus material they have but they always seem to deliver. They take these DVDs very seriously so there is certainly a lot of commentary. There is commentary on every episode and we’re getting the cast in more to do commentary so that’s something.

Tom: How involved with “The Simpsons” are you nowadays? Have you started working on "The Simpsons" movie yet?

Mike: My partner, Al Jean is running the show. He’s the boss and I just come in a day a week as a consultant. I come in every Tuesday and just help and put in my two cents. Al and I and five other veteran writers of the show are currently writing “The Simpsons” movie.

Tom: What can you tell us about the movie? We’ve heard that there was supposed to be a "Simpsons" movie for the past several years but you don’t want to just simply put three episodes together, so how are you creating something new that’s not been done before?

Mike: That’s been the biggest challenge. They’ve wanted to do this since season two. It’s been 13 years of wanting to do “The Simpsons” Movie. Finally FOX said, “Let’s just do it!” We never had the greatest idea that was compelling but FOX said, “Maybe if we start paying you, you’ll get inspired.” And sure enough it worked! We’ve got a very good and interesting idea and it’s different from the show. You know, it’s like the “South Park” movie where it’s just a bigger, longer, amplified version of the show. I can’t tell you anything specific about it. My wife doesn’t even know the secret.

Tom: When do you think “The Simpsons” movie will come out?

Mike: I will say two years from this summer. I think it’s going to be Summer 2006 or maybe Christmas 2006. It’s a reality after being just sort of this phantom idea. I think it is really gonna happen.

Tom: How long do you think “The Simpsons” will run for on T.V.?

Mike: I think there’s no end in sight. I have to give credit to Al who went back to the show. I feel he rejuvenated it. It might have gotten a little tired but there’s a lot of fresh blood in the show. We’re writing next year’s episodes already and it looks good. There’s plenty of juice left in it. I think “The Simpsons” conceivably, if they run it right, could run like SNL, where it just runs and runs and runs and keeps refreshing and rejuvenating itself.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Mac always brings happiness to this place :)

I hope this is really true... I would love to see that.. I dont even watch the Simpsons anymore now on TV... I was watching everyday for 10 years but I dont even have time... plus the new stuff is not as good as it was... I would love to see this movie though!

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinAl and I and five other veteran writers of the show are currently writing "The Simpsons" movie.
if i knew the other 5 writers we could deduce a basic plot or at the very least, an idea. Al Jean and Mike Reiss are a fairly solid pair, so it looks promising. the last thing they did together was the Shary Bobbins episode in season 8. but jean's solo contribution since season 12 has been  :yabbse-undecided:

it looks like shoe-ins for the other spots would hav to meet the criteria of being around in the good ole days, and to hav returned/still be interested in the show..
- John Swartzwelder is the obvious choice,. if he's not involved at a major level something is wrong.
- jon vitti, seasoned veteran of classics like Mr Plow, Cape Feare, and  Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily.. recently returned to contribute sum of the most decent episodes of season 14. he could be in.
- sam simon used to collaborate with jean and reiss.
- David X. Cohen.

my wishlist for the others would have to include Greg Daniels & Dan McGrath, who are responsible for 5 of the best high-concept episodes in the show's history (Bart Sells His Soul, Treehouse of Horror V - Time & Punishment, Homer Bad Man, Lisa's Wedding (!!!), etc). but they hav been uninvolved for a long time, so nuts to that idea.  more likely would be..

Ken Keeler, one of the most consistently great writers they've ever had and he could return after having done such a great job on Futurama in such episodes as:
- Godfellas, pure genius, we learn that "when God does something right, u won't be sure he's done anything at all".
- Time Keeps on Slipping, time.. keeps on slipping.  
- The Devils Hands are Idle Playthings, series finale.
and his simps work is among the best of all time
- A Star is Burns, the film festival and Critic crossover episode
- El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, mexican chilli and johnny cash as coyote.
- Two Bad Neighbours, george bush sr. moves in across the road.

anyway, along with Jim Reardon to direct, if these ppl came together the movie could not fail.. expect zany new characters, and pray for a return to form. yep i've thought about this before. and i'm excited.
under the paving stones.

puddnanners

i couldn't be happier that Riess and Jean are going to head up this operation.  along with James L. Brooks, they pretty much created what we know as the simpsons (of course you all knew that already).  Personally, Riess is one of, if not my favorite show business person.  He came to my school a few years back to speak, and it was the funniest and informative 120 minutes (yes, 2 hours!) that i have ever witnessed live.  ANd then after he finished his speech, he volunteered to answer questions for as long as we asked them, and then he signed whatever we wanted (his sig on my Simpsons episode guide is one of my prized jewels).  He actually was told to leave by the people who ran the auditorium where he was at because they had to shut down for the night.  Also, it seems that him and Al Jean really poured themselves into the episodes that they co-ran, as is evident my the audio commentaries for the first couple of seasons.  Whereas Groening comes off as either uninterested or he focuses on the really unimportant detail (how many comments on "pupil size" can one man make?)  Anyway, hooray for Mike Riess and hooray for a Simpsons flick finally confirmed.

ono

I think Mike Reiss is coming to speak in a class of Tom Whedon's, my screenwriting professor.  Tom Whedon is the father of Joss Whedon, who created Buffy, and wrote Alien: Resurrection (not that that's anything to be proud of, but still... (he claims it was because of Jeunet that it sucked)).  Tom has done a lot of television writing in his own right.  Anyway, should I try to attend, and if so, should I ask anything of Reiss?

suggestions:
*what does he thinks about Pixar separating from Disney and the current state of Disney.
*if there are plans of resurrecting The Critic.
*what does he thinks about what happened to Futurama.
context, context, context.

ono

Thanks.  All good questions.  ...who are you?  :-D  (You must've just changed your name, right?)

chuckhimselfo.with a beard.
context, context, context.