Shutter Island

Started by MacGuffin, October 23, 2007, 12:14:30 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Leo needs to quit it with the accents.  Mark looks like Dick Tracy.  Marty is going WAY genre here.  I hope this is not one of those movies with the Fight Club twist.  You know the ones.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

I have a feeling this is a lot better than that trailer suggests. Judging by the trailer it looks like just your average run of the mill suspense film but I trust Marty.

Is it just me or does Leonardo kind of suck now? He used to be the bomb but I feel like he gets by more on reputation than on skill these days. The roles he's picking don't suit him very well. I still can't take him seriously as an adult.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Kal

I also think this will be a lot better than the trailer. I thought the same about Leo before The Aviator but he was amazing, so I think he can pull off anything.

Stefen

He just always looks like he's so angry all the time.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cinemanarchist

Oh, I hope the island isn't entirely in his mind. Looks visually appealing but I too have problems with Leo playing an adult. I've only really been sold on him as a grown-up in Revolutionary Road.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

SiliasRuby

Picky, picky, I trust marty and you guys do to....yall are fucking buzz kills.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gold Trumpet

It looks a lot better than it read on paper. The psychological thriller is much more than an age old genre, it's one of the better founding genres in cinema. Everything from the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari to Woman in the Dunes showed that the genre is one of the breeding grounds for new styles and cinematic touches. I doubt Scorsese will be breaking ground the way those two films did, but this project has more potential than his last 5 films had. I liked the quality of every shot and the variety of style in the trailer. It suggests Scorsese is going to be on his compositional toes with this film. Every project he's attached to these days sounds like a variation of every other "rise and fall biography" film he's ever done so this will at least be something different. It could still suck, but I'm a lot more interested than I was yesterday.

Also, this doesn't look like the Departed. Scorsese isn't going to have to force feed his style into a muddled story that is going every way and has a million different identites. It seems tailor made for a film style the same way Cape Fear was. Scorsese should be at home here.

hedwig

give me Silence or give me death.

©brad

Fernando

I did too, although I feel the trailer as many do these days showed way too much, 5 min. ago I didn't know anything about it and now im already making theories (maybe that was the point  :yabbse-undecided:)

MacGuffin

Quote from: kal on June 10, 2009, 08:35:54 PMI thought the same about Leo before The Aviator but he was amazing, so I think he can pull off anything.

Everything after Howard Hughes's plane crash is when I felt I saw Leo grow up.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

so its like The Shining. okay.

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

©brad

Quote from: Bethie on June 13, 2009, 02:30:51 AM
this is scary :shock:

In like, a good way? Or a what the fuck has Marty been smoking way?