björk

Started by mogwai, March 03, 2007, 03:58:16 PM

wilder

Bjork's "Black Lake" retrospective will be at MoMA March 8–June 7, 2015

The Museum of Modern Art presents a retrospective of the multifaceted work of composer, musician, and singer Björk. The exhibition draws from more than 20 years of the artist's daring and innovative projects and her eight full-length albums to chronicle her career through sound, film, visuals, instruments, objects, and costumes. In the Museum lobby, instruments used on Biophilia (2011)—a gameleste, pipe organ, gravity harp, and Tesla coil—play songs from the album at different points throughout the day. On the second floor, in the Marron Atrium, two spaces have been constructed: one is dedicated to a new sound and video installation, commissioned by The Museum of Modern Art, for "Black Lake," a song from Björk's new album Vulnicura (2015); and the second is a cinema room that screens a retrospective in music videos, from Debut (1993) to Biophilia. On the third floor, Songlines presents an interactive, location-based audio experience through Björk's albums, with a biographical narrative that is both personal and poetic, written by the acclaimed Icelandic writer Sjón, along with many visuals, objects, and costumes, including the robots designed by Chris Cunningham for the "All Is Full of Love" music video, Marjan Pejowski's Swan Dress (2001), and Iris van Herpen's Biophilia tour dress (2013), among many others.

Entry to the Björk exhibition is included with general Museum admission. Timed tickets are required for the Songlines portion of the exhibition, and are available same-day and on-site only, at no additional charge, on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning at 10:30 a.m. daily.

Jeremy Blackman

Interesting. Did Matthew Barney make that trailer?

wilder

Don't know. They split so...I doubt it?

Jeremy Blackman

They split? Why wasn't this thread updated?!?

Lottery

Her new album is almost entirely about the breakup.

EDIT:

More on the album- It's weird because I don't think any of the songs are actually bad but it feels like she's retreading old ground at times and it isn't as memorable as it should be (I explained briefly how it was different to her previous works earlier). Even though her last two albums were not as well-recieved as this one, they were still rather different/odd. The Haxan Cloak mixed every track on the album but I think if he had a greater hand in the production, the album would have been more sonically interesting. His Excavation album was freaky and dark. His soundscapes, Bjork's vocals/vision/strings and Arca's odd weird bits. It would move her further away from pop though.

There's stuff happening all over this album but there's still a sparseness to it that I don't entirely dig. Still, not a bad album. Quicksand is still the best track.