Stereotypes of a Film Snob

Started by Duck Sauce, March 25, 2003, 01:41:54 AM

Gold Trumpet

Instead of trying to define or argue what a film snob is, I say fuck it, I'm a film snob.

~rougerum

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

That's probably hilarious from a particular point of view, but it seems soo boring.  I bet these types of people are really boring to talk with about cinema.

I recall a time I understood the power of cinema.  I was about 19 and a girl (Rachel) outside a bar told me when she was in 8th grade she was obsessed with Hitchcock's Rebecca, and she was pretty crazy about movies but that film struck her in a certain way.  Essentially she was still chasing after movies that made her feel that way, and it had nothing to do with this 'evolutionary' model of film geekdom because it was personal.

So I don't think increasing complexity or diversity of taste comprises the essential core of a movie geek like this graph represents.  I think it's when you see a movie that strikes raw nerves it happens, and you become open to cinema in an exciting new way.  That movie can be any movie and it can lead you to whatever movies; it's completely independent of taste 'growth' or whatever.

I raised myself, cinematically speaking, on an unhealthy diet of late-night HBO movies.  Where am I on this graph?
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

pete

I think the sundace phase and the oscar phase occur parallel to each other, but not one after another. if you're younger then you do the trainspotting thing; older ones (or older souls) do the oscar thing, but they're kinda at odds with each other, especially with the way acclaimed films have been divorced from the more edgy ones.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reel

I remember the beginnings of my snobbery was when I bought Leonard Maltin's Movie guide. I must've been about twelve. It was like whatever Maltin said was etched in stone, if he gave it four stars, I must see it someday! The more oscar wins the better. I prided myself on watching things my friends or even my parents might overlook, because it was accepted as 'special' by the academy. I really think that seeing Magnolia was the turning point for me getting into artsier films. After that I wanted to seek out films that made me sad. I saw Requiem for a Dream and it made me too sad. I was addicted to it, that existential longing. Now I just fucking hate those types of films, they make me sick. When I see a movie I want to be enthralled, grossed out, entertained, I feel like I'm back to square one again.

Pas

The list is spot on for me too. After I saw Mully I became open to watching all the new different films. Very soon after that I was in the process of watching all the ''Best film'' oscarized stuff. Then the classics and foreign oddities.

But the most astounding observation of that list is the Hipsterata. After that phase where I believed I had 'mastered' the classics, I really went to Troma and Z-actioners.

I'm done with it now and I'm a proud celluloid sapien. I watch all kinds of movies for different reasons. I live for good mysteries and whodunits, I watch movies from any era without prejudice positive or negative, I have my classics in all the genres that exists (or almost).

Cinema is pretty neat. Litterature is better but too tiring.

Stefen

I'm past that list. I'm to the point where I don't even watch movies anymore. I just read what others have said about them and form my opinion from that.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

Quote from: Pas on May 13, 2011, 10:20:28 AM
After I saw Mully I became open to watching all the new different films.

still gotta see boogie nights tho. an hour in? r u fucking crazy?

Pas

Quote from: Reelist on May 13, 2011, 11:07:12 PM
Quote from: Pas on May 13, 2011, 10:20:28 AM
After I saw Mully I became open to watching all the new different films.

still gotta see boogie nights tho. an hour in? r u fucking crazy?

haha yeah i don't think i will though. At least not in the foreseable future. It doesn't interest me at all

Reel

squints

Remember when GT used to sign all of his posts "~rougerum"?

In my head, i always read it as "roger, um?"
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

yeah wtf is that sposed to mean?

Jeremy Blackman

It's REDRUM.

Except red = rouge.

I think it was his past username somewhere else, and he was used to it.

Reel

oh. cool, cool. I always read it as Rou-gerum. Sounded pretty stupid.