What DVDs should Criterion put out?

Started by CollinBullock, March 18, 2003, 03:02:15 PM

Pubrick

And as things fell apart
Silias didn't pay much attention
under the paving stones.

JG

The Ice Storm.  I would love to see that movie get the criterion treatment.   

Criterion experts, is there any chance that it might happen?

ono

I'm no expert, but I don't see why it would happen when there's a perfectly sufficient DVD out now, which, fortunately, is priced for bargain bins.  The extras on the DVD are plenty sufficient.  What else could you want?

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

JG

i just think they could make it look a lot better.  that's all. 

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 02, 2004, 10:55:00 PM
I Am Cuba
Is there any information on this title coming to Criterion GT, or not?

How about RED ZONE CUBA for Criterion?  :yabbse-wink:

Gold Trumpet

There is a chance on I Am Cuba. It gets knocked around here and there as a future release and considering no company seems to be looking to give a special edition to the current dvd, I think it has a fine chance to get into Criterion. Its just a matter of when.

Ravi

Do you think I Am Cuba being an Image title could help its chances of being licensed to Criterion or does Image also license their titles from the rightsholders?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ravi on November 15, 2005, 09:24:49 PM
Do you think I Am Cuba being an Image title could help its chances of being licensed to Criterion or does Image also license their titles from the rightsholders?

Image owns Criterion. The question is whether Image still owns I Am Cuba. They likely do, but no word lately on this title being in the pipeline for a future Criterion release.

Criterion has to be the greatest and most depressing job. Greatest for the work on films you do, depressing for the films you can't do work on.

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 15, 2005, 09:29:45 PM
Criterion has to be the greatest and most depressing job. Greatest for the work on films you do, depressing for the films you can't do work on.

There must have been many titles they worked hard to get the rights to, only to have the deal kiboshed at the last minute.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ravi on November 16, 2005, 12:05:46 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 15, 2005, 09:29:45 PM

There must have been many titles they worked hard to get the rights to, only to have the deal kiboshed at the last minute.

Oh god... Husbands and Wives, The Game, Eraserhead, a Mark Romanek Collection and now, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. Just imagine how much longer the list is to those who work there.

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 16, 2005, 12:25:41 AM
Husbands and Wives

I assume this was in the LD days, since Woody Allen does not like extras for his DVDs.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Ravi on November 16, 2005, 12:37:22 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on November 16, 2005, 12:25:41 AM
Husbands and Wives

I assume this was in the LD days, since Woody Allen does not like extras for his DVDs.

Someone who posts at the Criterion forum and use to work there says they kept a file on this film for the first few years after the transition to DVD.