Silence

Started by Gold Trumpet, November 14, 2005, 10:48:45 AM

wilder

Adam Driver Joins Martin Scorsese's 'Silence'
via The Playlist

While officially it's not quite 100%, it's widely expected that Scorsese will shoot his long, long-developing dream project "Silence" this year, and Driver has joined the cast. An adaptation of Shusaku Endo's novel, the story will follow two 17th-century Jesuit priests who face violence and persecution when they travel to Japan to locate their mentor and to spread the gospel of Christianity. Driver will join a cast that includes Andrew Garfield, Ken Watanabe and Issei Ogata with a July shoot previously reported.

MacGuffin

Liam Neeson To Star In Martin Scorsese's 'Silence'
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Liam Neeson will star with Andrew Garfield and Ken Watanabe in Silence, the Martin Scorsese-directed adaptation of Shusaku Endo's novel about 17th century Jesuits who to try bring Christianity to isolated Japan. The film is being financed by Emmett/Furla/Oasis, Corsan and A1. Emmett/Furla/Oasis just funded Lone Survivor. The script is by Jay Cocks and Scorsese and production will begin in Taiwan later this year.

Neeson is scheduled to reprise in Taken 3, but while Neeson has remade himself as an action star, Silence brings him back to the kind of work he did in Schindler's List and in the Scorsese-directed Gangs Of New York. The film is produced by Irwin Winkler, Randall Emmett and George Furla, Emma Tillinger Koskoff, Checchi Gori, Barbara DeFina and Paul Breuls, with Niels Juul exec producing. Neeson, who next stars in the action film Non-Stop, voices a role in The Lego Movie, and stars in the Seth MacFarlane-directed A Million Ways To Die In The West and A Walk Among The Tombstones,  is repped by CAA.

This should be something, given that Scorsese has dreamed of making the picture for two decades. His The Wolf Of Wall Street is up for five Oscar nominations, including Best Picture and Best Director.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

every time I watch Gangs I wish Neeson would have more scenes. There's something about the possibility of seeing a collaboration between these two that's really exciting.

Mel

Quote from: Alexandro on January 31, 2014, 03:06:47 PM
every time I watch Gangs I wish Neeson would have more scenes. There's something about the possibility of seeing a collaboration between these two that's really exciting.

That reminded me of one thing. Looks like DDL and Liam exchanged their roles: "Lincoln" for "Silence".
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

wilder

Martin Scorsese's 'Silence' Planned For 2015 Awards Season Release
via The Playlist

Martin Scorsese's forever brewing dream project "Silence" is finally going to shoot this year, and Paramount are in talks to pick up the U.S. rights for the drama, with plans for a November 2015 release date. Based on the book by Shusaku Endo, the story will follow two 17th-century Jesuit priests who face violence and persecution when they travel to Japan to locate their mentor and to spread the gospel of Christianity. Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield, Ken Watanabe and Adam Driver are all lined up for roles, and production was at one time supposed to begin this month, though it's not clear if that's still the plan.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Martin Scorsese's long-gestating Silence is finally a go
via The AV Club

After nearly 20 years of false starts, Deadline reports that a Martin Scorsese passion project has finally secured its funding. Silence, based on the Shusaku Endo novel about Jesuit missionaries facing persecution in 17th-century Japan, will begin production in Taiwan on January 30. Fábrica de Cine and SharpSword Films have now committed to financing the movie, which is being targeted for a 2016 release by Paramount Pictures. In a statement, Scorsese said, "I've wanted to make Silence for almost two decades, and it is finally a reality."

The last time it took this long for Scorsese to get a project together was Gangs Of New York, which the director tried to make with The Clash in the late '70s and finally made it to the screen in 2002 with Daniel Day-Lewis and Scorsese's then-newfound muse Leonardo DiCaprio. Amazingly, DiCaprio won't appear in Silence, and will be presumably sitting on a jet ski in Ibiza with a model while filming is under way. After going through a Gangs Of New York-style set of permutations over the years, the cast of Silence now includes Liam Neeson, Andrew Garfield, Adam Driver, and Ichi The Killer and Thor actor Tadanobu Asano, replacing Ken Watanabe as, we hope, a guy who keeps shushing everyone.

Fuzzy Dunlop

One dead, two injured in accident on set of Martin Scorsese's Silence
via The AV Club

As reported by CNN, a building has collapsed on the set of Martin Scorsese's Silence, killing one construction worker and injuring two others. The movie—which is about two priests teaching Japanese people about Christianity in the 17th century—is currently being filmed in Taiwan, and the workers were all apparently repairing a structure of some sort that someone involved in the filming worried was unsafe.

This incident comes almost a year after 27-year-old camera assistant Sarah Jones was killed on the set of Midnight Rider, which set off a series of lawsuits and calls for change in how movies are filmed. According to CNN's report, the Taiwanese police are currently determining if any laws were broken, though nobody involved in Silence has been charged with anything yet. The film's publicist, Leslee Dart, put out a statement saying, "Everyone is in shock and sorrow, and expresses their deepest concern and sympathy to the families of the individual who died and those who were injured."

Pozer

George Lucas: toldja so, Marty. You keep building your damn sets... CGI saves lives.

polkablues

Looks... good?

I'm not sure what accent Andrew Garfield is attempting, but I'm pretty sure he's not nailing it.

EDIT: Wikipedia informs me the character is intended to be Portuguese. He's definitely not nailing it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Just Withnail

In the beginning it kinda sounded half Jamaican.

After all this time, the trailer seems a little anti-climatic, though I'm sure it'll be an incredible experience once the imagery gets to breathe more in the film itself. Some of those images, like the crucified people against the waves, looked really intense.

polkablues

Adam Driver's accent might even be worse. We just don't get to hear enough of it to confirm. As good as I assume the movie itself will be, that's going to make it a tough watch for me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

It's spot-on compared to Ewan McGregor's French accent in Beauty and the Beast.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilder

rjonreview19

In 1990, Martin Scorsese has a passionate idea of an American adaptation of the Shūsaku Endō's novel, of the same name. For the past 30 years, this film has been through numerous feats of development hell from casting changes to lawsuits. Thankfully after directing one of my favorite films, Hugo, he dove right back into working on his third and arguably the most powerful faith-based film to date.

http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//silence-review

wilder