The Departed (Infernal Affairs remake)

Started by MacGuffin, February 13, 2004, 02:09:12 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02i have to ask, is your sig Bull Burham on purpose?

What do you mean? Can I even answer it got there accidentally?

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

pete

Quote from: gabrielJohn Woo definitely comes to mind. On paper, this sounds like material for a more oriented action director like him than Marty. A more believable Asian-project for Marty that was announced in the late 90's was an adaptation of Robert Whiting's book "Tokyo Underworld", about a real life US Marine turned into a gangster in mid-century Tokyo, which apparently was being penned by Nicholas Pileggi no less. Not a lot of news since then though. Recent bits mentioned Dreamworks optioning the book, with producers Harry & Mary Jane Ufland attached and Jason Cahill, from the "Sopranos", being drafted to join Pileggi in the adaptation.

well the movie infernal affairs itself doesn't have too much of action, it was definitely not an action movie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Infernal Affairs: China's Sunday Morning Post hints that Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Ed Norton and Robert Downey Jr. are all being mentioned for Scorsese's US remake of the Asian film hit.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

I know that Brad Pitt is already on board (fact)... Dont know who will co-star though

MacGuffin

DiCaprio May Reteam with Scorsese for Affairs
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Leonardo DiCaprio might reteam with Martin Scorsese, his director on Gangs of New York and the upcoming release The Aviator. The Hollywood Reporter says DiCaprio is in talks to star in Infernal Affairs for Warner Bros. Pictures.

Based on a trilogy of Chinese-language gangster movies, the project is set in the midst of an intractable battle between the Hong Kong police and the triads that rule the area. The original follows a cop who's been assigned to work undercover inside the gangs and who's risen to a fairly senior level. Simultaneously, a secret member of the same powerful criminal gang has infiltrated the police force with an equal measure of luck and success.

"Infernal" is being produced by Scorsese as well as Brad Grey, Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt's Plan B production company. Pitt most likely will star in the picture as well. William Monahan has written the script for the film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

is it still going to be set in Hong Kong?  do i smell another Black Rain coming?

on a side note: at what point did michael douglas become kirk douglas?!? he looked like SHIT at the oscars.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Arnzilla

Quote from: themodernage02is it still going to be set in Hong Kong?
According to today's Variety...
Quote"Infernal" will be reset in Boston, amid tough Irish-American mobsters and cops who are their constant nemeses.

Kal

Quote from: themodernage02

on a side note: at what point did michael douglas become kirk douglas?!? he looked like SHIT at the oscars.

LOL I THOUGHT THE SAME THING!!!!!!!

Fernando

Inside word on Infernal Affairs remake
Posted on Thr, 4-Mar-2004

According to insider 'Aero', Leonardo Di Caprio has near officially signed for the "Infernal Affairs" remake.

"Leo's going to be playing the undercover cop who wins a pass in the gang. He's just waiting on the revamped script – but seems happy. Pitt's signed to play the gang member who infiltrates the cops – great fit for both", he says. "It'll be a two-hander".

"They're transporting the action to Boston, and in essence, combining elements of all three Infernal Affairs movies. If this one's successful, then of course there will be a sequel, but as it stands, it's just going to be written as a stand-alone movie. Bill Monahan who did Jurassic Park 4, is the scribe. He's juggling both jobs at the moment".

In addition, we're informed that a new script called "Kumite" has sold nicely, with Jean Claude Van Damme circling the production. It's apparently reminiscent of some of JC's earlier material, like "Bloodsport".

SoNowThen

So Marty's doing a movie with a script by a guy who wrote Jurassic Park 4? Am I having a nightmare???! WTF
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Joe Pesci: What do you want to tell me now, tough guy? I said, "Hey, what are you doing here, I thought I told you to go fuck your mother!"
I thought he was gonna shit!
*Stegosaurus roars*
Whaddaya mean I'm funny?...Funny how? I mean, funny like a clown? I amuse you?
*Stegosaurus roars*
But, I'm funny how? Funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I'm here to fuckin' amuse you?
*Stegosaurus roars*
How am I funny, like a clown? What is so funny about me? What the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me! Tell me what's funny!
*Stegosaurus eats Joe Pesci*

SoNowThen

Beautiful but scary at the same time.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I'd be a lot more interested in this if they kept it in Asia; it'd be interesting to see Scorsese take on crime in another culture.

modage

Quote from: GhostboyI'd be a lot more interested in this if they kept it in Asia; it'd be interesting to see Scorsese take on crime in another culture.
whattya mean?  compared to NY, boston IS another culture!
i just hope pitt and dicaprio (the new deniro i guess) dont get out their best mystic river accents for this...