Things in movies that scared you as a kid.

Started by Stefen, January 16, 2004, 12:42:23 AM

Sleuth

Quote from: Chest Rockwell
Quote from: Sloyj
Quote from: Chest RockwellThe dradog was so pleasant a character, though. I don't understand how anyone could be afraid of that gentle beast.

He was a delight.  Dragons look like dogs (Spirited Away) and that's what makes them cool.

Well I don't know about dragons looking like dogs in general, but this is a furry dragon that likes to be patted on the head (right?).

I think he liked people stabbing his scales
I like to hug dogs

Henry Hill

Quote from: SleeplessAnyone remember 'The Boy Who Could Fly'?

I know it's not supposed to be a scary film, but it fucked me up good and proper.

I can remember Fred Savage burying his G.I. Joe's in the backyard. That was a sad moment. The scary part of the movie was Jay Underwood actually flying.

artfag

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: NEON MERCURY...the bug in the ear in that star trek movie......
number 2 i think......

Holy shit!  I saw that when I was maybe 6 and since then, I've slept with the covers over my head at night.

And there was also...

Thrindle

I was scared of this man from age 6 to about 11.  Subject of many nightmares.
Classic.

bonanzataz

i was afraid of movie previews. i couldn't watch them. my dad would have to stay in the theater and watch the previews while my mom would stay in the lobby until he came out and told us they were over. it was really only when something in the theater was intense, b/c it was just so darn loud! i cried during bambi. not when the mother got killed, but when it was raining, right before they sang "drip drop," because it was too scary.

scary things, scary things...

the first 5 minutes of batman returns i started freaking out and we had to leave.

i have two traumatic freddy krueger experiences that i remember to this day. once, the remote control was broken while my mom and sister were watching something stupid, so they asked me to go to the cable box and change it (which, looking back, is kind of funny, b/c my sister was the oldest, why the fuck wasn't she changing it?). we had a scrambler and were getting free pay per view at the time and i remember that freddy's dead: the final nightmare was playing on the pay station. i wanted to flip quickly past the pay channels, but something just stopped me and there it was on freddy's dead, where lisa zane is walking through the dream hallway. i knew freddy was going to pop out any second, so instead of changing the channel, i ran out of the room screaming and crying. the second experience was when wes craven's new nightmare was coming out and i was sitting with my friend in the tv room and a preview comes on tv. at this point, i was about 9 years old, but as soon as they showed that preview, once again, i freaked out and ran upstairs, refusing to go back down. i made my friend turn off the tv before i came back downstairs. in between the time the movie was in theaters and on video, however, i conquered my fear and rented the first one at my friend's house. he couldn't handle it after 10 minutes, so i watched the rest with his mom.

meeeemmmoriees....
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Weird. Oh

Yeah when I was a little kid, I used to get really freaked out by one particular scene in Willy Wonka. This particlular scene involved Wilder on the boat in the factory and it feels like your on a trip. He's saying weird stuff while these freaky colors are going on it. I don't know if this scared me because of the stamps I was licking or what. Who knows.
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

rustinglass

I remember when I was 6 or 7, that I would run out of the house in that claustrophobic garbage scene in star wars. I only found out how they escaped when the special edition came out.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Reel

Pleasure Island in Pinnochio, when the kids are smoking and turning into donkeys it freaked me the fuck out.

In Problem Child 2 when the girl speeds up the ride and everyone starts throwing up all over eachother.

Nothing 'horror' ever scared me then, I started watching Friday the 13th and Nightmare movies at like 5.

polkablues

The from Twilight Zone: The Movie.  I used to have nightmares that I was lost in a maze made of chain-link fences and this thing was chasing me.

Also, it wasn't scary so much as haunting, but Flight of the Navigator, when the kid comes home and discovers that eight years have passed without him.  For some reason, that stuck with me for a long time.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Speaking of Twilight Zone: The Movie, I still can't watch that scene with John Lithgow on the plane and the little alien creature wreaking havoc on the wing.

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

Speaking of Bunnies, in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey was probably the creepiest thing I ever saw as a kid. It ruined Easter for me.

Quote from: polkablues on September 13, 2011, 05:10:17 PM
Flight of the Navigator, when the kid comes home and discovers that eight years have passed without him.  For some reason, that stuck with me for a long time.

I found that kind of liberating. A kid on his own with no parents for 8 years? Sign me up! I guess what kinda made me anxious was how would he control that ship the whole time, that's a daunting task for a kid.

O.

I was watching Signs without expecting much of anything, but still following the story enough to process any scare if and when it happened. I wasn't very, very young but still a kid at the time. Just semi-casually watching, and then this motherfucker showed up:

Fuck this guy. For one reason or another, I couldn't sleep without major anxiety, expecting a stupid ass alien to run across my door and scare the shit out of me. Wasn't about to close the door either and get abducted by some stupid ass bald-ass green alien. Fuck that.
superb

©brad

This little irish fuck scared my skinny white ass so much I almost quit movies.

theyarelegion

1:16...that crouching run still makes me a little uneasy!