you know what he should do? (Spielberg)

Started by Alethia, November 16, 2003, 10:22:19 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: Cinephile
Quote from: StefenSpielberg isn't a filmmaker anymore IMO. He's a business man in the business of making movies.
so what did he do for Minority Report? You didn't find that to be top-notch filmmaking?

I liked Minority Report alot for what it was. A good summer movie. Marketed hugely and expected to make a huge profit. Doesn't mean its a bad movie. What I meant is Spielberg will never take chances again, he sees filmmaking as a business now as oppose to an artform. Just my opinion though.

Well, then what was he during his heyday of making Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark and E.T.? I'm not disagreeing with you nor agreeing with you. Speilberg made a great entertainment film with Minority Report, but that has been the staple of his career. Minority is only different in tone. I don't think he is the business man entirely. George Lucas fits that more. I think of him as a quality craftsman to some very light affairs.

Films for the purpose of Schindler's List is rare for him. Films with the success of Schindler's List is even rarer. He is hit and miss at best when trying to go for something.

cine

There must be people around here that agree you with entirely as there is a thread devoted to 'Why Minority Report Sucked'.. I'm just saying that I'm one of the people who find MR to be a great, great picture.

Sleuth

I'm not saying MR was a bad film, but it sorely lacked dinosaurs that sneeze on the main character or maybe he could put his hands in dinosaur shit to make it an instant masterpiece.  Wacky foreign doctors and rotten sandwiches are a poor replacement!
I like to hug dogs

Stefen

I dont think Minority Report sucked. I liked it alot. I just think Spielberg looks into how much money a project of his is going to make right after he thinks what would be a good movie.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SHAFTR

Quote from: StefenI dont think Minority Report sucked. I liked it alot. I just think Spielberg looks into how much money a project of his is going to make right after he thinks what would be a good movie.

I think Spielberg is a storyteller first.  I don't think he is looking for a big blockbuster, but rather a good story to tell.

Often, those two equal the same thing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Stefen

Spielberg is one of my favorites, I just think that as he got older and more succesful "HIS" ideas took a backseat to what the people around him thought the audience wanted to see. He hasent done anything "original" in awhile. A.I Was an adaptation, as was minority report, and catch me if you can wasnt anything he came up with, His next one isnt either from what i hear. He needs more originals like Close Encounters, ET and the like.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: StefenHe hasent done anything "original" in awhile. A.I Was an adaptation, as was minority report, and catch me if you can wasnt anything he came up with, His next one isnt either from what i hear. He needs more originals like Close Encounters, ET and the like.

Ah I got ya. I'd say all the ones you named are pretty similiar in being light material, but yea, the quality of his original work is much better than his latest adaptations. They carry a signature of personality to him, but I still don't believe they are really anything grandstanding for speaking to his personality.

cine

I see where all this is going but really, after Schindler's List, the only direction Spielberg can go is down.... so can you blame the guy?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: CinephileI see where all this is going but really, after Schindler's List, the only direction Spielberg can go is down.... so can you blame the guy?

I think I could blame the guy. His last three movies have been retreads into subjects already done by him only with the hope that they can be more impressive than his early work. Only Minority Report did that by going above Raiders of the Lost Ark. Schindler's List promised a new outlook for him into bringing his talent to some serious subjects. Amistad and Saving Private Ryan were made and only having seen the latter, its a pretty weak film overall.

cine

So you find Schindler's List to be a weak film?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: CinephileSo you find Schindler's List to be a weak film?

C'mon. Read it again.

Stefen

Thats a good point about him not being able to go anywhere but down. AI and moreso Minority Report were very dark in tone which I dug. I still think he should direct a movie about Shaquille O'neal and Vlade Divacs as buddy cops coming together to solve a crime. Charles Barkley could be the sarge.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: StefenThats a good point about him not being able to go anywhere but down. AI and moreso Minority Report were very dark in tone which I dug.

He can still go up by getting serious with the material he is filming. And, really, why do people claim greatness with simple tone change? Its not that important nor really showing of growth at all.

Pubrick

basically what stefen and everyone else is trying to say here, is that Spielberg is Jewish.

which we already knew.
under the paving stones.