exotic instruments

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 03, 2003, 07:34:05 PM

aclockworkjj

a piano....no need to get fancy, with erotica.

TheVoiceOfNick

It's all about the Sitar...

I once did a commercial for one of my radio classes about "Sitar Center" instead of "Guitar Center"... it was just like those over the top GC commercials, but with a nice hindu man talking instead... of course, I was doing the imitation of the nice hindu man... if I find it, i'll post it so everyone can listen...

Jeremy Blackman

I just bought this. I'm excited.  :multi:

mogwai

but it doesn't have any keys!!! :(

SoNowThen

if anybody cares, I talked to that guy who plays the strange instrument on the streetcorners. I asked him what it's called, he says "a chinese violin". Seemed pretty simple for a crazy looking instrument. Oh well, it sounds cool...

EDIT: check it out here  http://www.philmultic.com/home/instruments/erhu.html
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI just bought this. I'm excited.  :multi:

Update please
I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SlogUpdate please

It's in the mail.

Sleuth

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

It's in the mail.

I'm sold
I like to hug dogs

cine

Quote from: Slog
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman

It's in the mail.

I'm sold
:lol:

myadopteddaughter

can't just about every instrument be exotic? haha, bad joke, sorry.

I've always wanted to take up the cello, again. It's not that exotic, but it's just so beautiful when it's done well. I think it's the loveliest sounding instrument, other than the piano.
mmm, mmmm good

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: SlorgUpdate please

The UPS man finally brought it to my door. It was a like a second Christmas.

This is a studio-grade instrument, professional-sounding in every way... mindblowingly dynamic. It's intuitive to play, but you could spend years mastering it, especially with the distance between pitches. It produces robust bass and great high-end sounds.

The infrared hand control opens up so many possibilities. This thing makes sounds no keyboard could ever produce. Think Radiohead, circa "Kinetic" or "The Amazing Sounds of Orgy."

I'm completely satisfied... it's everything I wanted.

Don't expect more than an octave range on the melodic voices. It's not a theremin.

Sitar.
Bagpipe.
That instrument that appears in Futurama.
context, context, context.

Pubrick

Quote from: chuckhimselfoThat instrument that appears in Futurama.
god bless u child, u saw the final episode. or at least Parasites Lost (s.3 ep.4).

that instrument is the Holophonor.

it sorta looks like an bong/english horn.
under the paving stones.

context, context, context.

freakerdude

The doudouk has always amazed me from Peter Gabriel's use of it in some of his work. The Armenian Doudouk was used perfectly in Last Temptation Of Christ, after watching Peter Gabriel's extensive interview on the Criterion DVD. He even mentions how he loves Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's Qualli voice on the soundtrack.

A doudouk and two zournas
MC Pee Pants