True Romance

Started by Chest Rockwell, October 26, 2003, 01:23:45 PM

Chest Rockwell

I decided to make today QT-day, so I bought a couple of the films I hadn't seen, namely Jackie Brown and True Romance. I wasn't sure about the latter, though, because I noticed QT had only written it, so I didn't open it. Is it worth the money, or should I take it back before I open it?

aclockworkjj

I like it...Brad Pitt's in it man!...duh.

No, it's a pretty good flick...it's kinda funny though cause I almost feel like one of the opening scenes is a precusor to Kill Bill.  Complete with Kung Fu and all...

"True Romance" showed me that Gary Oldman can play any movie role conceivable by man.

Cecil

SHAFTR

very worth it
good QT commentary as well.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Chest Rockwell

1976, where did you find that avatar? I keep seeing these ultracool movie clip avatars and so I'd like to see where people get them.

oakmanc234

I just bought this the other day too even though I've seen it like a trillion times. Such a coooooool movie. It dont matter too much that QT didn't direct it, his presence is all over the film from his awesome, awesome screenplay. And yes, Oldman can do ANY role. And he kicks ass in this ("You get smacked infront of my motherfuckin' peeps!"). Brad Pitt is funny as shit. Arquette is adorable as hell. One of Slater's best performances (actually I cant think of anything he's done better). The Hopper/Walkman scene is among the best things ever. Ever. I did think too many characters were brought in as the film progressed but it all ended well. So yeah, awesome flick.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Weak2ndAct

TR is a definite keeper.  The dvd is swell, and oh yeah, it's Tony Scott's best movie.  Q's commentary is great.  It was really sad to hear that he had never really had a g/f when he wrote this, that this is what his 'idealized' romance would be.

Agreed on the Walken/Hopper scene.  I used to leave my old VHS copy cued up to that scene.

Quote from: Chest Rockwell1976, where did you find that avatar? I keep seeing these ultracool movie clip avatars and so I'd like to see where people get them.

I made it myself. Took 40 something still frames (using a program called DVD Capture) and combined them into one .gif file using a program called Gif Builder. This is on a Mac, so I don't know how to do it on a PC (although most of the avatars on this site are homemade so you might want to ask those who have them.)

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: Chest Rockwell1976, where did you find that avatar? I keep seeing these ultracool movie clip avatars and so I'd like to see where people get them.
Or you can just go scour other message boards on the 'net and just steal them :twisted:

brockly

ROFL at 1976's avatar. got the "parental advisory" warning after he blows his brains out. good one!

Keener

True Romance is fantastic. Oldman at his best.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Jeremy Blackman

I saw this last night and was surprised how much I liked it.

Except for all the silly filler profanity, that is. And the absurd overuse of early 90s idioms. So distracting. Thank God Tarantino eventually learned to write better dialogue than this.

What struck me most was actually the deleted scenes. I listened to them with Tony Scott's commentary on. Literally he will begin his commentary of a deleted scene talking about why it was cut and why it made sense to cut it, then he'll watch it for 10 seconds, then he'll completely change his mind and say "actually I really wish I had left this in, it's sort of crucial for the characters and adds so much etc. etc." His excuse was that the movie was getting too long. I'm sorry... you cut 1-2 minutes of what you consider crucial, brilliant, illuminating character footage (and I agree), but you couldn't find anything else to trim? Easy, cut the roller coaster scene... that's at least 3 minutes right there. And why is this DVD labeled "director's cut"? Wasn't this your opportunity? No, instead of doing that, let's add extras in which we have regretful epiphanies about essential moments that we hacked off the movie.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on August 28, 2011, 04:21:36 PM
Thank God Tarantino eventually learned to write better dialogue than this.

Too bad he eventually forgot again.
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

yeah I saw it a few months ago and enjoyed it a lot. every actor seemed to have his moment to shine. that walken-hopper scene is brilliant.