Do you fuck the industry you want to be in?

Started by kotte, October 09, 2003, 08:22:19 AM

kotte

Are you downloading films from the internet?

metroshane

Never.  I also don't download music and try my hardest  not to cop images.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

aclockworkjj

I steal it all.    

Sorry, I had an itch to see Bringing Down the House, but wasn't gonna pay $9 for that shit.  Screw the music industry too, then again, I download mostly live music. I don't think that should be illegal anyways.    

But honestly, if I really support a person I will make investments to show that support.

TheVoiceOfNick

I don't have to steal... I have people who work at video stores that get me 30% off... :).

Raikus

No, I don't, but the new commercials they air in the theaters make me want to.

Explain to me how Mr. Bob Setbuilder looses money from people downloading movies. Movies are bankrolled before production begins. Unless Mr. Bob has a percentage of the box office take, how is it going to hurt him? I get the theory that downloading movies may take away money from the studios and therefore cut the quantity of movies produced and therefore hurt Mr. Bob Setbuilder, but I don't buy into it. I don't think downloading movies will EVER be big enough to put a dent into the industry. And if, by some long shot, it does, it will hurt the bad movies the industry puts out.

If a movie is good, really good, you're going to be compelled to go see it in the theater because of the experience. No computer is ever going to compete with the screen, sound, and feeling of seeing a good movie in a theater, therefore I don't think Mr. Bob Setbuilder will be loosing one red cent from his Skoal lined pockets.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Link

the first time I saw that, I almost died laughing.  It's so cheesy and dumb.

Ghostboy

I really hate it. It sooo takes the audience for granted. The only thing he has to worry about is losing work to Canadian Bob Setbuilders.

I don't pirate anything (ummm...except for a few programs now and then), but those ads sure make me want to.

SoNowThen

Raikus, Link, and Ghostboy -- that is possibly my most enjoyed three posts in a row, in a long time.

Agreed totally.

I'd be willing to bet that dolt gets his Union wage no matter how many movies are downloaded. Not that I agree with downloading, I just think there's gotta be a better way to combat it than this retarded commercial.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I'll bet he got some comfy stipend for making the commercial, too.

TheVoiceOfNick

That guy is a total redneck... he beard is a different color than the rest of his hair, for poop's sake!  He does kinda remind me of Dustin Hoffman a little bit though.

metroshane

I gotta disagree.  I think the commercial hits home for it's target audience...the average joe who isn't as savvy as you fellas.

There is no excuse for pirating anything.  If it's not yours and you take it...it's stealing.  Period.  It doesn't matter how much they would have or wouldn't have made...it's theirs to decide how it's treated.  Anyone who's ever worked in that type of industry (freelance) knows that you usually don't know where your next paycheck is coming from.  They aren't the directors that can afford to make one movie a year....they're working stiffs who have to keep working through out the year to make ends meet.  Pirating an individual movie probably won't hurt his pay for that movie since he's already been paid...but it does bring down the value in the industry.  So if Paramount makes one less movie next year b/c of pirating...well that's 3-500 jobs that won't be given.  That's 6-8 months of work or longer that those people could have had a job.  

And don't forget, just because we may only do it once in a blue moon, there are folks out there pirating every movie and making big bucks off of it.  It's not their's...they are stealing.  Don't forget, that one less movie made next year might have been your big break.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Ghostboy

I don't know, I've talked to a lot of 'working stiffs' who think the ad is a joke. Which it is. If any of the studios actually DO start making less movies, I'll eat my words and grin and bear it, but they won't. I'm against downloading movies simply because I wouldn't want anyone to see an inferior copy of MY film. But while people are making money off pirated copies, I don't think the studios are losing any revenue. What the MPAA should be more worried about is the influx of shitty movies that cost way too much money.

SoNowThen

Yep, I'm in agreeance with GB. The commercial is cheese and shit, and there's gotta be a better way to fight this fight.

Metro, what you forget is that saavy fellas like us give a shit about films, whereas average Joe could give a fuck less if he buys a pirated movie. Fuck these public service commercials, start passing some new rules and hiring some thugs and cracking down on these pirates (?!). Appealing to their sense of deceny and goodwill with Joe Setbuilder ain't gonna change anyone's mind.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

metroshane

QuoteI don't know, I've talked to a lot of 'working stiffs' who think the ad is a joke.

Well it may indeed be a joke if their expectations are that it will stop pirating.  I think that is true, it will not stop pirating.  However, not having food on the table is not a joke, we can agree on that.  And the commercial gets to the heart of the matter whether it's effective or not.

metroshane

QuoteMetro, what you forget is that saavy fellas like us give a shit about films, whereas average Joe could give a fuck less if he buys a pirated movie. Fuck these public service commercials, start passing some new rules and hiring some thugs and cracking down on these pirates (?!). Appealing to their sense of deceny and goodwill with Joe Setbuilder ain't gonna change anyone's mind.

That's probably true.  Joe Public has lost it's sense of decency and goodwill, heck just look at the movies they watch.