Goodfellas

Started by Recce, February 06, 2003, 11:50:57 AM

Gold Trumpet

Title: Goodfellas
Starring: Robert De Niro
Released: 17th August 2004
SRP: $26.99

GoodFellas (Two-Disc Special Edition) - Based on the true-life best seller "Wiseguy" by Nicholas Pileggi Scorsese's movie explores the criminal life like no other and will offer the following features on this two-disc special edition set...
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
English DD2.0 Stereo and DD5.1 Surround
English, French and Spanish subtitles
Audio commentary by Martin Scorsese and Cast/Crew
Bonus commentary by ex-gangster Henry Hill and ex-FBI Agent Edward McDonald
4 new Cast/Crew documentaries:
Getting Made
The Workaday Gangster
The GoodFellas Legacy
Paper Is Cheaper Than Film
Theatrical Trailer

coffeebeetle

Quote from: coffeebeetleIt's a good thing I'm wearing these lazy-lounging around pants, cuz whew did I just make a mess....

Shit, it happened again.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Tictacbk

Quote from: coffeebeetle
Quote from: coffeebeetleIt's a good thing I'm wearing these lazy-lounging around pants, cuz whew did I just make a mess....

Shit, it happened again.

and it just keeps getting funnier...

cine

This is a little annoying to me because coffeebeetle is using the same avatar that Tictacbk used to have.

Tictacbk

lol i'm glad somebody noticed.  I didn't wanna have to be the one to say something.

Ravi

Quote from: Tictacbklol i'm glad somebody noticed.  I didn't wanna have to be the one to say something.

Heh, that reminded me of the Far Side panel in which a guy wearing a fruity hat is entering a saloon and turns to his friend and says, "I can't go in there, that man is wearing the same hat as I am!"

mogwai

apologies if these has been posted in another thread:

Recce

How are the commentaries? Hope they go into detail on the one shot where they walk through the back of the restaurant. I'm gonna go buy it tomorrow.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

coffeebeetle

Quote from: CinephileThis is a little annoying to me because coffeebeetle is using the same avatar that Tictacbk used to have.

Sorry guys.  In no way was it intentional.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

MacGuffin

Quote from: RecceHow are the commentaries?

I'm somewhat disappointed. It was probably due to his being tied up with "The Aviator," but there's a lack of Scorsese in all the extras for the box set. The documentaries have new interviews with all others involved, but use footage of Scorsese at the time for his input. The commentaries sound like they're taken from interviews (some heard on the docs) and pieced together. Plus, they don't run the entire length of the films. But still, what they say is great stuff to listen to.

Quote from: RecceHope they go into detail on the one shot where they walk through the back of the restaurant. I'm gonna go buy it tomorrow.

Dunno what you're looking for specifically, but Scorsese goes more into the why it was done in one take, rather than the technical aspects. Ballhaus talks more about the logictics of the shot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Recce

either way, it sounds prety good to me.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

jasper_window

anyone notice the scratch down the center of the frame during the scene where deniro and sorvino tell liotta he's gotta back home to his wife.  Out of nowhere, this scratch, or hair, runs down the center of the frame.  Pretty odd since this is supposed to be cleaned up.  Real nice transfer otherwise.

MacGuffin

Quote from: jasper_windowanyone notice the scratch down the center of the frame during the scene where deniro and sorvino tell liotta he's gotta back home to his wife.  Out of nowhere, this scratch, or hair, runs down the center of the frame.  Pretty odd since this is supposed to be cleaned up.  Real nice transfer otherwise.

I actually remember that being there when I saw it in theaters when it first came out, but I remember it being green. So there's your clean-up.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Brazoliange

I've been watching this almost 3 times a day the last week, in love with the first 80-90%, but everything after the big bust seems to go downhill for me. the movie seems to have such a shitty, 'down' ending compared to the beautiful childhood section and the epic gangster life. anyone else feel this way?
Long live the New Flesh

MacGuffin

Quote from: Brazoliangeanyone else feel this way?

Henry Hill.

Skeleton FilmWorks