Project Greenlight

Started by MacGuffin, June 21, 2003, 09:22:56 AM

Jessica310

Quote from: RegularKarateI only watched the second half, but that chick that Xixax felt bad for... I was pretty glad she didn't win.

...she was just trying to go for an angle she thought would impress the judges, it was such fake compassion.

Actually, it was real enthusiasm, not any kind of angle.  PGL knew it was my favorite script before I ever got to Sundance -- I had to do extensive coverage on the Top 10 scripts as part of the contest -- but I had no idea how PGL felt about it.  Erica and I had been talking on the phone regularly for a couple of weeks before Sundance, so by the time we got to Utah, we were already buds, and I was very much in a Shaker-Heights frame 'o mind.

But the decision to withdraw from consideration for the other scripts was made only the night before my panel meeting, after a phone call with my parents when I told them how uncomfortable I was with the 24/7 HBO cameras.  They suggested I drop out of the contest, and I said, well, it would only be worth going through with it for that one script.  Until 1 mintue before the directors went in for our interviews, we didn't even know they had cut the 10 down to 4, so it was lucky my lone choice was in that 4, or I would have just withdrawn right then.  

:) Jessica

(sorry to jump into your message boards.  you find weird stuff trolling the internet late at night)

Pozer

Wow, it's cool that you're here. YOU SHOULD'VE GOTTEN THAT MOVIE! I guess the show wouldn't have been as entertaining though right (in terms of drama). It feels as if that's one of the main reasons why they didn't pick you though. everyone I've watched it with thought you were gonna win and then they didn't pick you and focused on your reaction right after the decision was made straight up for the drama. I have to say you played it off very well though.
Wow, I just watched you on t.v. a few days ago, that's funny to me.
I gotta ask you though Jessica, truthfully, do you think those two guys efd up her script? they're horrible huh?

mindfuck

Quote from: Jessica310
(sorry to jump into your message boards.  you find weird stuff trolling the internet late at night)

...you really have no idea how weird.

Probably for the best anyway. The whole selection process seems pretty shady still. For the next one I think they should really choose a screenplay first and then have the writer in on the director choosing.

Sal

Quote from: poserWow, it's cool that you're here. YOU SHOULD'VE GOTTEN THAT MOVIE! I guess the show wouldn't have been as entertaining though right (in terms of drama). It feels as if that's one of the main reasons why they didn't pick you though. everyone I've watched it with thought you were gonna win and then they didn't pick you and focused on your reaction right after the decision was made straight up for the drama. I have to say you played it off very well though.
I gotta ask you though Jessica, truthfully, do you think those two guys efd up her script? they're horrible huh?

I think they just wanted a unique dynamic.  Not that two women isn't drama by itself (lol), but getting two guys as directors and a female writer really fucks things up, as you can see. It seems a lot of the arch rests in the writer not being notified there are changes constantly being made to the script.  For instance (and I've only seen two of the episodes), in the second to last, I believe, she was in the van calling one of the directors to complain about not calling her.  And it was completely set up.  The scene in the van even looked like it was shot on film.  They knew if the director had close ties with the writer and they were always on the same page, there'd be little drama, and thus, smaller ratings.   :roll:

Newtron

Quote from: poserWow, it's cool that you're here. YOU SHOULD'VE GOTTEN THAT MOVIE! I guess the show wouldn't have been as entertaining though right (in terms of drama). It feels as if that's one of the main reasons why they didn't pick you though. everyone I've watched it with thought you were gonna win and then they didn't pick you and focused on your reaction right after the decision was made straight up for the drama. I have to say you played it off very well though.
Haha, you really are a poser.

Hey I'll remind of what I mean in a month when you get over this school girl crush and start acting all cool and detached again. Haha. Transparency rules.

Jessica310

Quote from: poser
The scene in the van even looked like it was shot on film.

Wow, that's so funny.  You're the only other person I know of who noticed that besides me.  After I saw the promo that included that shot, I called Erica and said "I'm going to show off some random film school b-s.  I can tell that van shot was on 35mm.  Aren't I cool for noticing!" (or something lame like that)...  But she said I was wrong and the PGL cameras only shot tape and, in fact, the camera dept for the movie was pretty uppity aboutt the HBO show (as they had every right to be, they had a hard job to do) and would never do anything just to accommodate them, etc...  

So I guess it's just the lighting in that particular shot.  But wow, I had the same gut reaction.   We're both geeks!    :)

jasper_window

Jessica, out of curiosity, has Chris Moore, or any other producer, approached about working on a different film.  Moore made a comment that he thought your short had one of the best shots he's ever seen, and that was a great shot by the way.

Sal

Quote from: poser
The scene in the van even looked like it was shot on film.

Wow, that's so funny.  You're the only other person I know of who noticed that besides me.  After I saw the promo that included that shot, I called Erica and said "I'm going to show off some random film school b-s.  I can tell that van shot was on 35mm.  Aren't I cool for noticing!" (or something lame like that)...  But she said I was wrong and the PGL cameras only shot tape and, in fact, the camera dept for the movie was pretty uppity aboutt the HBO show (as they had every right to be, they had a hard job to do) and would never do anything just to accommodate them, etc...  

So I guess it's just the lighting in that particular shot.  But wow, I had the same gut reaction.   We're both geeks!    :)

Dang it.  I coulda sworn it by my mother, too.

RegularKarate

I've been out and away lately, not watching PGL and not really posting or reading here.

So I missed being embarrassed by having a new board celebrity reply to my dick-post that just happened to be about her.

Don't know if you'll keep checking here, but I'll reply by saying "fair enough"... it's impossible to tell by watching the show what it's really like.

Actually, to be honest, while I thought your whole thing about only wanting to direct "Shaker" was bullshit and just an angle (I don't know the whole story, so I was admittedly jumping to conclusions) I thought it was kind of a good idea.

If you say it wasn't an angle, I'll take your word for it.  Maybe it was your nerves during the interview that made me think you were faking sincerity.

So, have you seen the whole thing yet?  Does it suck?  Is it completely different than you thought it would be?

Should I bother watching the rest of this series?  I keep starting an episode and growing bored...

Pozer

Quote from: Newtron
Haha, you really are a poser.

Hey I'll remind of what I mean in a month when you get over this school girl crush and start acting all cool and detached again. Haha. Transparency rules.

true, true. ummmm, my little brother wrote that post.

Gold Trumpet

I prolly deserved one more, But RK got shit kicked to the gut when words of criticism where met with the actual fucking person responding back. Some of the things that could have been lodged at me with personal remarks against some people is likely a staggering number. I just feel bad for RK, but still think it is insanely funny. I'm not sure who this celeb is, though I know she is of the show somewhat, but I haven't been following the show much. The guys directing seem like idiots (waits for them to appear on the boards now).

poser, that was classic posting. I thought pam anderson spilled onto the board at first with the way you were acting.

~rougerum

Pozer

now, now. we all act a little gay now and then for unexplained reasons. Let's Move On

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jessica310

Nah, no eggs on any faces, peeps.   The only person who's required to think my shit smells like roses is my mother.

I'll respond to a couple of things I've read here, and then I'll leave you guys alone so you can play in peace.

Someone mentioned that the directors had "added lines" to their submissions to make them fit their chosen storylines.  That's false.  We weren't allowed to add or delete anything in the script.  We were allowed to change up to 3 words.  I changed only 1 ("it" to "ice".)

Someone asked about my working with Chris Moore.  No, I haven't talked with him about any projects, but I have thankfully booked other work since my embarrassing performance at Sundance.  I'm directing episodes of NYPD Blue and Judging Amy this fall, and there's a couple of movies I'm attached to packaging talent now.  Thank god I won't have to do any of the work with cameras following me.  I'd explode from the added pressure.

And yes, I've seen the movie and no, it doesn't suck.  But yes, it's nothing like I thought it would be.  

btw... one of you has an image from the movie "Love Liza" in your handle.  Great friggin actor, that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is.  But that movie?  Two hours of waiting for a guy to open his wife's suicide note?  Made me want to commit suicide myself.  

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...

jasper_window

btw... one of you has an image from the movie "Love Liza" in your handle.  Great friggin actor, that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is.  But that movie?  Two hours of waiting for a guy to open his wife's suicide note?  Made me want to commit suicide myself.  

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...

that's me.  i liked the film.  I get into melancholy films that are slow and delibrate, and I agree about PSH, he's one of my favorites.  I've got no problem watching him for 2 hours.  I think the movie was 1 1/2 though.  Congrats and good luck on the jobs.  Good to see people making it happen.