Spike Jonze (and now Megan Ellison)

Started by Teddy, May 23, 2003, 11:20:41 PM

meatwad

spike seems to be following a terry gilliam-type path (my connection being Where The Wild Things Are and Time Bandits, and they both have, at least i think, similar and unique styles)

Newtron

travisbickle1000

i think that when a writer writes about writing, (i.e. adaptation) he is taking an easy way out. of course you should write about what is on your mind, and if writer's block is on your mind, so be it. but not everyone in an audience is a writer, it can be hard to relate to sometimes. but i still love adaptation, especially john laroche "my wife....x-wife....bitch"

is anyone familiar with spikes work in skateboarding? i'm a skater, but i've never seen any of his skate films. i've heard mouse is good, of course

Stefen

I went for being john malkovich. Adaptation is good, very good. But BJM is the better of the two in my opinion.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Chest Rockwell

I had to go with Being John Malkovich, though I had a tough time choosing which one to vote for. I'll probably be booed down, but I think BJM is darker than Adaptation, mainly just because of the shots--how gritty the night shots seemed. They were both incredibly witty and smart films, though. But whoever said it is right: Adaptation probably isn't as accessible as BJM because most of today's audience wont be able to see the inside industry humor. Plus, I think BJM is just so deliciously satirical. mmm...

ComixFan

I love both films to death, but I like Adaptation more. It's just so mind-boggling.

kassius

Quote from: Teddy
Quote from: MacGuffinI turning the thread into a poll. Hope you don't mind.

No, I don't mind at all.  I was actually beginning to wish I had started it as a poll in the first place.

At any rate, my pick is ADAPTATION.  It's darker and in the end it rings more emotionally true than MALKOVICH.

I'm sort of up in the air with them both.  As a story, "Being John..." was better.  But the fact that they did what they did.... to end up with "Adaptation" makes it almost MORE impressive.

A great movie.

Mavis

Malkovich wins by an overwhelming margin.

Weak2ndAct

Malkovich is great, but Adaptation hit me so hard on so many levels.  The way the story effortlessly drifts from different times and places, the acting, the style, the themes... gosh.  It's just the bee's knees.  Not to mention the fact that Cage's portrayal of Kaufman was so creepily similar to my life (I cried during his bungled romance scene when he was invited in).  After the film, my father turned to me and said, 'son, now I get what you have to go through.'

molly

cage should have got the Oscar for Adaptation. He was brilliant. The film is much better than people say.

i found Adaptation very jewish.
context, context, context.

molly

hahaha
why?
i don't understand that jewish/goyish thing

well, i think that it has a very jewish point of view.... the main character is egocentric. in fact, he's so egocentric that he divided his personality in two. and all the other characters are like satellites around him... mmm
context, context, context.

Pubrick

it's just the self-hatred thing. and the baldness maybe.

besides that the whole thing is about flowers, which isn't very jewish.
under the paving stones.