Suspiria

Started by WorldForgot, May 16, 2018, 12:00:24 PM

WorldForgot

From director Luca Guadagnino, based on Argento's classic giallo, via Amazon Studios.

Starring Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson, Chloe Grace Moretz, Mia Goth and Jessica Harper -- with a score by Radiohead's Thom Yorke
In theaters November 2.

At first I was confused why Luca Guadagnino would want to remake an already (~imo) perfect horror, but reactions to the CinemaCon footage have me very excited. It seems that Guadagnino is adding a more visceral sort of body-horror to the ballet academy. I'd post the tweets from CinemaCon journoz, but perhaps it's best we wait on a trailer. And Jessica'z in, so I'm in.

If you'e seen a Bigger Splash or CMBYN, you know he's got a knack for musical sequences. To say he's an aesthete on Argento's level might be a reach, but someday a giallo snob'z gotta learn to adapt.

WorldForgot

First Trailer dropped --

Almost looks like a new elevation of the old tropes, can only really relate it to Cronenberg's Fly remake in my mind right now.... Expecting similar images and concepts but presented in an all new light. Possibly more body horror it seems like? Dig it, Luca is leaning into the Gothic Intrigue.

4 those not spoilerphobic, bandage up:
[img width=850 height=729]
[
/img]

Robyn

wtf, this looks amazing.

wilder

wilder

jenkins

i am looking forward to this about equal to Halloween, and believe they will both be capable of echoing the release of their originals

jenkins

jenkins

WorldForgot

Volk is restorative. And can be swayed into dangerous covenz.

I loved this movie. More Argento than I expected, but not Suspiria, per say.

SPOILERz, possibly
Jung, Lacan, Laura Mulveyz cinematic pleasure essay choreographed into orgiastic assault. Giallo camera moves, Elektra and Oedipus coded as political guilt and so much gore.

Kinetic catharsis, and I can't fuckin wait to see it again. A lot of the RAF and Berlin text went over my head the first time, as well as the Jungian archetypes. You'll either wanna become intimate with this movie or wish it was never summoned.

Yes

More I think about this, the more I like it. It's simmering in my mind, but boy, it's not the easiest watch. Overplotted, Long-winded, dense, shallow, distant. So many mixed emotions. A formal exercise where the formal missteps make it all the more intoxicating

WorldForgot

Letterboxd community is comparing it to mother! and BigSock I think you're on the dial of what makes them both intriguing. Bold, clumsy, and dancing (wobbling?) to their own beat.

SPOILERz

Personally I've come to appreciate the pacing of it, but I do think the A+J storyline could have been structured/handled effectively. I very much wish it worked for me because I love the idea of conjuring Anke and Suzy's guilt trip. For me, the Nation-State guilt allegory works but not so much our plotting with Josef.

modage

I would definitely compare it to mother! It's a big swing and I love that but not sure that it works (for me).

What does work for me is Luca giving Ghostboy a big shout-out on The Big Picture podcast.
https://www.theringer.com/2018/11/1/18050450/luca-guadagnino-on-the-gory-glory-of-suspiria
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I'm here to say this is one of my favorite films in a VERY long time.
I get that it's a little long, but the absolute second I started to feel the length, it got so nuts that I forgot about the runtime completely. Can't wait to see it again.

Something Spanish

I understand the problem most have with this new Suspiria, either you go with the Doctor storyline or the movie won't work well for you. Swinton playing the feeble geriatric  doc was a bit distracting, maybe would have worked better had I not known she was underneath all that makeup. There is much to love about this, Guadagnino's influence being a top contender. The movie carries its weight in mood and direction.  Feels  like the only way to remake this would be adding meat to its weightless story, which as I understand seems to be the main problem for folk, the tacked on political backdrop and added storylines supposedly feel unnecessary. For the most part I loved it, was whisked away by its mystique, its deathly chrome like palette. Dakota Johnson and Swinton are both strong forces, Johnson proving her ballet chops with each tip-toed spin, Swinton giving the Grim Reaper a good run for his money. Immediately felt the need to rewatch it after stumbling bleary eyed out of the theatre at 2am. Gore  was more subdued than what I expected, the lion's share kept tightly coiled until finale, as was the overall horror. Don't get me wrong, the movie still had me freaked,  at the very least grossed out, but if you're seeking a typical horror movie this most likely will not cut it. It's much more operatic than that, throwing emotional weight around instead of trying to scare the shit out of you. There's The Nun for those more immediate sensationalist experiences. The finale still delivers the goods, and the victim mutilation is as focused upon as any Argento kill, only Guadagnino strives for more than set-piece deaths, watching his attempt is endlessly fascinating. Can't wait to see this again, which should be a while since it's disappearing from most theatres this friday.   

putneyswipe

I'll say it... this was a turd. I would say it sucks everything aesthetically interesting and fun out of the original film, but Guadignino is clearly trying really hard to do something different here, but I'm not sure what. It feels more like Zulawski's Possession than Argento, but like others have noted this really feels like territory Aronofsky did much better in Mother. I didn't love Mother, but Aronofsky is clearly one of the most talented visual directors working, so he can pull things off that would make lesser filmmakers look ridiculous. Note to filmmakers: just because you show political/cultural shit in the background doesn't automatically mean your film has subtext, it just feels forced and distracting. The scenes with the old man felt like they were out of a completely different film. There's just a shocking lack of any character involvement or tension for a 2 and a half hour film

I just don't think he's nearly a good enough director to pull this off. There's a scene in the beginning that feels like a freshman student film that forgot to storyboard. It's so bad and intentionally off-putting that it must be intentional but it just feels amateurish. Apparently shooting on 35mm doesn't automatically make your film look good if you can't compose a series of frames. Also, when will directors realize that post-production slow motion ALWAYS looks terrible?

Can someone explain to me why bland Dakota Johnson continues to get big roles? Mia Goth was the one saving grace of this for me, she's terrific and should have been the lead.