Your Favorite Thrillers?

Started by Hibborandum, July 06, 2016, 06:03:55 PM

Hibborandum

Just saw 10 Cloverfield Lane and Midnight Special both exceptionally good films and I love them. I was looking around to see if I could find any more new similar thrillers, found a couple that look EXCEPTIONALLY good!!! Any more suggestions?

THE WELL

www.imdb.com/title/tt3316624

MORGAN

www.imdb.com/title/tt4520364

THE SHALLOWS
www.imdb.com/title/tt4052882

POST YOUR NEW & OLD FAVORITE THRILLERS!!!! :bravo: :) :waving: :rofl:

Jeremy Blackman

Welcome!

I'm not a thriller connoisseur or anything, but...

NEW: Based on your picks, I highly recommend The Invitation.

OLD: Haven't seen it, but apparently The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) is an amazing thriller.

Lottery

Just a quick list of really good ones and ones that embody the genre well.

No Country for Old Men
Mulholland Drive
Sorcerer
Perfect Blue
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Memories of Murder
Drive/Only God Forgives
The Conversation
Vertigo
Major and minor Fincher movies (Seven, The Game, Fight Club, Panic Room, Zodiac, TGWTDT, Gone Girl)
Inception/Memento
The Ghost Writer
Children of Men
High and Low
The Silence of the Lambs
Heat
The Raid (2)

Lots of genre crossover (I guess I'm not too sure what a thriller is).

OstrichRidingCowboy

This could also be used as my response to the Taste/Perspective topic,
(if "vicious satire" aligns with "thriller" in any way)

Battle Royale, Godard's Weekend, The Boss of it All, this scene:

Since dreams are to align, not to change nor
to grow, whatever are the really for?

Sleepless

When I think thriller, I generally tend to think of horror movies that have a heavy sense of atmosphere, suspense, psychological fear and/or are disturbing; but really a thriller can belong to any genre so long as the film contains those qualities in spades.

Some movies which somewhat fit the bill:

• The Orphanage
  • Orphan
  • Compliance
  • Eyes Wide Shut
  • Side Effects
  • A Tale of Two Sisters
  • A Simple Plan
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

^^ I was going to say 'A Simple Plan' too. It's so expertly crafted, the world and characters feel absolutely real. No matter how many times I see it, the death sequences always bring up a palpable sense of dread.

'Cape Fear' (1991) I watched this recently. It's Scorsese's only true attempt at a horror film, and for that fact I love how the majority of it is so blasted with light. You almost get the impression that he thought "you know what? my movies don't have enough sun in them." and got it all out of his system in one go. Deniro and Nolte are in their physical prime. I don't know if Deniro has played as threatening a presence since, save his performance in 'This Boys Life'. It took me awhile to come around to this because it doesn't have the same 'Flash' as Scorsese's other work, and there's a huge lull in the 3rd act before the climax, but with all the shitty remakes we've dealt with since, you have to admit this is a damn good one.

The Fourth Man

Directed by Paul Verhoeven.

This is really out there. I had no idea where it was going when I first saw it and found myself surprised and delighted at that. You can see a lot of the origins for 'Basic Instinct' here, but it's so much weirder.  It opened my eyes to how European directors are WAY more willing to explore dark sexual themes, finding true drama and horror in that instead of simply physical violence. I don't even recall much of the plot, so I probably owe myself a refresher, but if you give this a shot you won't be disappointed.

Hibborandum

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 06, 2016, 07:40:35 PM
Welcome!

I'm not a thriller connoisseur or anything, but...

NEW: Based on your picks, I highly recommend The Invitation.

OLD: Haven't seen it, but apparently The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) is an amazing thriller.

Thanks, both films sounds really intriguing, The Invitation & Pelham on my watch list!!! :)

Hibborandum

Can't wait to see ARRIVAL - my most anticipated film of 2016!:)

Hibborandum

What's the best thriller of 2016? My two cents, Stranger Things!

www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334

Hibborandum

What am I looking forward to 2017? The Well sounds awesome!

www.imdb.com/title/tt3316624

Jeremy Blackman

How "well" are they paying you?  :)

Hibborandum

Something Spanish

Green Room is a really good one.
And while I didn't like it, Don't Breathe seems to be a popular one.

I haven't seen 10 Cloverfield or Midnight Special yet, but from what I read they sound more like psychological thrillers.

Hibborandum

Quote from: Something Spanish on December 17, 2016, 09:42:00 AM
Green Room is a really good one.
And while I didn't like it, Don't Breathe seems to be a popular one.

I haven't seen 10 Cloverfield or Midnight Special yet, but from what I read they sound more like psychological thrillers.

Why didn't you like Don't Breathe, would be interesting to hear? It's one of my favorite movies of 2016! :)

Hibborandum

A CURE FOR WELLNESS, new thriller that looks awesome!