all hail the queen! etc.

boogienights

Quote from: KJ on February 09, 2018, 06:25:02 PM
fuck harvey.

all hail the queen! etc.

Here, here! She sounds awesome!

BB

Quote from: boogienights on February 09, 2018, 02:07:02 PM
I understand why IV lost money, but I'm surprised The Master did and this isn't looking good.

Man, the vast majority of people I know haven't ever heard of any of these movies. A bunch of my friends who are into movies (more mainstream fare) hadn't heard of Phantom Thread until I mentioned it ("...the guy who did There Will Be Blood.").

These are weird times. Film culture has never been more robust yet its station is diminished. PTA will be fine and the next PTA best-of-a-generation filmmaker will be fine too. I don't know what's gonna happen after that though.

Punch Drunk Hate

Quote from: Punch Drunk Hate on February 08, 2018, 09:27:08 PM
The closest theater playing the film is 48 minutes away from where I reside. It's supposedly coming soon according to my local theater site, though I have little faith there will be a substantially time slot for the film.  It makes me jealous of those who live in the big cities that have showings before the rest of the country can see the picture.

So, my local theater is playing this next week. What's the problem here? The only showing is at 9:20, which means I'll have to get my ass down there as soon as possible. Theater chains really screwed up the momentum by making these ridiculous scheduling sessions.

Fuzzy Dunlop

jenkins

"But the snipe, the great snipe, the jack snipe, the woodcock in their season, the quail, the curlew?"

that's a line from Bulgakov's The Master & Margarita which alerted to me to the fact a woodcock is not only a bird but a bird served at the finest restaurant in Moscow.

that's a woodcock (with a worm in its beak). i just hadn't realized that and someone might very well have mentioned this already.

on top of that, i had before thought of a "phantom thread" in relation to a "phantom pattern" and therefore thought of it as illusory, but that's true and not true. because you see i went to the Museum of Jurassic Technology and i spent 80% of my time there reading about Athanasius Kircher and magnetism. basically Kircher presented magnetism as a unified theory, which unified theory is what science craves. his exhibit was titled "The World is Bound with Secret Knots". the theory is that the world is composed of synthesis and antithesis and this is all magnetism which relates to, for example, gravity and love.

so i still think of the phantom thread as being composed of love (certainly whether it's a love of self or a love for others has been a hot topic), but i'm able to picture this thread within a larger concept.

Drenk

The deleted scenes for the BR/Day will last five minutes. I was hoping a twenty minutes short like Back Beyond. It's a nice way to put together footage you didn't use.

The camera tests: eight minutes.

The fake Woodcock show: two minutes.
Ascension.

jviness02

Aside from Criterion, it seems special features have kind of been forgotten about. Possibly a casuality of streaming.

csage97

Quote from: Drenk on February 11, 2018, 08:33:42 AM
The deleted scenes for the BR/Day will last five minutes. I was hoping a twenty minutes short like Back Beyond. It's a nice way to put together footage you didn't use.

The camera tests: eight minutes.

The fake Woodcock show: two minutes.

I'm pretty satisfied with the kind of content they're putting on there. As a tech junkie, the camera tests and the photos by Michael Bauman are wonderful. And then as someone who works in the audio industry and as a Certified Radiohead Maniac, I'm very excited for the score demos.

The timing is a bit short ... but ehh, I can't really ask for more, and I'll be glad for quality content over quantity.

Lewton

The Cinema Scope review of the film (don't read it if you're totally avoiding spoilers) includes this line:

Quote from: A large debt is owed to Daniel Day-Lewis, an actor who inspires some of Anderson's best instincts and who co-wrote the screenplay, but apparently begged out of sharing screen credit.

Is this just speculation on the writer's part, or does it have some basis in an interview or something? Day-Lewis begged to be uncredited?

As far as I understand, DDL contributed research, but didn't do any of the actual writing. He also helped PTA reorient the dialogue so that it sounded authentically British (Manville did something similar during production). So, he researched and advised on the script, but that doesn't technically qualify as writing, right? I'm not sure if this has something to do with WGA rules about what does or doesn't constitute a co-writer credit.

I'm just trying to get a more accurate idea of the preproduction process. This particular point has been a bit foggy -- for me, anyway -- since the beginning.

Jeremy Blackman

Seems to me that DDL would get a story by credit at most. Didn't PTA describe them walking around and discussing the concept? I don't think they were handing the pen back and forth or anything like that. PTA also tends to emphasize the efforts of his collaborators when talking about the process, so his words should be viewed with that in mind.

Lewton

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on February 19, 2018, 05:48:28 PM
Seems to me that DDL would get a story by credit at most.

That was my initial thought, as well, but it's still hard to say. If PTA arrived with the basic bones of the thing -- the general gist, even if they didn't decide on the dressmaker aspect until later -- and Day-Lewis supplemented it through good research, then perhaps that doesn't warrant a "story by" credit?

Keep in mind, of course, that I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about.

wilberfan

I've wondered about this since the first post-screening Q&A.  Everything I've heard since makes it sound (to my ear) like DDL helped shape the story and was involved to the point that I've never understood why PTA gets sole screening writing credit on this film.  Contrast that to the story we were presented with of him writing Magnolia by himself in Macy's (Vermont?) cabin (with the snake outside as incentive).  But here, too, I'm not familiar with WGA rules that might dictate who's considered responsible for what in terms of actual screen credit.

Shughes

I feel like it's more likely that DDL's contribution was all just part of their collaboration - in a similar way that Producers will develop a script or story with a director - they are not writing the film and nor should they get a writing credit but rather putting the work in as part of their existing role. Film is a collaborative medium. I (can only) imagine that DDL embraced having such an input and that the collaboration was so open - people like to affect change and make a difference. PTA discussed a similar working process on TWBB which was also surprising to hear, but really great.

Lewton

This conversation reminds me that I recently came across a YouTube video of Tony Kushner, circa Lincoln, mentioning that DDL "is a great writer in his own right," or something along those lines. This, along with recent reports that DDL has been taking meetings in the interest of possibly producing some films, makes me wonder if he will ever try his hand at writing his own movie.

I do hope PTA convinces him to come back so that DDL and Joaquin Phoenix can play brothers or something, but if not, then I'm hoping whatever he does next will still be something artistic that will be put out for public consideration. Day-Lewis behind the camera, or putting pen to paper in some capacity, sounds very interesting to me and there are reasons to believe he'd excel at either one of those challenges.