Author Topic: Phantom Thread  (Read 71985 times)

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • Respect: +169
Re: Phantom Thread
« Reply #255 on: October 23, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
+1
Looks good. Anderson seems back to being relaxed in camera movement for casual scenes. Seems like he is combining slower paced tone of his recent historical films with techniques that flooded his early films. I doubt he ever makes a film that tries to be Magnolia or Boogie Nights again, but I think that's a good thing too.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +157
« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
I doubt he ever makes a film that tries to be Magnolia or Boogie Nights again, but I think that's a good thing too.

I doubt it, too--but I'd love to see a late-career return to that kind of youthful energy.  Just to prove he could still pull it off.
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

Fernando

• satan's little helper
  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +236
« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »
+1
I love the trailer although it showed too much for my taste, I kind of expected a trailer in the fashion of EWS.

Anyway, my anticipation for this movie has skyrocketed.

That poster is so bland tbh.

Thought this was an interesting reaction. 

https://twitter.com/luv_2read/status/922476086344105985

I hear her but that is the reality of that world.

budwillies

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2017, 10:53:58 AM »
So when do you think it will be shown to critics? Late November? Do you think this will make any festivals?

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2017, 11:04:02 AM »
I don't have a twitter. Can someone check what 3 accounts @phantom_thread is following now? It was following 0 yesterday.

The usual. Universal. Annapurna. Focus Features.
I'm so many people.

wilberfan

« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
I love the trailer although it showed too much for my taste, I kind of expected a trailer in the fashion of EWS.

Anyway, my anticipation for this movie has skyrocketed.

That poster is so bland tbh.

Thought this was an interesting reaction. 

https://twitter.com/luv_2read/status/922476086344105985

I hear her but that is the reality of that world.

Poster doesn't feel bland to me.  I got kind of a "classy" vibe off of it.  And, yes, the reality of THE world is that older men are often attracted to younger women (and vice-versa).

Bleep

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
+1
Alexander McQueen sewed secret obscene scribblings (phrases and pictures) into the linings of garments he worked on during his time as an apprentice at Anderson & Sheppard back in the late 1980s. (See Andrew Wilson's biography, p. 50.)

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2017, 11:08:30 AM »
+1
By the way, this does look very much like a Mike Leigh film. The rumor about PTA doing Mike Leigh may be correct.

I wondered that, but I'm not going there. A period piece featuring a small technical crew is generally going to look a certain way. Mike Leigh and Ken Loach have made a career of doing those kind of films. They flooded the market for standards when it come to independent British filmmaking.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
By the way, this does look very much like a Mike Leigh film. The rumor about PTA doing Mike Leigh may be correct.

I wondered that, but I'm not going there. A period piece featuring a small technical crew is generally going to look a certain way. Mike Leigh and Ken Loach have made a career of doing those kind of films. They flooded the market for standards when it come to independent British filmmaking.

Yes. I have seen the first two frames of the trailer and it looked like a PTA movie to me. In England.
I'm so many people.

wilberfan

« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2017, 11:18:15 AM »
It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

Or does it?   :ponder:

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
Yes. I have seen the first two frames of the trailer and it looked like a PTA movie to me. In England.

LMAO just watch the trailer dude. It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

No? And I saw them because it begins automatically on Twitter. I don't like to let my mind beginning to fill the holes with a trailer especially for a Paul Thomas Anderson movie—these rare gems. I imagined a whole part about Freddy's time in the war for The Master because of the trailers and teasers and was disappointed in a totally irrational way. I don't care about the plot.
I'm so many people.

wilberfan

« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2017, 11:23:44 AM »
It doesn't reveal too much of the plot.

Or does it?   :ponder:

Deceptive trailer for sure. Just to lure the mainstream audiences. Remember the Inherent Vice trailer?
Kinda has a Downton Abbey feel to it LOL.

Yes.  "Downton Abbey".  "The Crown".  Should definitely get the over-50 crowd into the theaters...or at least get their attention.

convalescent_k

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
+2
looks great.  understated in a sublime way.  also, stately as fuck.

wilberfan

« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2017, 11:59:39 AM »
"You can sew almost anything into the canvas of a coat.  When I was a boy, I started to hide things in the linings of the garments.  Things that only I knew were there.  Secrets."

Try this experiment:  Rewatch the trailer, holding the idea that Woodcock is a homosexual in 1950's London...  Every scene could be viewed as consistent with that.   

Or a total misdirect.

KJ

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +332
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2017, 02:28:48 PM »
i thought it would look a lot more "out there" considering inherent vice and the master, but i'm not getting that vibe from the trailer at all. maybe this is more low-key then I originally thought. there's some good moments, but nothing got me as exiting as the first the master teaser or twbb trailer.

also, hello oscars?

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy