Radiohead- Daydreaming

Started by Larry, May 06, 2016, 10:06:49 AM

Larry

Director

ono

You should post that in, you know, the actual thread: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=9026.0

jenkins

Larry i never get it either. i don't even think this is confusing. no one shat their paints over the Hot Knife thread being different from the official Fiona Apple thread, but this world is fast and cruel, and recently i was reminded that people who can't control their own emotions try to control other people's emotions, although let's call that unrelated.

me, i like Radiohead but they're idolized like PTA, which kills my boner, and indeed here the two converge. thanks for the thread, i'm 100% sure that the dozen people here will be able to overcome this situation.

Marty McSuperfly

I love all his recent films, but just seeing modern California interiors along with the steadicam and (I'm presuming) Robert Elswit's cinematography gave me major Magnolia/PDL nostalgia.

polkablues

Quote from: ono on May 06, 2016, 10:14:25 AM
You should post that in, you know, the actual thread: http://xixax.com/index.php?topic=9026.0

Seeing as all anyone's doing in the other thread is talking about PTA's direction, I would submit that this actually is the proper place for the video to have been posted.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

this played in 35mm at the New Beverly before these movies:

that means i had no idea this was going to play before the movies. QT is great at being a movie person. it's especially the end of this video which had a more vibrant intensity in the theater setting.

Jeremy Blackman

Get a load of these batshit theories about Radiohead and PTA's "Daydreaming" video

http://www.avclub.com/article/get-load-these-batshit-theories-about-radiohead-an-248403

VIDEO HERE

Paul Thomas Anderson's films contain a rare depth, revealing new subtleties after every viewing. They have been increasingly composed to leave the viewer with questions, evolving from the "What the fuck?" ending of Magnolia to the elliptical nature of The Master and the appropriately Pynchonian intricacies of Inherent Vice. So it's worth devoting some obsessiveness to the director's video for Radiohead's "Daydreaming," which juxtaposes the surrealist premise of an endless journey through teleporting doors with clean, naturalistic settings: laundromats, kitchens, hospitals, and so on.

And boy, some obsessive attention has been paid! Thanking, at the outset, the Radiohead subreddit, a new video analysis by Rishi Kaneria goes full-on Room 237 with the seven-minute work, wrapping seemingly every disparate detail into a unified theory of Radiohead. That wheel on the wall is a reference to "Airbag" (from 1997)! The song is 6:24, but 6=2+4! His outfit is by Rick Owen, and Thom Yorke had just broken up with a woman named Rachel Owen!

Still, these sorts of obsessive readings are a lot of fun (as evidenced by Room 237), and Kaneria's general analysis is valid—that the song is about Thom Yorke's breakup with his longtime partner, as well as the tension between domesticity and big-time artistic dreams. The recurring images of women and motherhood are hard to deny, as well as the video's reverse narrative of death to birth. Whether or not Yorke, Anderson, and co. meticulously placed six places for coats as a subtle reference to ancient numerological notions of maternity or something, well, that is up to you.