Taxi Driver

Started by Keener, April 25, 2003, 08:49:16 PM

cine

Quote from: wantautopia?Taxi Driver SPOILERS
I always assumed Bickle died at the end.  I mean, WTF?
Yes, this is why I think it's a terrible idea. Because there's people out there who firmly believes this.. even though without a sequel, we'd never know for sure.

UncleJoey

This is probably the worst idea I've heard in years.  Both of those guys are just so much better than this. I'm sure it won't happen, but I'm ashamed of DeNiro for even making the idea public. I'd rather see 10 sequels for Showtime than even hear a rumor about a Taxi Driver sequel.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

Ghostboy

Being that this bit of new was copied and pasted from IMDB's celebrity news section, it's most likely actual source is a British Tabloid, which are known to misconstrue, misrepresent and misquote their subjects. It's one paragraph of extrapolated conjecture based on one sentence from DeNiro, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

That said, I'm against the idea in theory too, but there's no doubt it would be interesting.

lamas

SPOILER

why did you guys think Bickle died?  thought the last scene was a hokey dream sequence did ya?

Gold Trumpet

Actually, I don't mind the idea. I don't believe it will happen, but I don't mind it. The movie is not the masterpiece for me everyone says it is. I never got the feeling in the film of a Vietnam vet going through torture after being reassembled back into life. People say it's that. I thought anyone could have been Travis Bickle. The film never really tried to clarify. Only Scorsese did in interviews and I thought he was trying to be topical with that connection.

Alethia

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe movie is not the masterpiece for me everyone says it is.

BURN THE WITCH!

meatball

I agree with you, Trumpet. It isn't all about being a vet. I think what people connect with in Travis Bickle is the torment he's going through inside of himself.

cine

Quote from: MeatballI think what people connect with in Travis Bickle is the torment he's going through inside of himself.
or, um, loneliness?

meatball

Quote from: cinephile
Quote from: MeatballI think what people connect with in Travis Bickle is the torment he's going through inside of himself.
or, um, loneliness?

Which leads to torment?

cine

Quote from: Meatball
Quote from: cinephile
or, um, loneliness?

Which leads to torment?
people may feel torment for their loneliness, but when you say "the torment he's going through inside of himself", i figured you were referring to his bitter hatred for the people around him and how much they disgust him as human beings.. since, thats the focus of the entire story....

meatball

Alexandro

de niro mentioned the possibility of a taxi driver sequel "20 years later" back when he was at Inside the Actor's Studio...when he said that, Lipton almost starts drooling and said: "would't that be intersting?", and some members of the audience applauded...but I always thought it was a shitty idea, mainly because both de niro and scorsese havent't worked in those kind of economical conditions in decades, and because their sensibilities have changed. I don't mean to say they "sold out" or anything, just that it would be impossible to repeat the kind of atmosphere taxi driver has...

tpfkabi

do you even think Travis Bickle would live for 20 more years after the events of Taxi Driver?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MeatballI agree with you, Trumpet. It isn't all about being a vet. I think what people connect with in Travis Bickle is the torment he's going through inside of himself.

You agree with part, but may disagree with my further thoughts that I think the film hardly even clarifies what really alienates Travis Bickle in the first place. As a tour de force through his mind as it free falls into insanity, its a great film. And I'd still argue for the film on that basis, but it seems an easier accomplish to tell that story then it is to tell how he really became that way. Its the same problem I had with The Believer a few years back when the film focused on the irony of a Jew waving the Nazi Flag instead of going in depth to say what made him that way. Also, there are also some more genuinely disturbing (and talented) films to have come about since then that deal with subjects similiar to Taxi Driver. I'd qualify I Stand Alone as an even more harrowing and intoxicating film about loneliness and torment gone to extremes.

And also, on second thought, maybe I wouldn't sign a petition to see a sequel made. My first initial "Yes" was because I believed the original could have been improved upon in so many ways but I don't trust Scorsese to really improve upon the original the way I see it. He's treating his first as gold and even though he won't be thinking he's just cashing in, its more than likely a sequel would be another story of Travis Bickle's torment and loneliness, a true remake than anything else. Remember The Color of Money.....

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

this is a worse idea than "More American Graffiti"

ie Ron Howard with a moustache