Taxi Driver

Started by Keener, April 25, 2003, 08:49:16 PM

Keener

Somebody got to make the topic...might as well be me ! A true classic for me. My stepdad told me about it in 1999 when I was but the tender age of 14. After renting it, I immediately fell in love with it. It was one of the first great films I saw,  having prior been a typical viewer of current Hollywood crapfests. Good memories. I like to think this is the movie that sent me over as a film lover.
Alabama Film Forum
Uniting film lovers and filmmakers of Alabama

Recce

Indeed it is. Did you know that the MPAA freaked out over all the blood in the last scene, so they had them make it more orangish in post. That's why it looks so fake. Like it really accomplishes anything. Stupid MPAA. They should burn in hell.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Ghostboy

Yeah...this movie is something else. A huge inspiration. I first saw it when I was thirteen, when it got that remastered re-release in the mid nineties. I had always been aware of it, but it was thanks to Pulp Fiction (the movie that awakened me cinematically) that I actually sought it out.  Perfect timing.

Anyone who doesn't have the Special Edition DVD...go get it and check out the documentary. Its really insightful.

pipo

Quote from: RecceIndeed it is. Did you know that the MPAA freaked out over all the blood in the last scene, so they had them make it more orangish in post. That's why it looks so fake. Like it really accomplishes anything. Stupid MPAA. They should burn in hell.
Schrader is still trying to find out where the original negatives are to re-make it well, but they are still "missing" , maybe at the basement of some "church of the last days".
Hi, Just passed by...

Keener

It's really silly what the MPAA will make a movie do. Regardless, I love the movie. I love in the DVD how they show the effects used to make the shoot out scenes work. It was really interesting but perhaps the most interesting part was the hole in the ceiling used to film the amazing look over scene.
Alabama Film Forum

ShanghaiOrange

Taxi Driver is a movie that is good. :)
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Recce

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeTaxi Driver is a movie that is good. :)
Wow...Deep, man...deep.

Yeah, for those of you who don't have the DVD and haven't seen the documentary mentionned earlier in this thread, apparently, they cut through the floor to get the shot from above with the cops coming into the room, but they weakened the supports for the entire building and it started caving in on itself, so they had to brace it. All for one shot. SCORSESE RULES!!!
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

pipo

That's the way it should be, no barriers for giving the best, that shows how much love Scorsese has doing his films. I wonder if the house owner ever knew about this.lol
I saw too that he replaced the actor playing the role of the revengeful husband sitting behind de Niro.  He did it great, he convinced me and made me angry and cicken-hearted at the same time.
Hi, Just passed by...

Keener

Another thing I love is how he had several disagreements with the film crew who didn't understand his angles. They thought he was insane...little did they realize those unique angles are what made the movie so classic.

Same thing happened with Tarantino on Reservoir Dogs. Nobody thought the breakfast scene would look right the way he explained he was going to film it. Now they all see how gorgeous it works and fits.
Alabama Film Forum

Cecil

Quote from: KeenerAnother thing I love is how he had several disagreements with the film crew who didn't understand his angles. They thought he was insane...little did they realize those unique angles are what made the movie so classic.

same thing happened to me when i shot 90 and 180 degree shots in a scene (yeah thats right, its upside down). but whether or not this will be "classic" is yet to be seen

pipo

Not only that, but the reason why (money-time-fun) Scorsese did the job second unit could have had done was really a proove that it works way better when even those little insignificant details are made by the same (dreamer) director.  I loved the CUs of the cab driving alont the wet-night lighted streets. Maybe a good reason to change something.
Hi, Just passed by...

Sigur Rós

I fuckin' love this film. I've never seen a better De Niro.

ElPandaRoyal

QuotePulp Fiction (the movie that awakened me cinematically)

exactly the same here. it was a friday night and watched it on TV.... blew my little 14 or 15 year old mind.

As for Taxi Driver, well, it's one of my favourite movies ever. Simple as that :) It talks a lot about my personal obcessions, fears and moods..... great acting, great script, great directing, great music. Scorsese's best.  8)
Si

Lucinda Bryte

I didn't like Taxi Driver much...

Flame me please...

I want to love this movie but I can't!

Why?!

***beady***

Dunno why you didn't like. But I loved it. And it was one of my happiest moments when I had to study it in my film class. I don't even need to say that De Niro and Scorsese are wicked. But I shall.