Not-so-Classics, classics.

Started by Kev Hoffman, April 25, 2003, 12:07:26 PM

sphinx

this is what happened

. sphinx sees lock stock for the first time many years ago
. sphinx raves to others about how amazing it is
. sphinx is dimismissed
. years later, snatch is released
. everyone sees it and raves to sphinx about how amazing it is, who thinks it is only mediocre in comparison to lock stock
. sphinx makes them see lock stock
. enlightenment

RegularKarate

-Everyone sees Lock Stock and tells RK how great it is
-RK finally sees Lock Stock and tells everyone that recomended it to him to never recomend a movie to him again.
-Out of morbid curriosity, RK tries to watch Snatch
-After twenty minutes, RK sets fire to the disk, runs it over with his car and tries to convince Blockbuster that's how he found it.
-RK is arrested for driving his car into Blockbuster and repeated running over the "S" section of the new release wall.

Ernie

^Lol. I'm not sure I like Snatch anymore either...I don't know. I definitely don't hate it...I've just seen so much since I was a real hardcore fan of it (translation: I've discovered Scorsese).

Tarantino is better than Ritchie anyway.

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: ebeaman69^Lol. I'm not sure I like Snatch anymore either...I don't know. I definitely don't hate it...I've just seen so much since I was a real hardcore fan of it (translation: I've discovered Scorsese).

Tarantino is better too...concerning the hip violent movies.

I don't know though, ebeaman, what does Snatch have to do with Martin Scorsese? I'd say it's more of a Tarantino rip-off than anything (or perhaps it's a Guy Ritchie rip-off).

Don't believe me? Think of this -- coke made Vanilla Coke, which everyone was curious about and enjoyed. Now, Pepsi made Vanilla Pepsi because of Vanilla Coke's success. Maybe the scientists over at Pepsi really tried hard to make a great product, but the bottom line is this --- the Pepsi CEO's wouldn't have demanded their company to produce Vanilla Pepsi unless Vanilla Coke were successful.

Ernie

Quote from: MrBurgerKing
Quote from: ebeaman69^Lol. I'm not sure I like Snatch anymore either...I don't know. I definitely don't hate it...I've just seen so much since I was a real hardcore fan of it (translation: I've discovered Scorsese).

I don't know though, ebeaman, what does Snatch have to do with Martin Scorsese? I'd say it's more of a Tarantino rip-off than anything (or perhaps it's a Guy Ritchie rip-off).

Don't believe me? Think of this -- coke made Vanilla Coke, which everyone was curious about and enjoyed. Now, Pepsi made Vanilla Pepsi because of Vanilla Coke's success. Maybe the scientists over at Pepsi really tried hard to make a great product, but the bottom line is this --- the Pepsi CEO's wouldn't have demanded their company to produce Vanilla Pepsi unless Vanilla Coke were successful.

That's true, it definitely was more of a Tarintino rip off. What I was saying was...when I discovered Scorsese, my expectations for EVERY type of film were brought up a notch or two, especially if they were violent. Same thing happened when I discovered PTA, and more recently David Gordon Green. And Kubrick. And Altman. And Truffaut. And Godard. And many others.

Concerning the vanilla coke thing: one could argue that the everyday joe that started the idea of putting real vanilla in regular cokes had a lot to do with the idea of it...maybe even more to do with it than the manufacturers who followed through with it and produced it worldwide. So, therefore...coke wouldn't have led to vanilla coke. It was done before it was manufactured. It wasn't thought of to make more money. It was thought of by a normal guy or girl that was bored with regular coke. At least that's what my mom told me, that they were putting vanilla in coke way before they were selling it. But then, who am I? I fell hard for cherry mountain dew.

MrBurgerKing

Quote from: ebeaman69
Quote from: MrBurgerKing

That's true, it definitely was more of a Tarintino rip off. What I was saying was...when I discovered Scorsese, my expectations for EVERY type of film were brought up a notch or two, especially if they were violent. Same thing happened when I discovered PTA, and more recently David Gordon Green. And Kubrick. And Altman. And Truffaut. And Godard. And many others.

Ohh, okay.. so you're saying when you discovered Scorsese your expectations for every type of film were brought up a notch or two, especially if they were violent.. I understand now.. thanks for clarifying that.

Tiff

...pepsi made vanilla pepsi?
"Shut the fuck up!"

Raikus

Okay, here we go:

Mulholland Drive (I got it, I just thought it wasn't worth getting. Silencio indeed)
Glengarry Glenross (finally saw it today--been on my list for a while--and I'm frankly not too impressed. As much as people talked it up I was expecting a lot more than excellent deliveries prefacing a very dull story)
Rules of Attraction (downright loathed this movie. Terrible waste of time)
Taxi Driver (I've tried again and again to like this--and there are some parts that I thoroughly enjoy--but as a whole, nya ah)
Requiem for a Dream (again with the trying. Again with the nya ah)
Waking Life (Jesus, if I wanted to wax philosophical I'd go hang out at Dodd Hall and chat up all the hippies)
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

lamas

The Matrix - to really like this movie I've always felt you have to look at alot of the scenes and characters and think they are so "cool".  Sorry.  I can't.

American Beauty - thought it was a pretty pathetic attempt at showing familial dysfunctionality.  Maybe my senses were dulled after already having seen Happiness.  Never thought Spacey had much talent either.

Leaving Las Vegas - pretty inaccurate portrayal of a drunk and piss-poor dialog.  Watch Barfly written by a real drunk, Charles Bukowski.

sphinx

Quote from: RaikusWaking Life (Jesus, if I wanted to wax philosophical I'd go hang out at Dodd Hall and chat up all the hippies)

yeah, but nobody's really shoving the movie down your throat, are they?

i admit it's a philisophically heavy movie, but i guess you have to be in the mood for it.  or you can just hate it

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

Quote from: RaikusOkay, here we go:

Mulholland Drive (I got it, I just thought it wasn't worth getting. Silencio indeed)
Glengarry Glenross (finally saw it today--been on my list for a while--and I'm frankly not too impressed. As much as people talked it up I was expecting a lot more than excellent deliveries prefacing a very dull story)
Rules of Attraction (downright loathed this movie. Terrible waste of time)
Taxi Driver (I've tried again and again to like this--and there are some parts that I thoroughly enjoy--but as a whole, nya ah)
Requiem for a Dream (again with the trying. Again with the nya ah)
Waking Life (Jesus, if I wanted to wax philosophical I'd go hang out at Dodd Hall and chat up all the hippies)

please try watching glenn gary again -- i think its one of the best ensemble casts ever to be put on celluloid. shelly the machine levine, is also one of the most perfectly realized "tragic hero"... ALWAYS BE CLOSING.
...your excuses are your own...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe fast pace storytelling

...is what I liked about the movie, but that's so meaningless and generic, and can really be done with any movie. You could even call it laziness or impatience.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpettrying to create personalities within a congomerate character to push the latter forward in getting the point across

But Goodfellas really sincerely tries to differentiate individuals from the whole. It doesn't go for either extreme (all character or no character), so I think it fails. There's no balance with something like that... it's all or nothing.

Ghostboy

Oh, I thought of a good one. Fast Times At Ridgemont High. I finally watched it a few months back, and the more I think about it, the more I dislike it. It was a fluffy teen sitcom that tried to be real by including serious issues like sex and abortion -- including, but not doing justice to. It felt somewhat insulting, actually.

The swimming pool scene is great, though. That's probably the only reason the movie is a classic.

Gold Trumpet

JB,
I think we reached a stalemate where it is obvious we both got different reactions from the film personally and debatting seems milked. But, as always, it was fun. You should get into this argumentive mode some more. I feel like you are holding back in responding these days in a lot of posts.

Now, onto what I considered overrated classics, the most obvious for me is the Star Wars Trilogy. The effects for it were great, but much has dated. The plot is the most evident in it really being a B grade one. Instead of the movie supposebly being about the deep power of mthological themes, it runs closer in blood to soap opera stories. Normally, if the movie was still effective in doing this I wouldn't mind but Star Wars is built up to a seriouness where a religion has been created out of the series and people claiming it to be the best science fiction films ever. The Indiana Jones movies are like this, but imo much better handled in way of presenting the action with the story and also, they are not put as serious works. My Star Wars is Princess Mononoke, that will likely do a better job in lasting through effective action scenes and effects and resinates a billion times more powerful in deep meaning and belief.

~rougerum